VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Old August 9th 18, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Default VOiP in home with analogue phone line

Hi all,

We currently have a Virgin Media analogue phone line, connected to a DECT
base station which provides answerphone, caller ID and phone service to a
number of Dect handsets around the house.

If I wanted to keep the analogue line, is there a device I can plug into the
analogue phone line, that will then give me VOIP service within my home. I
envisage this device connecting to my local network (wired or wireless would
be fine) and allow me to plug in either 'fixed' VOIP phones, or use the
service via an app on mobile devices.

In terms of functionality, I'd like:

* Caller display
* Answerphone
* Ability to connect VOIP phone(s) to my network to receive service, each
having their own 'extension number'
* Means to receive calls to my home number via my mobile (ideally both when
at home and out and about)
* Ability to transfer calls between either physical handsets or 'mobile'
apps

Does such a device exists? I've tried googling, but all I seem to come up
with are high end devices aimed at providing services to a business (and
hence having a lot more functionality than I realistically need).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Andy
Old August 9th 18, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pancho

On 09/08/2018 16:36, Andy Hawkins wrote:
[...]

The easiest way to achieve what you appear to want is to drop the Virgin
Media phone and port the number to a voip service, something like
Sipgate and then use only voip.

However theoretically I think you could achieve what you actually asked
for with a Linksys SPA3000.

I bought one 11 years ago and it has sat on a shelf unused for the last
10 years. It was too fiddly.

Instead I use a Siemens Gigaset n300 and haven't used my analogue phone
line for about 10 years, even though I could if I wanted to. I just
don't see any point. Sipgate do an answer service.
Old August 9th 18, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

Lots of possibilities here.
The simplest solution for you would be to replace your current DECT
kit with a Gigaset VoIP DECT basestation and handsets.

You can always use an app on your phone like CSipSimple to access the
same VoIP service that you use at home when you are out and about.

If you need your mobile to be fully integrated and appear as another
extension on your home system, you are probably going to need a fully
fledged IP PABX.
I use Asterisk (RASPBX) on a Raspberry Pi
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 9th 18, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 9 August 2018 16:36:46 UTC+1, Andy Hawkins wrote:
[...]

Siemens Gigaset N300A ~60

Your existing DECT phones (max 6) should work with it, albeit with reduced functionality compared to Siemen's ones. You manage from your PC.

I think Fritzbox do something similar.

Old August 9th 18, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 09/08/18 18:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Siemens Gigaset N300A ~60

Your existing DECT phones (max 6) should work with it, albeit with reduced functionality compared to Siemen's ones. You manage from your PC.

I think Fritzbox do something similar.

I've always been very impressed with the Fritzbox range. I used a 7170
for many years, alongside a London 16 PABX.

I tend to gravitate towards IP phones these days, although we do have a
Gigaset N300IP as well.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 9th 18, 09:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Roger

On 09/08/2018 19:02, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 09/08/18 18:56, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Siemens Gigaset N300A ~60

Your existing DECT phones (max 6) should work with it, albeit with
reduced functionality compared to Siemen's ones.* You manage from your
PC.

I think Fritzbox do something similar.

I've always been very impressed with the Fritzbox range. I used a 7170
for many years, alongside a London 16 PABX.

I tend to gravitate towards IP phones these days, although we do have a
Gigaset N300IP as well.

My vote would also be a Gigaset N300A. It gives you

analogue line
up to 6 voip accounts
ability to make certain handsets ring by incoming line/voip account
assign different outgoing voip accounts to particular handsets
transfer between handsets

Much easier to use than SPA which I used for many years.

I used to use my virgin analogue line just for incoming calls and betmax
for all outoging. Have now dropped analogue completely and ported my
virgin number to my sipgate account.

Old August 9th 18, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Woody

You get either an analogue telephone adapter (ATA) from such as Cisco
(as was Linksys before they were taken over) or Grandstream who do
such boxes.

The other option is to get a SIP phone with or without answering
machine. As an ATA by default uses a wire connection to the phone, a
SIP phone should not be an issue. Just have a browse on eBay - for
example item 142894122777 will do what you need. You will have to
program it but there is oodles of help on line.

You will need a VoIP account - Sipgate are good as they give you a
number and you can have incoming calls without paying a penny. You can
also call other Sipgate numbers free of charge. If you put credit on
your account you can call who you like.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old August 9th 18, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Higton

In message
Andy Hawkins wrote:

[...]

To be clear: are you asking for a device that will allow VoIP devices
to access your analogue line? In effect, to convert your analogue
service to VoIP?

There used to be some devices that would do it, but they haven't been
manufactured for some years now and are therefore only available
second hand.

Dave
Old August 9th 18, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 09/08/18 20:52, Roger wrote:

I used to use my virgin analogue line just for incoming calls and betmax
for all outoging. Have now dropped analogue completely and ported my
virgin number to my sipgate account.

We can't get Virgin here so no prospect of ditching the landline, but
we're not all that bothered; we have unlimited calls on it, so we tend
to use that for outgoing calls and the VoIP lines for incoming.

The analogue line is also connected to our multi-function
copier/printer/scanner/fax as a fax line, not that it gets a lot of use
these days, but there are still a few die-hard faxers out there

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 14th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Lord

[...]

Fritzbox 7390 (and others) allows one analogue phone line in, connects to as many VOIP accounts as you could need and presents the whole lot as a DECT base-station and a SIP server on your internal network, including allowing calls to/from your mobile over wifi via an app.