VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

Old August 15th 18, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

Default VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

In article , Nick Odell [email protected]
op.plus.com scribeth thus
On 14/08/18 16:38, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the
bill?

I agree. When I wanted a Skype phone some years ago I found it was
cheaper and more versatile to buy a cheap smartphone (Moto E, since you
asked) and run it without a sim card.

To the OP: is there anything unusual about the VoIP service you want to use?

Nick

No not at all a quite standard VoIP setup. The idea of using an app on a
smart mobile phone sounds just what we need thanks to all who suggested
that!...

--
Tony Sayer

Old August 15th 18, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony sayer

In article , R.
Mark Clayton scribeth thus
On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 16:38:47 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the
bill?

--
Cheers,

John.

Yes - most Android phones will run Zoiper or similar. My [retired] Nokia N79,
N8 and current Samsung S8 all support Voip native either over Wi-Fi or 3/4G, so
I have a 'movable' geographic number as well as the mobile one.

Interesting are you saying that you can use the mobile in the normal way
but use the VoIP app over the home wi-fi?.

That right?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old August 15th 18, 12:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
tony sayer

In article , Stephen
scribeth thus
On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 18:13:16 +0100, David Woolley
wrote:

On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

WiFi generally has too much jitter to handle voice well. Whilst that
sort of thing hasn't been known to stop marketing departments, do you
really want to encourage them?

a link to some WiFi starting points, possibly with some marketing....
https://www.wi-fi.org/discover-wi-fi...voice-programs

FWIW the jitter isnt WiFi specific - it is more that WiFi access in
some cases tends to be both contended and lossy for traffic.

Some of the later WiFi standards support QoS / priority schemes which
can help voice to degrade a bit more gracefully in the face of
congestion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_over_WLAN

- but lots of interference or overlapping systems trampling on each
other will make voice unuseable.

WiFi channel is the default for laptops at work.

We use a lot of Skype voice for internal calls and voice conferencing
and although it isnt perfect (or as well engineered as a mobile or
DECT, or a fixed VoIP phone on a LAN), it works well enough most of
the time that even offices with 100+ users in small areas with a good
enterprise WiFi build can support lots of simultaneous calls.

Interesting points but on the ones we want to use, single user who more
likely than not will be using it and nothing else on their domestic
wi-fi..
--
Tony Sayer

Old August 15th 18, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Thats called an Iphone on wifi calling or whatsapp..

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..
--
Tony Sayer

Old August 15th 18, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

Absolutely.
I use CSipSimple on my Android.
I think it has provision to integrate the keypads, but I like the VoIP
app to appear separate.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 15th 18, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Thats called an Iphone on wifi calling or whatsapp..

Not if you're not using Apple crap.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 15th 18, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

On 14/08/18 23:32, tony sayer wrote:
Interesting points but on the ones we want to use, single user who more
likely than not will be using it and nothing else on their domestic
wi-fi..
-

You didn't say you lived in an isolated farmhouse. Where I live there
are many contending wifi routers in range.
Old August 15th 18, 12:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.telecom,uk.d-i-y
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 14/08/18 23:34, tony sayer wrote:

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..

Don't know about whatsapp but CSipSimple works fine on my Samsung S4 mini.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 15th 18, 12:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Woolley

On 14/08/18 23:34, tony sayer wrote:
So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..

No. Whatsapp is a VoIP provider (although I think they are closed and
don't interconnect to the PSTN - if you want one that does, go for Skype).
Old August 15th 18, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Nonetheless but you may well be fighting your neighbours access points
for spectrum space especially at 2.4GHz
You just don't notice that when web browsing and emailing or even
media streaming. SIP buffering is measured in miliseconds not whole
seconds for obvious reasons.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%