Sky routers

Old August 19th 18, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

Default Sky routers

On 19/08/2018 10:41, DrTeeth wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 23:53:23 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Michael Chare disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

A program such as Acrylic will show the MAC addresses of the access
points. If there is more than one box the MAC addresses will be more
different than if both signals come from the same box.

Different MAC addys. I should have been clearer in that both signals
are on 2.4.

It looks like his routers are set to automatic as I can get them to
change channel by retuning my signal.

I just wondered if the two-router setup was a Sky feature. They moved
in a few months ago and got Sky soon after so I know the two Sky SSIDs
are his.

He hasn't got one of these:-

https://www.officeoutlet.com/technol...me-wi-fi-trio/

no idea how many that uses..

Dave
Old August 20th 18, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 17/08/2018 20:25, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/08/18 19:28, Stephen wrote:

Some routers support / allow separate SSIDs for the customer and for
guest access?

Indeed, that's what we do. Our Sky router normally just has the 5GHz
band enabled, but if we get visitors that want to use wi-fi, we enable
2.4GHz (which has a simpler password) for them to use, and switch it off
again when they leave.

The Kindle e-reader we have only seems to support 2.4GHz as well, so we
have to switch it on when we want to download a new book, but otherwise
the band stays switched off. There is only one other user on 5GHz
anywhere in range and they're several channels away, so we don't get any
problems.

Is that really the only way of doing a guest network on a Sky router?

Normally you can have several SSIDs on each radio and configure whether
devices that connect to them can only get to the internet or whether
they can get to other devices too.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old August 20th 18, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 19/08/2018 18:33, Stephen wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 13:57 +0100 (BST),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(DrTeeth) wrote:

Apologies to you and all who replied tot his thread, I should have
made it clear that he uses two 2.4 channels. He is not on 5GHz.

Hmm - are you near me? I have 2 channels on 2.4GHz, one covers the lounge,
the other the bedroom. There is a little overlap between them, but I also
use uncommon channels.

The latest high speed 2.4 GHz settings smear the signal over all 11
common worldwide channels.

UK allows 12 and 13, so you may get less background interference on ch
13.

I used to run 4 routers to cover the whole flat, and yes, I did need them,
until I put up the 5GHz for the phones.

You should find most people using channel 1, 6 or 11 and then there is
generally no point in using anything other than channels 1, 6 and 11.

This is because the signal is actually 4 channels wide and Wi-Fi copes a
lot better with co-channel interference than it does with interference
from a channel that just partially overlaps.

When two nearby networks are co-channel (on the same channel) they can
actually cooperate to get the best results for both.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old August 20th 18, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 19/08/2018 10:35, DrTeeth wrote:
On 18 Aug 2018 11:45:39 +0100 (BST), just as I was about to take a
herb, Theo disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

It's also possible the Sky router's wifi isn't very good, and he's bought a
second router/access point to increase the wifi strength. He may not have
dug into the Sky settings to turn off the first's wifi.

They both have unmodified Sky SSIDs.

Could it be two different neighbours routers you are seeing?

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old August 20th 18, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Brian Gregory wrote:

Normally you can have several SSIDs on each radio

Depends what class of router you consider "normal". You'd be lucky to
get that feature on most of the ones given out by "commodity" ISPs
Old August 20th 18, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On 19/08/2018 18:33, Stephen wrote:
On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 13:57 +0100 (BST),
(Paul Cummins) wrote:

In article ,
(DrTeeth) wrote:

[...]

I've never thought of it that way, I suppose the two networks will
effectively TDM with each other in a constructive way for most
traffic, but perhaps not for VoIP.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 22nd 18, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 19 Aug 2018 18:33:23 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Stephen disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

UK allows 12 and 13, so you may get less background interference on ch
13.

that is exactly where I am parked. His routers seem to be set to
automatically find the best channel. Since I manually set mine to be
13, we no longer chase each other around the band.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill
Old August 22nd 18, 12:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 19:58:16 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Brian Gregory disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

Could it be two different neighbours routers you are seeing?

I doubt it as they bother appeared when they got Sky after moving in.
I cannot rule out that possibility however.