uk.telecom blocked on google groups

Old July 29th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Bob Eager[_5_]

Default uk.telecom blocked on google groups

On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 13:05:32 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Gareth Babb wrote:

Graham wrote:

I have "tweeted" Peter Gradwell on the basis that he is the highest
profile person I know of connected to uk.telecom Was he the original
proposer?

You are ****ing joking aren't you ? He is but a child.

I get the feeling Gradwell are a mere shadow of what they used to be
(they used to implement novel services, then gradually let them all
slide into legacy status and discontinued them) now I think they're just
another office365 re-seller :-(

Yes, I was buying one service from them which they discontinued at very
short notice. Cue scramble to get a replacement in place - I was just
about to renew the yearly contract.

I wouldn't touch Gradwell with a barge pole now.
Old July 30th 18, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Friday, 27 July 2018 13:05:36 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
I get the feeling Gradwell are a mere shadow of what they used to be
(they used to implement novel services, then gradually let them all
slide into legacy status and discontinued them) now I think they're just
another office365 re-seller :-(

Gradwell Communications yesterday emailed clients - mostly fellow small businesses - to let them know that it has offloaded the cloud services "assets".
Founder and CTO Peter Gradwell told The Reg the plan is to concentrate only on its 22,000 VoIP and Connectivity customers.

The Register, 12 June 2018.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...ategic_review/

Owain

Old August 1st 18, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Charles Lindsey

On 24/07/18 15:30, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 24/07/18 15:27, Graham. wrote:

Half the spam I see seems to have originated on Google Groups so they're
fine ones to talk if you ask me.

Half?
I challenge you to find a single "credit-card fraud" post that wasn't
made via GG.

Please can you show me the headers of such "credit-card fraud" posts as
you can find. It is clear that Google would be breaking the law if they
let one be seen on their website, because they usually exhibit the PPI
(personal information) of some Real people. That is why they are so
touchy about it, and why they shut the group up a second time, after
reopening it for just a single day.

Also, have these spams been seen on any other Usenet group?

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At my New Home, still doing my own
thing-----------
Old August 1st 18, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Charles Lindsey wrote:

Please can you show me the headers of such "credit-card fraud" posts as
you can find. It is clear that Google would be breaking the law if they
let one be seen on their website, because they usually exhibit the PPI
(personal information) of some Real people.

I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,
just "offers" related to credit card, western union etc payments.
Old August 2nd 18, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
David Woolley

On 01/08/18 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:
I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,
just "offers" related to credit card, western union etc payments.

I would strongly suspect that the offers are scams, to attract people on
the edge of the criminal world. I doubt that there is any credit card
data to be supplied.

Unfortunately, I kill the threads on these, and they have, of course
stopped, since the injection point, Google Groups, was disabled. I may
still have the posting, but I'd have to find out how to unkill them.

I'm not sure why uk.telecom gets targetted. My guess is it is low
volume, not a core hierarchy, but widely propagated. I guess that
regional groups are less likely to get spam cancelled.
Old August 2nd 18, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

David Woolley wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,
just "offers" related to credit card, western union etc payments.

I would strongly suspect that the offers are scams, to attract people on
the edge of the criminal world.* I doubt that there is any credit card
data to be supplied.

There were certainly complaints/warnings from people who appeared to
have been taken in by the scams and were complaining they never got "the
goods", there's one born every minute.

Unfortunately, I kill the threads on these, and they have, of course
stopped, since the injection point, Google Groups, was disabled.* I may
still have the posting, but I'd have to find out how to unkill them.

As you use thunderbird, it depends if you marked the message/thread as
ignored or deleted it, if the former try

Old August 2nd 18, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Charles Lindsey

Charles Lindsey wrote:

Please can you show me the headers of such "credit-card fraud" posts
as you can find. It is clear that Google would be breaking the law if
they let one be seen on their website, because they usually exhibit
the PPI (personal information) of some Real people.

s/PPI/PII/

I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,
just "offers" related to credit card, western union etc payments.

Apparently there have been some, and that is what has got Google so
trigger-happy.

Old August 2nd 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Andy Burns[_5_]

Charles Lindsey wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,

Apparently there have been some, and that is what has got Google so
trigger-happy.

I see the two messages from 13th July did include "sample track dumps",
they should be in the copies I sent you ...

Old August 2nd 18, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Theo[_2_]

In uk.telecom David Woolley wrote:
On 01/08/18 20:39, Andy Burns wrote:
I don't remember seeing any that included actual credit card details,
just "offers" related to credit card, western union etc payments.

I would strongly suspect that the offers are scams, to attract people on
the edge of the criminal world. I doubt that there is any credit card
data to be supplied.

Looking up the whois on the IP addresses (which show up in the headers),
they're from all over the world: Canada, Vietnam, US, Czech, Cameroon.
Given that some of them are datacentre machines, I suspect they're using a
botnet to post.

Theo
Old August 2nd 18, 02:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.mobile
Graham.[_3_]

On 24/07/18 15:27, Graham. wrote:

Half the spam I see seems to have originated on Google Groups so they're
fine ones to talk if you ask me.

Half?
I challenge you to find a single "credit-card fraud" post that wasn't
made via GG.

Please can you show me the headers of such "credit-card fraud" posts as
you can find. It is clear that Google would be breaking the law if they
let one be seen on their website, because they usually exhibit the PPI
(personal information) of some Real people. That is why they are so
touchy about it, and why they shut the group up a second time, after
reopening it for just a single day.

Also, have these spams been seen on any other Usenet group?

I have just sent you an example by email. It includes a "sample" that
seems to include card no PIN and contents of the two magstripe tracks.

My opinion is the chances this "sample" was ever viable is less than
zero, but what do I know about organised crime?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%