TalkTalk modems

Old September 22nd 18, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default TalkTalk modems

On Sat 22/09/2018 07:08, Is it safe? wrote:
On 21/09/2018 23:45, Woody wrote:
On Fri 21/09/2018 22:42, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/09/2018 16:16, Woody wrote:
Could anyone answer simple question please?

An elderly neighbour has had her TT router replaced. She had a
Huawei HG633 which has been replaced with a HG635, but both exhibit
the same problem - or at least perceived problem.

Power up and it goes through all its set up, flashing lights etc and
eventually stabilises with four steady greens. However after about a
half hour the Internet light goes steady red, the other lights -
power, broadband and wireless all stay steady green. TT reckon that
this is normal, the the Internet LED goes red if the router is
unused for a while - to me suggesting that it is disconnecting. Due
to other difficulties it has not been possible to check if the LED
goes green again if an attempt is made to access the Interweb
without power cycling.

Can you direct her to browse to the diagnostics page for the modem?
(Assuming that it has a half way useful one)

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience of this issue?

Does the thing still work with a red light on or does it go green
again if she tries to actually use the net?

Anyone who wants to remain sane would do well to avoid TalkTalk. YMMV

I would not argue with that Martin. I have already pointed out to her
that she can get better service with a Sheffield call centre and much
cheaper from Plus Net. When all is resolved we will have a dig into
her costs and see what is on offer. VM is on the building (a block of
four flats) but I suspect that may be a bit pricey for her.

I've had an HG533 for some years and is normal for the router's internet
led to go red when no PC is switched on. As soon as the PC is booted up
the led goes green. All my PCs connect through ethernet cable and have
wireless disabled. If I enable wireless (for Kindle downloads eg) I
don't know if the led will go red after a period of inactivity.

She only has a Hudl2 so wired Ethernet might be a tad difficult? ;-))

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 22nd 18, 08:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Woody wrote:
Could anyone answer simple question please?

An elderly neighbour has had her TT router replaced. She had a Huawei
HG633 which has been replaced with a HG635, but both exhibit the same
problem - or at least perceived problem.

Power up and it goes through all its set up, flashing lights etc and
eventually stabilises with four steady greens. However after about a
half hour the Internet light goes steady red, the other lights - power,
broadband and wireless all stay steady green. TT reckon that this is
normal, the the Internet LED goes red if the router is unused for a
while - to me suggesting that it is disconnecting. Due to other
difficulties it has not been possible to check if the LED goes green
again if an attempt is made to access the Interweb without power cycling.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience of this issue?

It is very likely that the router is configured to drop the connection
after a half hour of non-use. Most routers have this facility, but most
do not come with it set that way "out of the box". However, trying to
get a web page once the timeout period is exceeded should force it to
reconnect. But this might take a couple of minutes, so obviously to
most users the router will appear to be faulty.

You could find out, by connecting a proper computer to the router using
an Ethernet cable and examining the built-in web page of the router. If
you need help to do this please ask here, we can give detailed instructions.

This procedure will allow you to monitor what happens.

--
Graham J

Old September 22nd 18, 09:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 22/09/2018 08:41, Woody wrote:
[...]

Is it the "Internet" light that goes out or the (wired) "Ethernet" one?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 22nd 18, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Fri, 21 Sep 2018 21:38:44 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

First and foremost, don't take any notice of anything a TalkTalk
helpline agent tells you.

First and foremost, ditch TalkTalk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43981652

Then change to Zen, or perhaps Plusnet, and buy a decent modem/router
of your own, such as this one-

Search on Amazon for B01LFGTEI6

There are others, but this is a TP Link one that can do ADSL and VDSL
and has 5GHz wireless. It's worth paying for a good one with a bit of
versatility because you'll only need to buy it once. You can keep it
if you change service providers and don't need to accept whatever
cheap shoddy one the new ISP may offer you.

Rod.

---

Old September 22nd 18, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

[...]

What does it mean though, the router won't be designed for its WAN
port to go to sleep, how could it then respond to the normal ARP
activity that occurs in the background, and how could you begin a
session remotely?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old September 22nd 18, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger[_3_]

On 21/09/2018 22:56, Woody wrote:
On Fri 21/09/2018 20:08, Graham. wrote:
[...]

Is this installation VDSL or ADSL?
Why was the router changed?

http://download-c.huawei.com/downloa...Code=worldwide

The "indicators" section of the manual is a bit wooly about the
meaning of a solid red "Internet" LED, but I notice there is no
mention of an indication of the all-important "no sync"* condition so
I am going to assume solid red is no sync.

So, it's the usual suspects, starting with her telephone wiring and
filter(s)

Tell us about her telephone sockets and what she has plugged into
them, including any filters, or is there a single filtered faceplate?

ADSL 10Mb
Modem is connected through plug-in filter to incoming NTE5 - only socket

The lady (87) had tried to complain to TT last Saturday that she could
not get connection - she has only a Hudl2. The (female) TT agent was not
a native English speaker and had such a heavy accent plus was asking the
lady to crawl about on the floor plugging and unplugging cables that the
lady apologised to her that she couldn't understand what was being said
and rang off. The lady had not noticed (not that she would understand
anyway) that there were no lights on the router.
I visited on Monday morning and quickly diagnosed a failed router PSU. I
fetched a compatible PSU from home (just round the corner) and confirmed
that the router would work properly if it had power.
I tried to report the fault on her behalf (her having done security and
confirmed I could speak for her.) I too got a male non-native English
speaker who was just plain rude. He wanted me to do tests with the
router despite the fact that it was dead.

That is where Zen is good. If you tell them you have done something
they accept it. Also their support staff are in Sheffield and speak
English.

Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old September 22nd 18, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Looks like Graham J may well be correct

Make sure that "PPP trigger mode" is set to "Always online"
Read page, 1 then carry out the config on page 5 he

http://docplayer.net/23798691-Config...l-routers.html
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 22nd 18, 11:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 22:08:32 +0100
Old Codger wrote:

On 21/09/2018 22:56, Woody wrote:
On Fri 21/09/2018 20:08, Graham. wrote:
Could anyone answer simple question please?

An elderly neighbour has had her TT router replaced. She had a
Huawei HG633 which has been replaced with a HG635, but both
exhibit the same problem - or at least perceived problem.

snip

That is where Zen is good. If you tell them you have done

sn something
they accept it. Also their support staff are in Sheffield and speak
English.

I agree. Zen are superbly helpful. I recently began suffering from
late-night massive slowdown, and with a few e-mail messages back and
forth, they had analysed when the problem occurred, and suggested some
possible reasons. They primed me with some tests, some of which I did,
some of which were to be done if needed, and were ready to call
Outreach if there was no improvement, with the usual 130 caveat. I was
well informed at all times. The problem went away, as they said,
possibly because their line testing may have fixed a bad connection
somewhere.

I have only praise for them as an ISP.

--
Davey.

Old September 23rd 18, 03:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 22/09/2018 22:08, Old Codger wrote:

That is where Zen is good.* If you tell them you have done something
they accept it.* Also their support staff are in Sheffield and speak
English.

Zen are in Rochdale, it's Plusnet who are Sheffield (But your point is
100% valid)

--
Mark