VOiP in home with analogue phone line

« Re: 03NOW.co.uk | - »

Old November 5th 18, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

Default VOiP in home with analogue phone line

On 2018-09-05, Graham wrote:

"Andy Hawkins" wrote in message
Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
As you will be running much the same setup as me, RASPBX & SPA3000
can provide you with screenshots and cut & paste code for anything
that I have set up on my system, which is quite a lot.

Excellent. May need some help getting the SPA3000 set up,
particularly the
UK specific settings for the phone lines.

A couple of things for starters.

I was not too keen in having RASPBX hammering the SD card for years
on
end. You may wish to consider putting the image on an external USB
spinning rust or even an SSD harddrive, then simply editing
cmdline.txt and change "root=/dev/sda2" to "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".

I have heard of people having issue with SD card life. I may
investigate
some alternative storage. Thanks for the tip.

Sipgate is just about the only service left that gives you a free
geographic number, but I think the call charges are expensive
especially to UK mobiles.

I suggest you use discountvoip.co.uk for outgoing, 0.36 p/min vs
9.90
p/min for UK Mobile!

[snip]

I looked at the charges and this is an unfair comparison.

Discountvoip charge 12p/m for mobile calls against 9.9p from Sipgate.
The 0.36p.m is IMSNC for a specific mobile.

For the OP, if you have opened a Sipgate account go on their web page
and somewhere under Support you will find a list of UK settings for
most ATAs. I saw it the other day but it was not too obvious being a
small hyperlink.

I've been using Betamax/Dellmont clones for twelve years so I should
know what's what.

There is indeed an "UK Others (Mobile)" tariff band, but I have yet to
be charged for dialling one. I suspect it is just a backstop position
to guard against some future premium-rate mobile code, or maybe 070
personal numbers that are widely mistaken for mobiles.

I had understood this "UK Others (Mobile)" band was for the more expensive
mobile numbers, such as Lycamobile and Channel Islands/IoM mobiles.
I would also expect to be charged that band for those prefixes shown on
giffgaff's pricing page as non-mobile 07 numbers.

Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/
Old November 5th 18, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 21 August 2018 13:50:06 UTC+1, Andy Hawkins wrote:
Hi,
In article ,
Andy wrote:

Fritzbox 7390 (and others) allows one analogue phone line in, connects to
as many VOIP accounts as you could need and presents the whole lot as a
DECT base-station and a SIP server on your internal network, including
allowing calls to/from your mobile over wifi via an app.

That sounds ideal, but doesn't seem to be available any more. It's also
pretty expensive as it does more than I need (don't needs ADSL router etc.).

Are there any more focussed alternatives?

Thanks

Andy

See my post of 9th August.
Old November 5th 18, 06:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
R. Mark wrote:
See my post of 9th August.

I assume you're referring to the Siemens Gigaset N300A? That wouldn't allow
my analogue 'trunk' to be routed via the Asterisk PBX though would it?

Thanks

Andy

Old November 5th 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 5 November 2018 18:04:06 UTC, Andy Hawkins wrote:
Hi,

In article ,
R. Mark wrote:
See my post of 9th August.

I assume you're referring to the Siemens Gigaset N300A? That wouldn't allow
my analogue 'trunk' to be routed via the Asterisk PBX though would it?

Thanks

Andy

What Asterisk PBX?

In terms of functionality, I'd like:

* Caller display
Yes
* Answerphone
There is a version with that built in.
* Ability to connect VOIP phone(s) to my network to receive service, each
having their own 'extension number'
Managed in the network (e.g. by Voipfone). Gigaset phones can make extension calls to each other, transfer etc.
* Means to receive calls to my home number via my mobile (ideally both when
at home and out and about)
This ain't going to work for the landline. Currently provided [native] on my Samsung Galaxy S8
* Ability to transfer calls between either physical handsets or 'mobile'
apps
see above.
Old November 5th 18, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

R. Mark wrote:
See my post of 9th August.

I assume you're referring to the Siemens Gigaset N300A? That wouldn't allow
my analogue 'trunk' to be routed via the Asterisk PBX though would it?

Thanks

Andy

What Asterisk PBX?

That's what I went with in the end, and why I needed the SPA to hook up the
analogue phone and external line.

* Means to receive calls to my home number via my mobile (ideally both when
at home and out and about)
This ain't going to work for the landline.
Currently provided [native] on my Samsung Galaxy S8

This works fine with the Asterisk PBX. My mobile logs in as an extension,
and this extension rings whenever a call comes in on the analogue trunk (or
indeed the SIP trunk I've also configured).

Thanks for the input though, appreciate all suggestions.

Andy