What can an SPA3000 do?

Old September 15th 18, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Higton

Default What can an SPA3000 do?

I've just bought an unlocked SPA3000, but I'm now wondering whether
it can do what I want it to do. Which is:

- incoming calls on the analogue line go to the existing DECT base
station;

- my and my wife's mobile phones can register to the SPA3000's SIP
server (UAS);

- incoming calls on the analogue line are also offered via the SIP
UAS to the mobile phones;

- outgoing calls from the DECT phones are made via the analogue
line.

Can it do any or all of the above?

The SPA3000 came with the briefest of installation instructions,
which appear to cover a different use case (using VoIP instead of
an analogue line). All my searches so far have failed to find any
comprehensive manual for the SPA3000.

Any help, and any pointer to a comprehensive SPA3000 manual, would
be much appreciated.

Dave
Old September 15th 18, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
David wrote:
I've just bought an unlocked SPA3000, but I'm now wondering whether
it can do what I want it to do. Which is:

- incoming calls on the analogue line go to the existing DECT base
station;

- my and my wife's mobile phones can register to the SPA3000's SIP
server (UAS);

- incoming calls on the analogue line are also offered via the SIP
UAS to the mobile phones;

- outgoing calls from the DECT phones are made via the analogue
line.

Can it do any or all of the above?

I'm doing this, by adding in an Asterisk / FreePBX box (on a Pi) in to the
mix. Incoming calls on the analogue line are directed to the FreePBX server,
which rings some SIP extensions and the extension connected to the SPA3000
(which is just another SIP extension as far as FreePBX is concerned).

Outgoing calls either from the extension connected to the SPA3000 or other
SIP extensions go via FreePBX, and then out over the analogue line.

The SPA3000 came with the briefest of installation instructions,
which appear to cover a different use case (using VoIP instead of
an analogue line). All my searches so far have failed to find any
comprehensive manual for the SPA3000.

Any help, and any pointer to a comprehensive SPA3000 manual, would
be much appreciated.

Same here, would definitely appreciate a manual.

Andy
Old September 15th 18, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
David Higton

In message
Andy Hawkins wrote:

Hi,

In article ,
David wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Andy, I feel duly encouraged. I've set up numerous instances
of Asterisk over the years, so another one would be no trouble except
for the earache I'll get when the required hardware (the RPi) arrives
:-(

It's a pity the SPA3000 can't do it unassisted.

Dave
Old September 16th 18, 03:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Graham.[_3_]

In message
Andy Hawkins wrote:

Hi,

In article ,
David wrote:
[...]

Perhaps you could use a free Asterisk server in the cloud?

pbxes.com

It's seriously cut down compared to a local FreePBX but it should do
what you want.
Calls cut off after 60 minutes, which may be a deal breaker.

Andy, Although like you, I could not get FreePBX and the SPA3000 to
talk to each other with PJSIP, I have connected my Android phone
(CSipSimple) successfully as a PJSIP extension.

Whereas before, using CHAN_SIP on Tesco's free wifi I could set up a
call OK, the incoming media would often go AWOL, with PJSIP it is OK
and the same settings work fine inside my home LAN. I haven't read
anything about it but it looks to me as if PJSIP handles (double) NAT
traversals better.
Plus it's easier to configure. I moved the global default port from
5061 to 5062 as 5061 is in use on the SPA3000
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 17th 18, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
David wrote:
It's a pity the SPA3000 can't do it unassisted.

Don't take my word for it that it can't. I'm an invetorate tinkerer so just
adding in the RasPBX box as a little extra. It may not actually be strictly
required to do what I want!

Andy
Old September 17th 18, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Andy Hawkins

Hi,

In article ,
wrote:
Andy, Although like you, I could not get FreePBX and the SPA3000 to
talk to each other with PJSIP, I have connected my Android phone
(CSipSimple) successfully as a PJSIP extension.

Whereas before, using CHAN_SIP on Tesco's free wifi I could set up a
call OK, the incoming media would often go AWOL, with PJSIP it is OK
and the same settings work fine inside my home LAN. I haven't read
anything about it but it looks to me as if PJSIP handles (double) NAT
traversals better.
Plus it's easier to configure. I moved the global default port from
5061 to 5062 as 5061 is in use on the SPA3000

The only thing using CHAN_SIP in my system is the trunk connected to the
SPA-3000. Everything else is using PJSIP.

Agree about it being much easier to configure!

Andy