Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

Old October 2nd 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Jackson[_2_]

Default Citizens Advice: Millions overcharged for mobile contracts

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 01/10/2018 17:22, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 01/10/2018 11:24, Ian Jackson wrote:

I have a little-used, cheap, PAYG phone (it's got a full QWERTY
keypad, so it's good for texting), and just before going on holiday I
topped it up online with 30 (so I probably had around 35 credit).
It was only when I tried to use it soon afterwards that I found that
the account had been subsequently been cancelled. Although it still
existed online, I couldn't log into it to see how much I'd lost.

I therefore decided that the simplest course of action would be to
get a new SIM card, but make sure that I didn't make the same
mistake again. However, the experience prompted me also to unlock
the phone (surprising easy) so I can use anyone's SIM card in it.

That's not right, it shouldn't have been cancelled after you'd
topped up. Which network..? I suggest a very strongly worded email to
customer "services" is in order...

Read the contract small print. You have to use it for a chargeable
event at least every six months or they will reclaim the number and
terminate the SIM. You lose any balance on the account.

You could try giving customer services a call but quite honestly they
are not going to bend over backwards for someone who spends 50p/year.

My mum's simple phone fell foul of this too but the complication was it
was locked to Orange and spare SIM cards were hard to find by then. EE
suggested I scour the Poundshops for old Orange SIMs at their checkouts.

Unlocking it would have more than doubled the value of the phone.

The phone is a V345 Text, and only cost 15. It was a special offer
(Guardian, I think), and is very basic. Although at first sight it
sort-of resembles a smart phone, it only does what it says on the tin -
ie it only makes phone calls. However, it does have a QWERTY keypad,
which makes texting a lot easier. It was locked to Vodafone.

As I don't text very much, I did wonder whether it was worth bothering
with - but while in a shop next day, I saw some SIM cards for sale for
1 - and as the phone was locked, I bought a one for Vodafone. However,
as soon as I activated it 'on-air', I went through the Vodafone
procedure for unlocking it (which was surprisingly quick and easy) - so
I guess it's now worth 30!
--
Ian
Old October 2nd 18, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Roderick Stewart Wrote in message:
On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 20:42:48 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

But as for challenging them - to be honest, life's too short for 30-odd
pounds -

[...]

That's how they win. 30 pounds may not be worth the trouble for you,
but you can bet your life they'd chase you till the end of time for
less money than that.

It's wrong, of course. That's why we have laws, or it should be.

Vodafone do have "previous" of course. Their well known appalling
customer service and incompetence is the reason I'll never use
them.

A friend of mine had her business phone account "accidentally"
deleted and number rendered irretrievable by Vodafone not so long
ago. Caused her massive problems.

Tim

Old October 6th 18, 08:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Someone Somewhere

On 26/09/2018 16:34, Java Jive wrote:
On 19/09/2018 18:47, in uk.telecom.broadband, Java Jive wrote:

"About four million people have been charged for mobile phones they
already own, spending 500m extra on contracts, according to Citizens
Advice.

Three of Britain's biggest mobile networks, EE, Three and Vodafone,
continue to charge for handsets even after the cost has been paid off."

****https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45561044

Now ...

"Mobile phone charges 'unacceptable' says Ofcom

Mobile operators could soon be forced to reduce monthly bills for
customers who have finished paying for their handset.

The telecoms regulator Ofcom says around 1.5 million consumers continue
to be charged the same monthly fee, even though they should only be
paying for the actual calls.

It said the practice was "unacceptable"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45652259

Of course, the net effect of that is that everyone's bills will rise -
presumably the op-cos predict that x% will not renegotiate their
contract following the end of the minimum term and hence can reduce the
headline price of the contract by y% (where y% x%) which may pull in
more customers whilst maintaining margins. If x% is reduced by
legislation to zero, then y% no longer exists and the price of a
contract for everyone goes up.
Old October 6th 18, 08:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Someone Somewhere

On 27/09/2018 13:13, AnthonyL wrote:
On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 19:51:57 +0100, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

On 26/09/2018 16:34, Java Jive wrote:

Now ...

"Mobile phone charges 'unacceptable' says Ofcom

Mobile operators could soon be forced to reduce monthly bills for
customers who have finished paying for their handset.

The telecoms regulator Ofcom says around 1.5 million consumers continue
to be charged the same monthly fee, even though they should only be
paying for the actual calls.

It said the practice was "unacceptable"."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45652259

Haven't had a contract in over 10 years. Three's 321 PAYG deal works
just fine for me, I've spent less than Â20 in the last 3 years.

Indeed it is a good value especially as "never expires" and I've also
got their Data Reward which gives 200mb/month free data which is fine
for satnav traffic and occasional checking of emails etc.

Given ARPU in the UK neither of you are typical customers.
Old October 6th 18, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
AnthonyL

wrote:

[...]

Given that the typical customer seems to be prepared to pay over the
odds I'm happy with that assessment.

--
AnthonyL
Old October 6th 18, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 06/10/2018 12:46, AnthonyL wrote:

Indeed it is a good value especially as "never expires" and I've also
got their Data Reward which gives 200mb/month free data which is fine
for satnav traffic and occasional checking of emails etc.

Given ARPU in the UK neither of you are typical customers.

Given that the typical customer seems to be prepared to pay over the
odds I'm happy with that assessment.

One thing I can confidently claim that I've *never* been described as is
typical..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old October 8th 18, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , MissRiaElaine
writes
On 06/10/2018 12:46, AnthonyL wrote:

Indeed it is a good value especially as "never expires" and I've also
got their Data Reward which gives 200mb/month free data which is fine
for satnav traffic and occasional checking of emails etc.

Given ARPU in the UK neither of you are typical customers.

Given that the typical customer seems to be prepared to pay over the
odds I'm happy with that assessment.

One thing I can confidently claim that I've *never* been described as
is typical..!

Typically non-typical.
OOPS/ That's done it.
--