VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

Old August 15th 18, 02:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Default VoIP Handset that uses a wi-fi connection rather then wired?.

On 14/08/2018 18:13, David Woolley wrote:
On 14/08/18 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

WiFi generally has too much jitter to handle voice well.

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can
do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is
unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

I have a client site where they run data and VoIP between two offices on
either side of a road. They are connected with a pair of directional
WiFi bridges, and IME you can't tell the difference in voice quality
when talking to someone in the office with the incoming ISDN lines
directly, or via the WiFi to the VoIP phones across the road.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old August 15th 18, 09:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 23:33:13 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:
In article , R.
Mark Clayton scribeth thus
On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 16:38:47 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 14/08/2018 15:52, tony sayer wrote:

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.

Would not just about any smartphone with VoIP software on it not fit the
bill?

--
Cheers,

John.

Yes - most Android phones will run Zoiper or similar. My [retired] Nokia N79,
N8 and current Samsung S8 all support Voip native either over Wi-Fi or 3/4G, so
I have a 'movable' geographic number as well as the mobile one.

Interesting are you saying that you can use the mobile in the normal way
but use the VoIP app over the home wi-fi?.

That right?..
--
Tony Sayer

No I am saying that I can use the mobile in the normal way AND have a Voip connection over any Wi-Fi [and 3/4G, but I don't use that with the Samsung].

So
Outgoing calls
The phone asks me whether to use the mobile network or Voip.
Incoming calls
The phone rings and answers as normal. Goes to voicemail if out of coverage.
Old August 15th 18, 09:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 23:49:45 UTC+1, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Absolutely.
I use CSipSimple on my Android.
I think it has provision to integrate the keypads, but I like the VoIP
app to appear separate.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Then load Zoiper and let it register.
Old August 15th 18, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Tuesday, 14 August 2018 21:22:41 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

In a few years time, maybe, but at the moment most phones are just that,
phones and you need a little dongle supplied by the voip company.

No you don't with what you call a dongle.

Some Voip companies may well sell you a telephone like you need but I'm
not sure they can work universally, ie not tied to a provider.

There are plenty of voip phones sold by operations
like Siemens, but not many that connect using wifi.

But almost all mobile phones will do voip over wifi.

"tony sayer" wrote in message
news

Very much as above anyone know of a VoIP handset portable cordless phone
that has a base unit it charges from BUT the connection to the Internet
is by wireless wi-fi rather then wired i.e. plugging into a router?.

Or come to that one that connects directly to the net by your home
wi-fi?.

Any info appreciated.
--
Tony Sayer

There was a Wi-Fi Voipfone available some years ago, however all the Siemens ones are DECT due to the much greater range (100m v. 10m) and unlike a mobile it won't connect to different WAPI's nor fall back onto 3/4G.
Old August 15th 18, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y
David Woolley

On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can
do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is
unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically
reported by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for
real time voice.
Old August 15th 18, 10:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.voip
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 23:54:18 +0100, MissRiaElaine wrote:

So whatsapp can be used with a VoIP provider like say Sipgate?..

Don't know about whatsapp but CSipSimple works fine on my Samsung S4
mini.

Or Zoiper (free, no ads) with Sipgate on any WiFi enabled Android
device. Assuming the WiFi has access to the 'net of course. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old August 15th 18, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed

"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can do
"ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is unlikely
to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically reported
by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for real time
voice.

Works fine for me and I do it a lot.

Old August 15th 18, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 15 August 2018 11:45:32 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can do
"ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is unlikely
to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time. The latency is waiting for that clear air time. Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them. They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory. It is empirically reported
by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for real time
voice.

Works fine for me and I do it a lot.

Likewise, might get a bit flaky on a remote 3G link or where there is massive contention, 99% of the time it is better than mobile or POTS.
Old August 15th 18, 04:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham J[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[snip]

Likewise, might get a bit flaky on a remote 3G link or where there is massive contention, 99% of the time it is better than mobile or POTS.

In my view the signal quality of most mobiles falls well below what I
would regard as usable. Just listen to any radio or TV news where
somebody is interviewed on their mobile, it's awful. The BBC and the
like should have a policy of never interviewing by mobile phone.

I accept tht if you wished to call the emergency services you might just
be able to get them to hear you and understand why you wanted their
help, so they do have their place.

--
Graham J

Old August 15th 18, 08:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip,uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

On 15/08/2018 10:15, David Woolley wrote:
On 15/08/18 02:01, John Rumm wrote:

A high quality VoIP channel only needs 64 Kbps (and in reality you can
do "ok" quality in less). Jitter on a link running at many Mbps is
unlikely to have much knock effect on a single VoIP channel.

The many Mbps is the burst rate once the device has found a clear bit of
air time.* The latency is waiting for that clear air time.* Also VoIP
bursts are very short, but there are many of them.* They need to find
clear air time 50 times a second, and they need to do so within a few
milliseconds, each time.

In any case, I'm not going just on the theory.* It is empirically
reported by people who have tried it that Wifi doesn't work well for
real time voice.

I also gave an empirical example - three VoIP handsets, one wifi bridge,
no complaints on voice quality.

Now depending on the loads on other loads on the wifi, and the number of
other in range access points sharing the same spectrum, I am quite
prepared to accept you might have difficulties. However its not a given
that you will get a poor experience with VoIP over wifi, so if its easy
to do, its worth trying.

--
Cheers,

John.