VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Old September 4th 18, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Default VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
As you will be running much the same setup as me, RASPBX & SPA3000 I
can provide you with screenshots and cut & paste code for anything
that I have set up on my system, which is quite a lot.

Excellent. May need some help getting the SPA3000 set up, particularly the
UK specific settings for the phone lines.

A couple of things for starters.

I was not too keen in having RASPBX hammering the SD card for years on
end. You may wish to consider putting the image on an external USB
spinning rust or even an SSD harddrive, then simply editing
cmdline.txt and change "root=/dev/sda2" to "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".

I have heard of people having issue with SD card life. I may investigate
some alternative storage. Thanks for the tip.

Sipgate is just about the only service left that gives you a free
geographic number, but I think the call charges are expensive
especially to UK mobiles.

I suggest you use discountvoip.co.uk for outgoing, 0.36 p/min vs 9.90
p/min for UK Mobile!

Our VM phone line currently has a calls package that gets us 'free' calls
24x7. I think it costs us about 8 a month. Will need to check to see if
we're getting value for money out of that, or whether it's worth looking.

SIPGate's international rates are definitely a lot lower than Virgin, but we
don't really make international calls. Will take a look at discountvoip
though, thanks for the pointer.

Andy

Another reason for not making calls on the VM line is so it's
available for the solitary incoming call it's capable of, while you an
your family are making two, three, maybe more simultaneous outgoing
calls via VoIP, and presenting your VM number as CLID.

You soon learn to despise POTS lines as being soooo old fashioned!

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 4th 18, 01:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 04/09/18 12:10, Graham. wrote:

Another reason for not making calls on the VM line is so it's
available for the solitary incoming call it's capable of, while you an
your family are making two, three, maybe more simultaneous outgoing
calls via VoIP, and presenting your VM number as CLID.

You soon learn to despise POTS lines as being soooo old fashioned!

POTS lines have their uses. We put the fax machine on ours, VoIP still
has a few problems handling that. Yes I know fax isn't widely used these
days, but the line is there and we do make use of it occasionally. It
also puts off cold callers quite effectively..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 4th 18, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Tuesday, 4 September 2018 12:13:42 UTC+1, MissRiaElaine wrote:
POTS lines have their uses.

The primary use of my POTS line is the electricity company auto-call me to update me on power cuts, and 999 out of course.

If the power's back on they get the answering machine :-)

Owain

Old September 5th 18, 09:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

"Andy Hawkins" wrote in message
Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

[snip]

I looked at the charges and this is an unfair comparison.

Discountvoip charge 12p/m for mobile calls against 9.9p from Sipgate.
The 0.36p.m is IMSNC for a specific mobile.

For the OP, if you have opened a Sipgate account go on their web page
and somewhere under Support you will find a list of UK settings for
most ATAs. I saw it the other day but it was not too obvious being a
small hyperlink.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old September 5th 18, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
I looked at the charges and this is an unfair comparison.

Discountvoip charge 12p/m for mobile calls against 9.9p from Sipgate.
The 0.36p.m is IMSNC for a specific mobile.

I saw that too, I wasn't sure about the difference between the 'cheap' and
'expensive' mobile rates...

For the OP, if you have opened a Sipgate account go on their web page
and somewhere under Support you will find a list of UK settings for
most ATAs. I saw it the other day but it was not too obvious being a
small hyperlink.

The device arrived today, and there are a number of setup guides around for
it. It will be hooked up to a FreePBX system, so won't directly be
connecting to SIPGate. Thanks for the pointer though, might come in useful
in the setup.

Andy
Old September 5th 18, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

wrote:
[...]

I've been using Betamax/Dellmont clones for twelve years so I should
know what's what.

There is indeed an "UK Others (Mobile)" tariff band, but I have yet to
be charged for dialling one. I suspect it is just a backstop position
to guard against some future premium-rate mobile code, or maybe 070
personal numbers that are widely mistaken for mobiles.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 5th 18, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 05/09/18 13:01, Graham. wrote:

There is indeed an "UK Others (Mobile)" tariff band, but I have yet to
be charged for dialling one. I suspect it is just a backstop position
to guard against some future premium-rate mobile code, or maybe 070
personal numbers that are widely mistaken for mobiles.

Those things should be banned. Or at least put onto the 09 premium rate
prefix.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 5th 18, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
As you will be running much the same setup as me, RASPBX & SPA3000 I
can provide you with screenshots and cut & paste code for anything
that I have set up on my system, which is quite a lot.

I've managed to get it working for the internal phone line. If I plug in a
phone I can make and receive calls on the handset.

However, I can't get it to successfully register for the external line.

First things first. These are my versions:

Software Version: 3.1.20(GW)
Hardware Version: 3.5.1(1448)

Do I have the latest firmware?

Any chance you can send me screenshots of the PSTN Line page of the
SPA-3000, and the trunk definition in FreePBX?

Thanks

Andy
Old September 6th 18, 03:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
As you will be running much the same setup as me, RASPBX & SPA3000 I
can provide you with screenshots and cut & paste code for anything
that I have set up on my system, which is quite a lot.

I've managed to get it working for the internal phone line. If I plug in a
phone I can make and receive calls on the handset.

However, I can't get it to successfully register for the external line.

First things first. These are my versions:

Software Version: 3.1.20(GW)
Hardware Version: 3.5.1(1448)

Do I have the latest firmware?

Any chance you can send me screenshots of the PSTN Line page of the
SPA-3000, and the trunk definition in FreePBX?

Thanks

Andy

Here you go, screen shots here.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/36Whxb

SIP settings of freepbx trunk
Trunk name: 1-pstn

Peer details (outgoing tab):

disallow=all
allow=ulaw
canreinvite=no
context=from-trunk-remove-hyphen-space (you will use "from-trunk" as
normal)
dtmfmode=rfc2833
host=dynamic
incominglimit=1
nat=never
port=5061
qualify=yes
secret=your_password
type=friend
username=1-pstn

User details (incoming tab)
all blank

I have included my inbound route in the screen shots. Note that the
trunk name is 1-pstn, and the inbound route DID matches the outbound
caller ID in the trunk, I find that a bit strange, but it works. If I
give the trunk a numerical name I find that anonymous calls don't ring
at all the nominated extensions.

As you can see my SPA3000 has the same h/w & s/w versions as yours.
Some earlier firmware versions lacked a critical option in the PSTN
Line tab "Off Hook While Calling VoIP" which should be set to "no" or
else your callers will be charged for unanswered calls.

Let me know if anything isn't clear.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 6th 18, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Here you go, screen shots here.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/36Whxb

Thanks for that.

On the 'Info' screen of the SPA-3000 your PSTN Line Status has 'Registration
State: Failed'. I'm seeing the same thing, so I assumed that was a problem
with my setup.

Presumably this works for incoming and outgoing calls as you have it
configured?

I'll have a go at duplicating your settings and give it another try tonight.
I assumed that the fact the registration was failing would mean it wouldn't
work...

Andy