Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

Old September 20th 18, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

Default Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 22:46:00 +0100, bert wrote:

In article , Java Jive
writes
On 19/09/2018 19:06, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:
"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."
Apart from the fact I've been on PAYG for the last 15 years, they'd
have a job doing that with me, as the first thing I do when I cancel
anything is to stop the direct debits.

If I'd remembered to post the link, which I now have, you would have
realised that they're not talking about continuing to deduct payments
from people who have cancelled contracts, they're talking about people
who begin a contract to 'hire-purchase' a phone over a given period,
but whom the network do not move to a SIM only contract once that
period is over, so they are still paying the extra cost of paying for
the phone even though it's been paid for.

Don't these phones have a calendar system so you can set a reminder a
year in advance to tell you your contract is expiring?
I've never entered into such a contract but does it actually state
"hire-purchase" in the contract or is this another attempt to convert
idiots into victims?

I suspect that some of these victims believe that if the contract
expires their phones won't work any more.

Not everyone is savvy in these matters. My sister took some
convincing to get the unlock codes for her mobile and put a Giffgaff
PAYG (she gets the 5 goodybag) instead of paying 40+/month.

Friends (both teachers/lecturers) finally have gone for a Giffgaff
sim, meanwhile I'm using:
i) A Three 321
and
ii) A Data Reward sim (free 200mb/month and no other costs, equivalent
to 10/month on Giffgaff PAYG)

If you're not across these things it is unfortunately complicated and
some folk trust the big companies to do the right thing by them which
is why they deal with the big, well known companies.

--
AnthonyL
Old September 20th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018 11:44:28 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

I suspect that some of these victims believe that if the contract
expires their phones won't work any more.

Not everyone is savvy in these matters. My sister took some convincing
to get the unlock codes for her mobile and put a Giffgaff PAYG (she gets
the 5 goodybag) instead of paying 40+/month.

Friends (both teachers/lecturers) finally have gone for a Giffgaff sim,
meanwhile I'm using:
i) A Three 321 and ii) A Data Reward sim (free 200mb/month and no other
costs, equivalent to 10/month on Giffgaff PAYG

I have a four year old Nexus 5. It's on a 10 GiffGaff goodybag which
gets me 1000 minutes, unlimited texts and 4GB of data. More than enough.

Not planning on a new phone for a while - but when I do, I'll buy it
outright.
Old September 20th 18, 04:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 20/09/2018 10:27, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message

On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:

"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."

Apart from the fact I've been on PAYG for the last 15 years, they'd
have a job doing that with me, as the first thing I do when I cancel
anything is to stop the direct debits.

this item isn't about continuing to pay for something after you have
terminated the contract

No, but the fault for the confusion is mine, because when this reply was
made I hadn't posted the link - in fact it was this reply that made
realise that ommission.
Old September 20th 18, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Martin Brown wrote:

Even on a SIM only deal if you aren't talking to customer retention at
least every couple of years then you are still being ripped off.
(just not by quite as much)

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth bothering
about.

Old September 20th 18, 05:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

yup

my sister offered me her out of contract iPhone which she was going to
upgrade to a new one

she refused to phone up to unlock it (whilst it was still under contract) as
she assumed (without asking) that it would void the upgrade deal

So now I have phone locked to EE

That's fine here because I have an Asda PAYG in it, but it means that it's
useless to me for data abroad if I can't find wifi to use.

And if I phone up EE to unlock it, they will likely say "It's not an EE
phone anymore"

tim

Old September 20th 18, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 20/09/2018 15:51, Chris wrote:

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth bothering
about.

5 a month..? I probably don't spend that in a year..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 20th 18, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 20/09/2018 16:10, tim... wrote:

So now I have phone locked to EE

That's fine here because I have an Asda PAYG in it, but it means that
it's useless to me for data abroad if I can't find wifi to use.

And if I phone up EE to unlock it, they will likely say "It's not an EE
phone anymore"

tim

See if there's a dodgy looking bloke down the local market that will
unlock it for you..! Seriously, there are at least half a dozen shops
around here that I can think of that would do it for you, if not free
then for not much of a charge.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 20th 18, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 20/09/2018 10:27, tim... wrote:

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 19/09/2018 18:47, Java Jive wrote:
"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."

Apart from the fact I've been on PAYG for the last 15 years, they'd
have a job doing that with me, as the first thing I do when I cancel
anything is to stop the direct debits.

this item isn't about continuing to pay for something after you have
terminated the contract

tim

Yes, I gather that now.

BTW why is this in uk.telecom.broadband, shouldn't it be in
uk.telecom.mobile..?

Cross-posted.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 20th 18, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 20/09/2018 15:51, Chris wrote:

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth bothering
about.

5 a month..? I probably don't spend that in a year..!

I use my phone daily.

Old September 20th 18, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Martin Brown wrote:

Even on a SIM only deal if you aren't talking to customer retention at
least every couple of years then you are still being ripped off.
(just not by quite as much)

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth bothering
about.

Depends how much free data you get included in the contract.
Light users are probably better off on PAYG (or threatening to leave
contract and see what customer retention makes as a counter offer).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown