UKDDI: Numbers now gone

Old August 21st 18, 09:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

Default UKDDI: Numbers now gone

For anyone who might have been using their UKDDI numbers still, as
they were still working when pointed to a SIP address, these now
no longer work, as it appears the platform itself has been shut down.

Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/
Old August 21st 18, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

For anyone who might have been using their UKDDI numbers still, as
they were still working when pointed to a SIP address, these now
no longer work, as it appears the platform itself has been shut down.

Thanks for that Michael. Early media message:

https://soundcloud.com/user-506627852/vn850400/s-t2cYu

Dave's voice perhaps?

It's been running for two and a half years on that basis.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/ukddi$20closing/uk.telecom.voip/jgq5aul1H8Q/W6ECZCxEBQAJ

Shame though, UKDDI was the most exciting thin in VoIP in my book.
I must admit I did take the **** a bit and spent one evening creating
multiple accounts and climbing up a number range to reach a
particularly memorable decade xxxx xxx 0300-0309 to map to my
extension numbers, then returned all the unused numbers to the pool.

Naughty of me I know but oh so tempting. Imagine how much you might
pay for a PRI ISDN with DDIs like that.

That range connected by direct registrations so I lost it in Feb 2016.

I did have a few attached to SIP URIs including one ending in 1234
which has served me well.

I think the Golden Age of enthusiasts VoIP is already behind us.
Even Sipgate requires snail-mail confirmation before your number is
activated.

It's easer to get a US DDI (Callcentric) than a UK one.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 21st 18, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Soruk

On 2018-08-21, Graham wrote:
It's been running for two and a half years on that basis.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/ukddi$20closing/uk.telecom.voip/jgq5aul1H8Q/W6ECZCxEBQAJ

Shame though, UKDDI was the most exciting thin in VoIP in my book.
I must admit I did take the **** a bit and spent one evening creating
multiple accounts and climbing up a number range to reach a
particularly memorable decade xxxx xxx 0300-0309 to map to my
extension numbers, then returned all the unused numbers to the pool.

Naughty of me I know but oh so tempting. Imagine how much you might
pay for a PRI ISDN with DDIs like that.

Quite a bit, I would imagine. I managed to get a rather nice number 241300
that I used to use as my give-out number for my home phone, as it had a
telemarketer filter in front of it.

I might have to start using my Plusnet PSTN number as my give-out number,
as via an ATA it routes to the same filter.

That range connected by direct registrations so I lost it in Feb 2016.

I did have a few attached to SIP URIs including one ending in 1234
which has served me well.

I experimented with that, but found, for my setup, direct SIP URIs worked
better for me.

I think the Golden Age of enthusiasts VoIP is already behind us.
Even Sipgate requires snail-mail confirmation before your number is
activated.

It's easer to get a US DDI (Callcentric) than a UK one.

There are still a few suppliers - the best price so far that I've found
being 1/month with first month free being NumberPeople, with no incoming
charges to VoIP, but it's to a registration, not a SIP URI.

There's also, Flextel, but as of July they jacked their rates up from
1p/min incoming to 4p/min +2p connection - and that's to a SIP address or
registration, and removed the unlimited VoIP from their bundles, now
charged the same as forwarding to a UK landline.

For 03 numbers, 03NOW were still doing them free of charge, last time
I looked.

Localphone recently started charging for the previously-free iNum numbers,
so I ditched that, and got a new one from CallCentric (along with my US DID).

I'm certainly not going to be giving up on VoIP, it saves my family no small
fortune as my wife's family is in China and she calls regularly, and for UK
calls it's also so much cheaper than the landline I only route known Plusnet
numbers down it (free to call), along with 111, 112 and 999 via a Cisco
(or was it a Linksys?) ATA.

Matrix Dial: International Calls - http://www.matrixdial.co.uk/
Old August 21st 18, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 21/08/18 12:19, Graham. wrote:

I think the Golden Age of enthusiasts VoIP is already behind us.
Even Sipgate requires snail-mail confirmation before your number is
activated.

It's easer to get a US DDI (Callcentric) than a UK one.

