Wierd problem with Siemens Gigaset C475IP and multicast (maybe)

Old September 20th 18, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

Default Wierd problem with Siemens Gigaset C475IP and multicast (maybe)

We have a largeish house with WiFi and wired LAN using two Draytek
routers (a 2860n and a 2820n) plus several switches.

The 2820n is now just a WiFi access point, i.e. its WANs are not
connected to anything and it just runs as a switch with WiFi.

The C475IP used to be connected to the 2820n but since we started
using Youview (via PlusNet) more extensively it was getting rather
temperamental.

Today I tried to look at the C475IP web setup but couldn't connect, it
wasn't ping'able even though plugged in as normal. After much mucking
about I found that if I connected it to one of the 2860n LAN sockets
it worked OK. Fortunately I had a spare (long!) Cat5e wire to the
C475IP's normal location right across the house from the 2860n (it
faces out of the back of the house to give better phone coverage out
in that direction).

I suspect, but I'm not at all convinced, that the problem is that the
2820n doesn't handle the multicast stuff driving the Youview TV as
well as the more modern 2860n. I did try cable swapping etc. to be
sure I wasn't just having hardware problems and I also rebooted the
2820n a couple of times (including power cycling it) and restarted the
C475IP several times too of course.

There is one other device plugged into the 2820n LAN and that still
works OK so it's not just that the 2820n LAN ports have died (I did
try swapping the C475IP into another socket).

Has anyone else ever encountered anything like this? ... or is it
more likely to be marginal ethernet hardware in either the C475IP or
the 2820n? If it's hardware becoming flakey then maybe I had better
start looking for a replacement but I don't want to do this
unnecessarily.

--
Chris Green

Old September 20th 18, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 20 September 2018 16:48:03 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

I have a C475IP here. It is quite long in the tooth (10 - 12 years), but I have never had any trouble with it.

If you press the little blue button on the front most Gigaset phones will display its IP address.

My guess is that somehow it has the same local IP address 192.168.1.xx as another device on your network with resulting confusion.
Old September 20th 18, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Chris Green

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
[...]

Mine has been pretty reliable too and is probably about the same
vintage as yours.

If you press the little blue button on the front most Gigaset phones will display its IP address.

When it was in its 'not on the LAN' mode all phone functions were
incredibly slow, so response to pressing 'call' or 'listen to
answerphone message' took several seconds. It was as if something was
overloading the C475IP's processor which is what made me wonder about
the multicast stuff, was the C475IP trying to process it?

My guess is that somehow it has the same local IP address 192.168.1.xx
as another device on your network with resulting confusion.

That's unlikely as the DHCP server on my LAN is a Raspberry Pi,
neither of the Draytek routers has its DHCP server turned on. I see
no conflicts with an 'arp-scan -l' though one android device does
occasionally have two versions of itself.

--
Chris Green

Old September 21st 18, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Pancho

On 20/09/2018 16:47, Chris Green wrote:
We have a largeish house with WiFi and wired LAN using two Draytek
routers (a 2860n and a 2820n) plus several switches.

The obvious test would be to use a different switch in place of the
2820N switch.

A cheap spare switch is always worth having for diagnostic tests, A
NETGEAR GS208-100UKS 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch only cost 15.

I doubt it is C475IP.