Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

Old September 20th 18, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

On 20/09/2018 16:10, tim... wrote:

And if I phone up EE to unlock it, they will likely say "It's not an EE
phone anymore"

Take it into a high street EE store to unlock it.

The staff can be surprisingly helpful. I did it when my mum's old Orange
phone SIM died. Snag was that unlocking it to take a modern EE SIM would
have more than doubled its value so they suggested that I hunt down a
genuine Orange SIM languishing near the checkouts in Poundworld instead!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 20th 18, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 20/09/2018 17:42, Chris wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 20/09/2018 15:51, Chris wrote:

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth bothering
about.

5 a month..? I probably don't spend that in a year..!

I use my phone daily.

Ah, well I only use the mobile if I absolutely have to, such as to let
someone know I'm running late if I'm out. I don't use it at home, as the
landline has unlimited inclusive calls to UK numbers, including mobiles.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 20th 18, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 20/09/2018 16:10, tim... wrote:

So now I have phone locked to EE

That's fine here because I have an Asda PAYG in it, but it means that
it's useless to me for data abroad if I can't find wifi to use.

And if I phone up EE to unlock it, they will likely say "It's not an EE
phone anymore"

tim

See if there's a dodgy looking bloke down the local market that will
unlock it for you..! Seriously, there are at least half a dozen shops
around here that I can think of that would do it for you, if not free
then for not much of a charge.

Won't work for an iPhone. You can jailbreak them but then you can ever get
any security or app updates. If you update you're back to square one. Tim
needs to speak to his sister. If it's out of contract they may well unlock
it for nothing.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 20th 18, 07:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 20/09/2018 16:10, tim... wrote:

So now I have phone locked to EE

That's fine here because I have an Asda PAYG in it, but it means that
it's useless to me for data abroad if I can't find wifi to use.

And if I phone up EE to unlock it, they will likely say "It's not an EE
phone anymore"

tim

See if there's a dodgy looking bloke down the local market that will

dodgy looking bloke down the market said he could do an EE one

Old September 20th 18, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

On 20/09/2018 15:51, Chris wrote:

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth bothering
about.

5 a month..? I probably don't spend that in a year..!

Same here. I get messages from GiffGaff like this:

Checking in

Hi Graham,

We've noticed that you've not used your giffgaff SIM for the past
month (no outbound calls/texts for 25+ days) so we thought we'd check
in and make sure everything is still all right - we'd love it if you
could spare 2 minutes to answer a few questions on why you've not been
around...

But that belies the fact that I make plenty of calls with my mobile,
it's just that I signal my Asterisk PBX to call me back* and give me a
system dial-tone, so from Giff-Gaff's POV all traffic is incoming.

* by dialling a dedicated Sipgate number that is not answered.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 20th 18, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 20/09/2018 20:41, Graham. wrote:

But that belies the fact that I make plenty of calls with my mobile,
it's just that I signal my Asterisk PBX to call me back* and give me a
system dial-tone, so from Giff-Gaff's POV all traffic is incoming.

* by dialling a dedicated Sipgate number that is not answered.

I have a Rasperry Pi lying around that I keep meaning to put Asterisk
on, but I'm afraid I have no idea of how to go about it. It seems
incredibly complicated and my brain cell is sadly way past its best...

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 20th 18, 09:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
tim...

"Graham." wrote in message
On 20/09/2018 15:51, Chris wrote:

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth
bothering
about.

5 a month..? I probably don't spend that in a year..!

Same here. I get messages from GiffGaff like this:

Checking in

Hi Graham,

you have a PAYG phone that you rarely use, and the telco know you name?

tim

Old September 20th 18, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 20/09/2018 21:02, tim... wrote:

"Graham." wrote in message
On 20/09/2018 15:51, Chris wrote:

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth
bothering
about.

5 a month..? I probably don't spend that in a year..!

Same here.* I get messages from GiffGaff like this:

Checking in

Hi Graham,

you have a PAYG phone that you rarely use, and the telco know you name?

tim

If it's registered with them for topups etc. then they'll have his name
on the system. Or if he's ever spoken to Customer Services.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old September 20th 18, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

tim... wrote:
So now I have phone locked to EE

That's fine here because I have an Asda PAYG in it, but it means that it's
useless to me for data abroad if I can't find wifi to use.

And if I phone up EE to unlock it, they will likely say "It's not an EE
phone anymore"

EE are easiest to unlock.

You call them up, they charge 8.99 to your credit card, they give you an
unlock code or do the stuff in the iPhone database to do an OTA unlock on
the spot. No EE account required.

(I did have a free EE SIM in the iPhone when I tried this, but I don't think
you need that. For Android you just type in the unlock code)

https://ee.co.uk/help/help-new/getti...nother-network
- also says iPhones and iPads less than 3 years old sold by EE will
automatically unlock after 18 months. So it might save the 8.99.

Theo
Old September 20th 18, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Martin Brown wrote:
On 20/09/2018 15:51, Chris wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Even on a SIM only deal if you aren't talking to customer retention at
least every couple of years then you are still being ripped off.
(just not by quite as much)

At 5pm I can't imagine I'm being ripped off by an amount worth bothering
about.

Depends how much free data you get included in the contract.

1.5 GB plus 250 minutes and 5000 texts. Although it's not free

Light users are probably better off on PAYG (or threatening to leave
contract and see what customer retention makes as a counter offer).

Yep.