When did Sipgate start requiring postal confirmation..? Mind you, I've
had my numbers for several years.

I do love the facilities available on the CallCentric system though,
particularly the ability to forward telemarketers to an announcement
that the number is no longer in service..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 21st 18, 07:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

On 21/08/18 12:19, Graham. wrote:

I think the Golden Age of enthusiasts VoIP is already behind us.
Even Sipgate requires snail-mail confirmation before your number is
activated.

It's easer to get a US DDI (Callcentric) than a UK one.

When did Sipgate start requiring postal confirmation..? Mind you, I've
had my numbers for several years.

I do love the facilities available on the CallCentric system though,
particularly the ability to forward telemarketers to an announcement
that the number is no longer in service..!

At a guess, somewhere between 6 months to a year ago.

I can't think of any other supplier of free UK Geographic numbers now.
Can you?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old August 22nd 18, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Joskin[_2_]

On 21/08/2018 16:19, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 21/08/18 12:19, Graham. wrote:

I think the Golden Age of enthusiasts VoIP is already behind us.
Even Sipgate requires snail-mail confirmation before your number is
activated.

It's easer to get a US DDI (Callcentric) than a UK one.

When did Sipgate start requiring postal confirmation..? Mind you, I've
had my numbers for several years.

I do love the facilities available on the CallCentric system though,
particularly the ability to forward telemarketers to an announcement
that the number is no longer in service..!

I joined Sipgate in May this year and postal verification was required.
They said it was a requirement to ensure emergency services were sent to
the right address in the event of a 999 call.
Old August 22nd 18, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 22/08/18 09:14, Joskin wrote:

I joined Sipgate in May this year and postal verification was required.
They said it was a requirement to ensure emergency services were sent to
the right address in the event of a 999 call.

I have several Sipgate numbers that I've had for 10 years or more. When
they started introducing emergency access I just had to fill a form in
on the website.

I have had to ring 999 a few times, most recently when some nutter was
trying to kick the communal front door to our block in, but I used the
landline.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old August 22nd 18, 04:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.

On 21/08/18 12:19, Graham. wrote:

I think the Golden Age of enthusiasts VoIP is already behind us.
Even Sipgate requires snail-mail confirmation before your number is
activated.

It's easer to get a US DDI (Callcentric) than a UK one.

When did Sipgate start requiring postal confirmation..? Mind you, I've
had my numbers for several years.

I do love the facilities available on the CallCentric system though,
particularly the ability to forward telemarketers to an announcement
that the number is no longer in service..!

I joined Sipgate in May this year and postal verification was required.
They said it was a requirement to ensure emergency services were sent to
the right address in the event of a 999 call.

Which makes about as much sense as knowing the postal address of a mobile phone!
Many people use VoIP on mobile devices away from home, the last thing you want is the ambulance turnong up there when you are hundreds of miles away.

You should be able to opt out.

--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Old August 22nd 18, 06:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Miss Cuddly

On 21/08/18 12:19, Graham. wrote:

I think the Golden Age of enthusiasts VoIP is already behind us.
Even Sipgate requires snail-mail confirmation before your number is
activated.

It's easer to get a US DDI (Callcentric) than a UK one.

When did Sipgate start requiring postal confirmation..? Mind you, I've
had my numbers for several years.

I do love the facilities available on the CallCentric system though,
particularly the ability to forward telemarketers to an announcement
that the number is no longer in service..!

I joined Sipgate in May this year and postal verification was required.
They said it was a requirement to ensure emergency services were sent to
the right address in the event of a 999 call.

When I joined Sipgate I had to put my address in manually.

--
Miss Cuddly
Old August 23rd 18, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
stephen

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 16:47:00 +0100, "Graham."

On 21/08/18 12:19, Graham. wrote:

[...]

You can - or at least that is an option with the emergency system and
we get it come up fairly often when a company has part of its DDI
range allocated to laptops etc, or maps "fixed line" numbers to
mobiles.....

whether your SIP provider supports the option - well historical
baggage tends to take a while to sort out and often doesnt ever seem
to get done.

--
Stephen