VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

Old July 30th 18, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

Default VoIP with existing wiring and an NTE5c

On 30/07/18 17:07, David Wade wrote:

I was confused, in that as far as I know you can't get broadband (other
than Virgin Media) without a landline, and if so why bother porting the
number to VOIP?

Dave

Perhaps it is a memorable number, known to friends/customers or whoever
and they want to port it so that the landline that *is* needed for
broadband can have a boring who-cares-what-it-is number..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old July 30th 18, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 17:07:22 +0100, David Wade wrote:

I was confused, in that as far as I know you can't get broadband (other
than Virgin Media) without a landline, and if so why bother porting the
number to VOIP?

Better deals on calls?
Old July 30th 18, 07:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

I was confused, in that as far as I know you can't get broadband (other
than Virgin Media) without a landline, and if so why bother porting the
number to VOIP?

Dave

Multiple simultaneous incoming calls on your cherished number.

Also, as discussed earlier, Andrews & Arnold do offer "naked"
broadband over an openreach pair, but I need to confirm if you are
tied to *their* broadband. I suspect you are, because how would you
order BB from a different supplier if the copper pair has no number?

Unless for administrative purposes it has the same number that was
ported to VoIP, but that's conjecture.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 30th 18, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham. wrote:

Andrews & Arnold do offer "naked"
broadband over an openreach pair

I'm told there is a danger to having naked broadband, when searching for
a spare pair, the likes of Kelly/Quinn have a tendency to presume that
lack of dialtone means unused and "steal" the pair ...

Old July 30th 18, 08:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have a naked A&A line along with their VDSL service and it has a line
number that can be identified by dialing 17070.

That sounds like DSL provided on an outgoing calls barred line, rather
than naked DSL.

Old July 30th 18, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Graham. wrote:

Andrews & Arnold do offer "naked"
broadband over an openreach pair

I'm told there is a danger to having naked broadband, when searching for
a spare pair, the likes of Kelly/Quinn have a tendency to presume that
lack of dialtone means unused and "steal" the pair ...

I think you read that on the A&A site. Last paragraph here.
https://aa.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

It is implied that there is no 999 service available on the pair which
I find odd given OFCOMs paranoia in this area.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 30th 18, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham. wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I'm told there is a danger to having naked broadband

I think you read that on the A&A site.

No, from an old school pal who's an openreach techie ...
Old July 30th 18, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 20:37:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have a naked A&A line along with their VDSL service and it has a line
number that can be identified by dialing 17070.

That sounds like DSL provided on an outgoing calls barred line, rather
than naked DSL.

If those two are different, what test could distinguish the situation?

Also see Technical he https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

Usually you hear a normal dialtone and you can dial 999 17070 (and
Freephone?) but if you dial a chargable number you hear NU tone after
a few keypresses.

There must be different implementations of OCB because on some lines
you hear NU as soon as you pick up the receiver.

I have also encountered a lot of lines where the exchange end was
connected to a DSLAM only and not to the switch so the line sounded as
dead as a dodo with no 48V. This was not a fault or an oversight, it
seemed to be routine for a while, but I should add that my experience
with these lines was not in a domestic or normal business setting,
they were in High Street Pharmacies connected via ADSL to the NHS "N3"
infrastructure.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old July 30th 18, 10:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Burns[_5_]

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I will try [...] 999

Not a good idea.

Old July 30th 18, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Anthony R. Gold wrote:

I have a naked A&A line along with their VDSL service and it has a line
number that can be identified by dialing 17070.

That sounds like DSL provided on an outgoing calls barred line, rather
than naked DSL.

If those two are different, what test could distinguish the situation?

Also see Technical he https://www.aaisp.net.uk/broadband-phoneline.html

Usually you hear a normal dialtone and you can dial 999 17070 (and
Freephone?) but if you dial a chargable number you hear NU tone after
a few keypresses.

I am not now at the site. I only know there is dial tone and 17070 works.
Tomorrow I will try some Freephone numbers and maybe also 101, 111 and 999.

Bear in mind that 101 is chargable.

If you really must test Emergency Services leave no doubt that it's a
test, and don't try it more than once.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%