uk.telecom blocked on google groups

Old July 21st 18, 11:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default uk.telecom blocked on google groups

it appears that uk.telecom has now been blocked on google groups due to all the spam.

"Group owners can request an appeal after they have taken steps to clean up potentially offensive content in the forum"

Not sure who the 'group owner' is ...

Owain

Old July 22nd 18, 02:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Graham.[_3_]

it appears that uk.telecom has now been blocked on google groups due to all the spam.

"Group owners can request an appeal after they have taken steps to clean up potentially offensive content in the forum"

Not sure who the 'group owner' is ...

Owain

Thanks for the heads-up Owen.
Google just don't get Usenet, do they?

The message said that the group would work "read only", shades of the
Deja News archive and would be fine by me, but that seems not to be
the case, "No topics are available in this group"

Banned Content Warning
The group that you are attempting to view (uk.telecom) has been
identified as containing spam, malware or other malicious content.
Content in this group is now limited to view-only mode for those with
access.
Group owners can request an appeal after they have taken steps to
clean up potentially offensive content in the forum. For more
information about content policies on Google Groups, please see our
Help Centre article on abuse and our Terms of Service.

Ria, Only u.t is affected not its sister groups.

The irony is that all the credit-card fraud posts are via GG, we get
few if any legitimate non-UK traffic, Google could stop the spam by
filtering all the non UK IPs

I wonder if Google are continuing to archive our posts even if they
are not available to view for the present.

The spam in uk.telecom has become a bit of an "Elephant in the room",
perhaps on the basis that if we don't talk about it, it's more likely
to go away.

A further irony is I was only thinking yesterday that the S/N ratio
had improved slightly.

I propose that we either abandon uk.telecom in favour of uk.voip, or
if that feels like a capitulation, we could x-post to both groups.

The useful thing that Google does for Usenet is to archive our posts
^
ONLY
and that way we can be sure that continues.

Mindful that Ria Elaine proposed u.t.v in the first place, what do you
think?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 22nd 18, 08:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Graham J[_2_]

Graham. wrote:

[snip]
I propose that we either abandon uk.telecom in favour of uk.voip, or
if that feels like a capitulation, we could x-post to both groups.

The useful thing that Google does for Usenet is to archive our posts
^
ONLY
and that way we can be sure that continues.

Mindful that Ria Elaine proposed u.t.v in the first place, what do you
think?

Abandon uk.telecom and create a new group called uk.telecomms ???

--
Graham J

Old July 22nd 18, 09:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

wrote:

uk.telecom has now been blocked on google groups due to all the spam.

Yes, I noticed that the other day ...

Old July 22nd 18, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

Abandon uk.telecom and create a new group called uk.telecomms* ???

Don't think that would pass the naming rules nowadays, uk.tech.telecomms
Then there's fun of getting it archived by google ...

Old July 22nd 18, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 22/07/18 02:58, Graham. wrote:

and that way we can be sure that continues.

Mindful that Ria Elaine proposed u.t.v in the first place, what do you
think?

If you're asking me, I just feel it's a pity that there *is* no
administrative control over these groups, they just get created (after
more hassle than it seems worth) and then left to moulder and rot.

I'm not saying turn it into a fully moderated group, but the ability to
delete spam would be nice.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 22nd 18, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sunday, 22 July 2018 02:58:35 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
I propose that we either abandon uk.telecom in favour of uk.voip, or
if that feels like a capitulation, we could x-post to both groups.
The useful thing that Google does for Usenet is to archive our posts
^
ONLY

I confess I use GG for usenet access, because it was such a pain installing and reinstalling newsreaders and downloading history so often when the computer had to be restored (and also the only option for accessing from a browser only).

I would be sorry to see uk.telecom go completely - it's given me a great deal of pleasure over the last 20+ years (and I know that makes me a newbie in usenet terms).

uk.diy and uk.legal.moderated still seem viable; the uk.food+drink seems pretty defunct.

Owain
Old July 22nd 18, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

On 22/07/2018 11:29, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 22/07/18 02:58, Graham. wrote:

and that way we can be sure that continues.

Mindful that Ria Elaine proposed u.t.v in the first place, what do you
think?

If you're asking me, I just feel it's a pity that there *is* no
administrative control over these groups, they just get created (after
more hassle than it seems worth) and then left to moulder and rot.

I'm not saying turn it into a fully moderated group, but the ability to
delete spam would be nice.

I don't believe there is any such thing as a non-moderated group where
somebody has the power to delete posts. The ability to delete would be
no different to the ability to approve. Both 'powers' are moderation.

As another poster suggested a simple filter rule can stop you seeing the
[email protected] and you can archive the remaining posts on your own machine, this
group is not high volume by any means.

Yes, it's a shame GG no longer provide access to their archive of posts
but that's the risk you take when you allow someone else to do something
(at no cost and with no service level agreement) which you could have
done yourself.

Malcolm
Old July 22nd 18, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom
Graham.[_3_]

On 22/07/18 02:58, Graham. wrote:

[...]

Nice idea, but still fought with the danger that the data would be
lost in the fullness of time.

When Deja sold out to Google (in a secret deal IIRC) Google must have
had an incentive to buy the archive. Usenet is not really amenable to
being monetized (awful word, sorry).

So, perhaps they acquired it for altruistic reasons? No? Perhaps not,
but just maybe they wanted to preserve the archive to give prestige to
the Google Groups they subsequently muddled up with Usenet? Closer?

The displayed message implied that the quarter of a century worth of
posts of what was the principle UK Internet telecom discussion group
would remain in read only form, and hopfully would continue to archive
new posts. I would be happy with that, and as all the spam comes via
GG anyway, that problem is solved too.

So, how to proceed? Has anyone got a way of talking to Google with
half a chance of being listened to?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%