VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Old July 29th 18, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

Default VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

I am somewhat confused by this thread - can someone clarify it please?

An ATA or Analogue Telephone Adapter has a POTS phone connection on
the input and an Ethernet connection to the broadband router. If the
house has several POTS sockets then all that should be necessary is to
take their common point where they connect to the NTE5(?) and plug
that into the ATA POTS connection. As I read the thread it seems to
say that the ATA will interface the POTS phone directly to broadband
coming in on the landline - which it certainly does not - I have an
ATA sitting at the side of my desk as I type so I am familiar with the
beasts.

I can see the issue of how to port the line number to the VoIP
provider and keep the landline active. Maybe A&A can do it but I
suspect the only answer may be to have a second line activated (the
drop wire is usually two-pair anyway unless it is very old), transfer
the broadband to that line, and then port the number of the original
line ceasing it shortly thereafter. Somewhat expensive I suspect
however. OK, A&A at 42 is probably cheaper but that means changing
ISP and A&A although very good as a supplier are by no means cheap.
You gets what you pays for I suppose.....

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old July 29th 18, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Woody wrote:

I am somewhat confused by this thread

I'd say it seems you've understood it ...

Old July 29th 18, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Woody wrote:
I am somewhat confused by this thread - can someone clarify it please?

There's two ways to do VOIP:

1. Plug an ATA FXS into your BT socket. Your ATA can receive BT calls, or
VOIP calls over the internet. Your phones plug into the FXO port of the
ATA. People can ring your regular BT number or your VOIP number and your
phones ring.

2. Port your BT number to a VOIP provider and cancel your BT phone account.
You just get broadband (via cable or BB-only DSL). When people ring your
old number it connects over IP to your ATA, whose FXO port connects all your
phones.

The OP wants unhook their phones from their hard-wiring at the master socket
and instead plugging them into the FXO port of the ATA. That would apply to
#1 or #2 equally.

*Separately* they're considering doing #2, which is dumping BT providers for
voice and going all VOIP. That's where number porting comes in. But they
don't want their broadband to cease otherwise they won't be able to receive
calls over VOIP either.

(for 'BT' read 'any providers using BTOR' here)

I can see the issue of how to port the line number to the VoIP
provider and keep the landline active. Maybe A&A can do it but I
suspect the only answer may be to have a second line activated (the
drop wire is usually two-pair anyway unless it is very old), transfer
the broadband to that line, and then port the number of the original
line ceasing it shortly thereafter. Somewhat expensive I suspect
however. OK, A&A at 42 is probably cheaper but that means changing
ISP and A&A although very good as a supplier are by no means cheap.
You gets what you pays for I suppose.....

The two-line route is another option. I didn't know you usually got two
pairs - is that true for buried cables too? It might also mean some
disturbance to decorations etc, which you might not want.

Theo
Old July 29th 18, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

Andrew has not disclosed to us what kind of ATA he has, for the
purposes of my answer I have assumed it's one that just has an FXS
port. If it's a gateway with FXS and FXO ports I haven't addressed
that.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 29th 18, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Theo wrote:

I didn't know you usually got two
pairs - is that true for buried cables too?

Yes, my underground 'drop' wire has 2 pairs, it was useful when I had
PSTN for home use and ISDN/2 for business use at one time.
Old July 29th 18, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Woody wrote:
I am somewhat confused by this thread - can someone clarify it please?

There's two ways to do VOIP:

1. Plug an ATA FXS into your BT socket. Your ATA can receive BT calls, or
VOIP calls over the internet. Your phones plug into the FXO port of the
ATA. People can ring your regular BT number or your VOIP number and your
phones ring.

Shouldn't that be the other way round?
FXS to telephones
FXO to exchange line
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 29th 18, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Theo[_2_]

Graham. wrote:
Shouldn't that be the other way round?
FXS to telephones
FXO to exchange line

Probably. I can never remember which way round they are.
Old July 30th 18, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 23:41:52 +0100, Theo wrote:

Graham. wrote:
Shouldn't that be the other way round?
FXS to telephones FXO to exchange line

Probably. I can never remember which way round they are.

FXO goes to the 'central Office'.
FXS goes to a user 'Station'.
Old July 30th 18, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 29/07/18 22:29, Woody wrote:
I am somewhat confused by this thread - can someone clarify it please?

An ATA or Analogue Telephone Adapter has a POTS phone connection on
the input and an Ethernet connection to the broadband router. If the
house has several POTS sockets then all that should be necessary is to
take their common point where they connect to the NTE5(?) and plug
that into the ATA POTS connection. As I read the thread it seems to
say that the ATA will interface the POTS phone directly to broadband
coming in on the landline - which it certainly does not - I have an
ATA sitting at the side of my desk as I type so I am familiar with the
beasts.

I have structured cabling, mostly I use IP phones but I do have a couple
of numbers on a Linksys PAP2 which lives in the network rack. The
Ethernet connection obviously goes to the switch, the 2 FXS ports are
cabled to RJ45 sockets on the patch panel, where they are patched to
whichever port I want to site a phone at.

For example at the moment, Line 1 is connected to port 8 and Line 2 to
port 3, at the wall plates for these RJ45-to-BT dongles are connected
and the phones plug into these. That way I can have a phone on either
line wherever I want.

Each line from the ATA is paralleled to two RJ45 sockets on the patch
panel so I can have 2 phones on each line.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 30th 18, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Wade[_3_]

On 30/07/2018 00:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 29/07/18 22:29, Woody wrote:
[...]

I was confused, in that as far as I know you can't get broadband (other
than Virgin Media) without a landline, and if so why bother porting the
number to VOIP?

Dave