VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Old August 14th 18, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Default VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Good lord Andy, you're a blast from the past, where've you been?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 20th 18, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
David wrote:
To be clear: are you asking for a device that will allow VoIP devices
to access your analogue line? In effect, to convert your analogue
service to VoIP?

I think what I want is a 'box' that will be plugged into my phone line and
home network. Then some way of using other devices on my home network (say
my mobile connected via Wireless) to make and receive calls via the analogue
line.

If I could also access my home analogue line from the mobile while outside
my network, that would also be of interest.

Thanks

Andy
Old August 20th 18, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Lots of possibilities here.
The simplest solution for you would be to replace your current DECT
kit with a Gigaset VoIP DECT basestation and handsets.

You can always use an app on your phone like CSipSimple to access the
same VoIP service that you use at home when you are out and about.

Ideally I don't want to have to sign up to a VOIP server, but I would like
to be able to use my mobile to make and receive calls via my home analogue
line.

If you need your mobile to be fully integrated and appear as another
extension on your home system, you are probably going to need a fully
fledged IP PABX.
I use Asterisk (RASPBX) on a Raspberry Pi

I did consider that. How would I interface the Pi to the analogue phone
line?

Thanks to all for the responses so far.

Andy

Old August 21st 18, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,
In article ,
Andy wrote:

Fritzbox 7390 (and others) allows one analogue phone line in, connects to
as many VOIP accounts as you could need and presents the whole lot as a
DECT base-station and a SIP server on your internal network, including
allowing calls to/from your mobile over wifi via an app.

That sounds ideal, but doesn't seem to be available any more. It's also
pretty expensive as it does more than I need (don't needs ADSL router etc.).

Are there any more focussed alternatives?

Thanks

Andy

Old August 21st 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

By using an ATA as discussed. I use a Linksys SPA-3000, there is a
new one on ebay, item 323331469315. 23.55
An SPA-3102 is also suitable.

A device such as this connects logically to the Pi simply by it being
on the same LAN and logged in to an "account" in RASPBX running on the
Pi instead of direct to the provider.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 22nd 18, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
By using an ATA as discussed. I use a Linksys SPA-3000, there is a
new one on ebay, item 323331469315. 23.55
An SPA-3102 is also suitable.

Both those are discontinued. Would the SPA122 work? That seems to be FXS,
don't I need FXO?

A device such as this connects logically to the Pi simply by it being
on the same LAN and logged in to an "account" in RASPBX running on the
Pi instead of direct to the provider.

Sounds like I need to do some reading up on Asterisk to see if I can get my
head around some of the terminology.

Thanks

Andy
Old August 22nd 18, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
By using an ATA as discussed. I use a Linksys SPA-3000, there is a
new one on ebay, item 323331469315. 23.55
An SPA-3102 is also suitable.

Both those are discontinued. Would the SPA122 work? That seems to be FXS,
don't I need FXO?

A device such as this connects logically to the Pi simply by it being
on the same LAN and logged in to an "account" in RASPBX running on the
Pi instead of direct to the provider.

Sounds like I need to do some reading up on Asterisk to see if I can get my
head around some of the terminology.

Thanks

Andy

Yes, discontinued but still availible. It's just that I have had
personal experience using this kit, and both have 1 FXS and 1 FXO so
will support an exchange line, and a POTS phone, or DECT baestation.

The Asterisk progect is far and away the most useful thing I have done
with a Pi, and has been running here for about three years with only
one major crash. A Pi is more than powerful enough for a domestic
system, I use an old model B Rev 2

http://www.raspberry-asterisk.org/
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 3rd 18, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

In article ,
wrote:
By using an ATA as discussed. I use a Linksys SPA-3000, there is a
new one on ebay, item 323331469315. 23.55
An SPA-3102 is also suitable.

A device such as this connects logically to the Pi simply by it being
on the same LAN and logged in to an "account" in RASPBX running on the
Pi instead of direct to the provider.

Ok, ordered one of these, I think it's made it to the UK, just waiting for
it to be delivered now.

In the meantime, I've signed up for a sipgate account, and have got RasPBX
set up to be able to make and receive calls from this. Once the SPA-3000
arrives all I need to do is get this configured and integrated, and I should
hopefully have what I need.

Thanks to all for the help.

Andy
Old September 4th 18, 01:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

In article ,
wrote:
By using an ATA as discussed. I use a Linksys SPA-3000, there is a
new one on ebay, item 323331469315. 23.55
An SPA-3102 is also suitable.

A device such as this connects logically to the Pi simply by it being
on the same LAN and logged in to an "account" in RASPBX running on the
Pi instead of direct to the provider.

Ok, ordered one of these, I think it's made it to the UK, just waiting for
it to be delivered now.

In the meantime, I've signed up for a sipgate account, and have got RasPBX
set up to be able to make and receive calls from this. Once the SPA-3000
arrives all I need to do is get this configured and integrated, and I should
hopefully have what I need.

Thanks to all for the help.

Andy

As you will be running much the same setup as me, RASPBX & SPA3000 I
can provide you with screenshots and cut & paste code for anything
that I have set up on my system, which is quite a lot.

A couple of things for starters.

I was not too keen in having RASPBX hammering the SD card for years on
end. You may wish to consider putting the image on an external USB
spinning rust or even an SSD harddrive, then simply editing
cmdline.txt and change "root=/dev/sda2" to "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".

Sipgate is just about the only service left that gives you a free
geographic number, but I think the call charges are expensive
especially to UK mobiles.

I suggest you use discountvoip.co.uk for outgoing, 0.36 p/min vs 9.90
p/min for UK Mobile!

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 4th 18, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
As you will be running much the same setup as me, RASPBX & SPA3000 I
can provide you with screenshots and cut & paste code for anything
that I have set up on my system, which is quite a lot.

Excellent. May need some help getting the SPA3000 set up, particularly the
UK specific settings for the phone lines.

A couple of things for starters.

I was not too keen in having RASPBX hammering the SD card for years on
end. You may wish to consider putting the image on an external USB
spinning rust or even an SSD harddrive, then simply editing
cmdline.txt and change "root=/dev/sda2" to "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".

I have heard of people having issue with SD card life. I may investigate
some alternative storage. Thanks for the tip.

Sipgate is just about the only service left that gives you a free
geographic number, but I think the call charges are expensive
especially to UK mobiles.

I suggest you use discountvoip.co.uk for outgoing, 0.36 p/min vs 9.90
p/min for UK Mobile!

Our VM phone line currently has a calls package that gets us 'free' calls
24x7. I think it costs us about 8 a month. Will need to check to see if
we're getting value for money out of that, or whether it's worth looking.

SIPGate's international rates are definitely a lot lower than Virgin, but we
don't really make international calls. Will take a look at discountvoip
though, thanks for the pointer.

Andy