Sky routers

Old August 17th 18, 03:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Default Sky routers

Hi,

My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has
two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a
program to show the channels on 2.4/5 GHz. Why is this? I do not have
any problems with it, just curious.
--
Cheers,

DrT

Old August 17th 18, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 17/08/18 15:39, DrTeeth wrote:
Hi,

My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has
two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a
program to show the channels on 2.4/5 GHz. Why is this? I do not have
any problems with it, just curious.

Fairly standard. We have a Sky router that operates on both 2.4 & 5Ghz,
I suspect most routers now do. We mainly use 5GHz as we have nobody else
near us on it whereas 2.4GHz is chocca, but it's the default for both to
be enabled.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 17th 18, 04:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , DrTeeth
writes
Hi,

My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has
two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a
program to show the channels on 2.4/5 GHz. Why is this? I do not have
any problems with it, just curious.

Probably (almost certainly) a single router, but they have given 2.4 and
5GHz separate SSIDs. You would see them as two separate services.

Easier to tell what you are connecting to, and some devices ( iPhones?)
seem to get confused if the 2.4 and 5GHZ bands have the same SSID.

--
Invalid
Old August 17th 18, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Hi,

My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has
two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a
program to show the channels on 2.4/5 GHz. Why is this? I do not have
any problems with it, just curious.

The other thing that happens with BT customers, is a second unsecured
SSID for public use by BT customers who are likewise altruistic at
home.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 17th 18, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 16:36:38 +0100, Invalid
wrote:

In message , DrTeeth
writes
Hi,

My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has
two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a
program to show the channels on 2.4/5 GHz. Why is this? I do not have
any problems with it, just curious.

Probably (almost certainly) a single router, but they have given 2.4 and
5GHz separate SSIDs. You would see them as two separate services.

Easier to tell what you are connecting to, and some devices ( iPhones?)
seem to get confused if the 2.4 and 5GHZ bands have the same SSID.

Some routers support / allow separate SSIDs for the customer and for
guest access?

--
Stephen
Old August 17th 18, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 17/08/18 19:28, Stephen wrote:

Some routers support / allow separate SSIDs for the customer and for
guest access?

Indeed, that's what we do. Our Sky router normally just has the 5GHz
band enabled, but if we get visitors that want to use wi-fi, we enable
2.4GHz (which has a simpler password) for them to use, and switch it off
again when they leave.

The Kindle e-reader we have only seems to support 2.4GHz as well, so we
have to switch it on when we want to download a new book, but otherwise
the band stays switched off. There is only one other user on 5GHz
anywhere in range and they're several channels away, so we don't get any
problems.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 17th 18, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 17/08/18 19:28, Stephen wrote:

Some routers support / allow separate SSIDs for the customer and for
guest access?

Indeed, that's what we do. Our Sky router normally just has the 5GHz band
enabled, but if we get visitors that want to use wi-fi, we enable 2.4GHz
(which has a simpler password) for them to use, and switch it off again
when they leave.

The Kindle e-reader we have only seems to support 2.4GHz as well, so we
have to switch it on when we want to download a new book, but otherwise
the band stays switched off. There is only one other user on 5GHz anywhere
in range and they're several channels away, so we don't get any problems.

Do you find that the range of 5 GHz covers the whole house? I found that it
would cover one room either side of the one with the router in, and the room
directly below, but it wouldn't go diagonally or through one room to get to
the next one.

For some reason if my phone was connected to the 5 GHz network rather than
the 2.4 GHz one, I got pauses and dropouts when streaming audio (eg using
the BBC Radio app) to my Bluetooth headphones. If I used 2.4 GHz, or if I
used 5 GHz and connected the headphones directly by plugging them into the
phone, the dropouts disappeared. Some sort of interaction between 5 GHz and
Bluetooth?

Old August 18th 18, 12:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 17/08/18 22:26, NY wrote:

Do you find that the range of 5 GHz covers the whole house? I found that
it would cover one room either side of the one with the router in, and
the room directly below, but it wouldn't go diagonally or through one
room to get to the next one.

It's only a small 1-bedroom flat, so yes it covers the area quite well.
Can't comment on Bluetooth as I rarely if ever use it.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 18th 18, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 17/08/2018 18:27, Graham. wrote:
Hi,

My neighbour has a Sky service. For some reason it looks like he has
two routers/Wi-Fi access points judging by what I see when I use a
program to show the channels on 2.4/5 GHz. Why is this? I do not have
any problems with it, just curious.

The other thing that happens with BT customers, is a second unsecured
SSID for public use by BT customers who are likewise altruistic at
home.

Altruism no longer plays a part. If you have a resent BT Router it can't
be turned off...

Dave
G4UGM
Old August 18th 18, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

Do you find that the range of 5 GHz covers the whole house?

5.2GHz is a mixed blessing, faster and other people's signals don't
travel so well therefore less interference, but your own signals don't
travel so well either, but generally good within a house.

I name the 2.4 and 5.2GHz radios separately, so I know which devices are
configured to use which SSID, I have used the laptop on 5.2GHz out in
the car.

I found that
it would cover one room either side of the one with the router in, and
the room directly below, but it wouldn't go diagonally or through one
room to get to the next one.

Not found it travels that poorly here.

For some reason if my phone was connected to the 5 GHz network rather
than the 2.4 GHz one, I got pauses and dropouts when streaming audio (eg
using the BBC Radio app) to my Bluetooth headphones. If I used 2.4 GHz,
or if I used 5 GHz and connected the headphones directly by plugging
them into the phone, the dropouts disappeared. Some sort of interaction
between 5 GHz and Bluetooth?

A lot of devices that have combined bluetooth and wifi cards, the 2.4GHz
aerial is shared by both, but switched between the different radios, to
prevent the 2.4GHz wifi interfering with the bluetooth, so I could see a
case where the 5.2GHz wifi which doesn't have the same switching could
interfere.

I use bluetooth mice, which due to distances of only a few cm, don't
suffer much, and I have a bluetooth speaker downstairs that's a couple
of meters from the tablet sending to it, and standing between them or
operating the microwave can tend to give a bit of burble, the tablet
only has 2.4GHz wifi