VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Old September 6th 18, 05:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Default VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Here you go, screen shots here.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/36Whxb

Thanks for that.

On the 'Info' screen of the SPA-3000 your PSTN Line Status has 'Registration
State: Failed'. I'm seeing the same thing, so I assumed that was a problem
with my setup.

Presumably this works for incoming and outgoing calls as you have it
configured?

I'll have a go at duplicating your settings and give it another try tonight.
I assumed that the fact the registration was failing would mean it wouldn't
work...

Andy

....And you'd be right, it was a consequence of changing the trunk name
just before the photo-shoot. I was hoping you wouldn't notice ;-)

Power cycling the SPA restored registration in my case.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 6th 18, 11:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
...And you'd be right, it was a consequence of changing the trunk name
just before the photo-shoot. I was hoping you wouldn't notice ;-)

Power cycling the SPA restored registration in my case.

Ah ok. Now got it sorted, primary issue was using the PJSIP port (which the
SPA-3000 can't handle) instead of the CHAN_SIP port.

It's now correctly registering both ports. Just need to find a good time to
hook up the analogue line and give it all a test.

Do you have incoming CLID on your analogue line? Not too sure about getting
the dial plan correct to enable that to work correctly. Will have to see I
guess!

Thanks again.

Andy
Old September 7th 18, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
...And you'd be right, it was a consequence of changing the trunk name
just before the photo-shoot. I was hoping you wouldn't notice ;-)

Power cycling the SPA restored registration in my case.

Ah ok. Now got it sorted, primary issue was using the PJSIP port (which the
SPA-3000 can't handle) instead of the CHAN_SIP port.

It's now correctly registering both ports. Just need to find a good time to
hook up the analogue line and give it all a test.

Do you have incoming CLID on your analogue line? Not too sure about getting
the dial plan correct to enable that to work correctly. Will have to see I
guess!

Thanks again.

Andy

That's good.

You don't need to do anything at all for the CLID to work, other than
set the options at the foot of the "regional" tab in the SPA to
Caller ID method - "ESTI FSK With PR (UK)"
and
Caller ID FSK Standard - "v.23"
(I think some of Virgin Media's predecessors used a different standard
but I think that's all gone now).

If you want a completely transparent dial plan in Line 1, use
(*xx.|#xx.|xx.)

It's strange that you were struggling with PJSIP. In the hour before
seeing your post so was I.

I found this guide which seems to show what we are trying to do and he
tries to set it up with PJSIP, fails, then resorts to CHAN_SIP

https://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewp...ageId=55476525

The first comment purports to show the author how it can be done.
As I have never used PJSIP I thought I would activate it on my system
and give it a try. Long story short, I couldn't get the trunk to
register, so I gave up.

There's a few other oddities in the set up, why had he got DHCP
enabled (client)? His trunk is showing as unregistered too.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 7th 18, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
You don't need to do anything at all for the CLID to work, other than
set the options at the foot of the "regional" tab in the SPA to
Caller ID method - "ESTI FSK With PR (UK)"
and
Caller ID FSK Standard - "v.23"
(I think some of Virgin Media's predecessors used a different standard
but I think that's all gone now).

Ok. I just need to find time to actually hook it all up and see if it works.
Fingers crossed!

It's strange that you were struggling with PJSIP. In the hour before
seeing your post so was I.

I found this guide which seems to show what we are trying to do and he
tries to set it up with PJSIP, fails, then resorts to CHAN_SIP

https://wiki.freepbx.org/pages/viewp...ageId=55476525

That's the guide I was using initially.

The first comment purports to show the author how it can be done.
As I have never used PJSIP I thought I would activate it on my system
and give it a try. Long story short, I couldn't get the trunk to
register, so I gave up.

There's a few other oddities in the set up, why had he got DHCP
enabled (client)? His trunk is showing as unregistered too.

Yeah, I looked at the PJSIP packets going between the PBX and SPA-3000, and
at one point the SPA replies '502', which is something like 'Gateway error'.
I suspect that PJSIP is trying to use some relatively new addition to the
SIP protocol, which the SPA just can't handle?

It's a shae there isn't a 'modern' (i.e. in current production!)
alternative to the SPA-3000. It's exactly what I needed (1 network port, one
phone extension and one trunk). There really doesn't seem to be anything
like it available these days sadly.

Thanks again

Andy
Old September 7th 18, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 07/09/18 15:25, Andy Hawkins wrote:

It's a shae there isn't a 'modern' (i.e. in current production!)
alternative to the SPA-3000. It's exactly what I needed (1 network port, one
phone extension and one trunk). There really doesn't seem to be anything
like it available these days sadly.

Keep an eye on eBay, they come up there now and again. One up at the
moment for 23.55 free postage (I'm not the seller I hasten to add..!)
--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 7th 18, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
[...]

You seem keen to use PJSIP, and I am curious about it myself. What are
the benifits of using it over CHAN_SIP or even IAX?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 7th 18, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
On 07/09/18 15:25, Andy Hawkins wrote:

It's a shae there isn't a 'modern' (i.e. in current production!)
alternative to the SPA-3000. It's exactly what I needed (1 network port, one
phone extension and one trunk). There really doesn't seem to be anything
like it available these days sadly.

Keep an eye on eBay, they come up there now and again. One up at the
moment for 23.55 free postage (I'm not the seller I hasten to add..!)

That's where I got the one I'm using. I only need one. However, if there
were a more modern (and currently supported and documented) device, I'd be
more likely to use that.

Andy

Old September 7th 18, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
You seem keen to use PJSIP, and I am curious about it myself. What are
the benifits of using it over CHAN_SIP or even IAX?

I've been told that CHAN_SIP is 'old', and that all development is now
almost exclusively on PJSIP. That's about it really.

Andy
Old September 7th 18, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Here you go, screen shots here.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/36Whxb

A combination of this and some assistance on the FreePBX channel on IRC, and
I'm now up and running I think.

Just need to find a quiet time to do some real testing of it (was annoying
my wife a bit tonight trying to test while we were watching TV!) and should
be good to go hopefully.

Thanks again for all your help.

Andy
Old September 10th 18, 01:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pancho

On 07/09/2018 21:44, Andy Hawkins wrote:
Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Here you go, screen shots here.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/g3zvt/36Whxb

A combination of this and some assistance on the FreePBX channel on IRC, and
I'm now up and running I think.

Just need to find a quiet time to do some real testing of it (was annoying
my wife a bit tonight trying to test while we were watching TV!) and should
be good to go hopefully.

Thanks again for all your help.

Andy

Good luck with your testing. I forgot to mention that I had echo
problems with the Linksys SPA3000. The Gigaset n300 was far superior in
terms of echo.

I also had problems with Asterisk causing echo and degraded call
quality. In my Asterisk setup Asterisk appeared to act as a bridge or
proxy for the call RTP streams, rather than RTP being direct between
Sipgate and my VOIP phone. I did try to get around this using
directmedia=yes (used to be canreinvite) but failed. Hence I gave up on
Asterisk too. However that was some years ago so maybe things have improved.