TalkTalk modems

Old September 21st 18, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

Default TalkTalk modems

Could anyone answer simple question please?

An elderly neighbour has had her TT router replaced. She had a Huawei
HG633 which has been replaced with a HG635, but both exhibit the same
problem - or at least perceived problem.

Power up and it goes through all its set up, flashing lights etc and
eventually stabilises with four steady greens. However after about a
half hour the Internet light goes steady red, the other lights - power,
broadband and wireless all stay steady green. TT reckon that this is
normal, the the Internet LED goes red if the router is unused for a
while - to me suggesting that it is disconnecting. Due to other
difficulties it has not been possible to check if the LED goes green
again if an attempt is made to access the Interweb without power cycling.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience of this issue?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old September 21st 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

Could anyone answer simple question please?

An elderly neighbour has had her TT router replaced. She had a Huawei
HG633 which has been replaced with a HG635, but both exhibit the same
problem - or at least perceived problem.

Power up and it goes through all its set up, flashing lights etc and
eventually stabilises with four steady greens. However after about a
half hour the Internet light goes steady red, the other lights - power,
broadband and wireless all stay steady green. TT reckon that this is
normal, the the Internet LED goes red if the router is unused for a
while - to me suggesting that it is disconnecting. Due to other
difficulties it has not been possible to check if the LED goes green
again if an attempt is made to access the Interweb without power cycling.

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience of this issue?

First and foremost, don't take any notice of anything a TalkTalk
helpline agent tells you.

Is this installation VDSL or ADSL?
Why was the router changed?

http://download-c.huawei.com/downloa...Code=worldwide
The "indicators" section of the manual is a bit wooly about the
meaning of a solid red "Internet" LED, but I notice there is no
mention of an indication of the all-important "no sync" condition so
I am going to assume solid red is no sync.

So, it's the usual suspects, starting with her telephone wiring and
filter(s)

Tell us about her telephone sockets and what she has plugged into
them, including any filters, or is there a single filtered faceplate?

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 21st 18, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 21/09/2018 20:08, Graham. wrote:
First and foremost, don't take any notice of anything a TalkTalk
helpline agent tells you.

First and foremost, ditch TalkTalk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-43981652

Andy
Old September 21st 18, 10:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 21/09/2018 16:16, Woody wrote:
Could anyone answer simple question please?

An elderly neighbour has had her TT router replaced. She had a Huawei
HG633 which has been replaced with a HG635, but both exhibit the same
problem - or at least perceived problem.

Power up and it goes through all its set up, flashing lights etc and
eventually stabilises with four steady greens. However after about a
half hour the Internet light goes steady red, the other lights - power,
broadband and wireless all stay steady green. TT reckon that this is
normal, the the Internet LED goes red if the router is unused for a
while - to me suggesting that it is disconnecting. Due to other
difficulties it has not been possible to check if the LED goes green
again if an attempt is made to access the Interweb without power cycling.

Can you direct her to browse to the diagnostics page for the modem?
(Assuming that it has a half way useful one)

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience of this issue?

Does the thing still work with a red light on or does it go green again
if she tries to actually use the net?

Anyone who wants to remain sane would do well to avoid TalkTalk. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old September 21st 18, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Fri 21/09/2018 20:08, Graham. wrote:
[...]

ADSL 10Mb
Modem is connected through plug-in filter to incoming NTE5 - only socket

The lady (87) had tried to complain to TT last Saturday that she could
not get connection - she has only a Hudl2. The (female) TT agent was not
a native English speaker and had such a heavy accent plus was asking the
lady to crawl about on the floor plugging and unplugging cables that the
lady apologised to her that she couldn't understand what was being said
and rang off. The lady had not noticed (not that she would understand
anyway) that there were no lights on the router.
I visited on Monday morning and quickly diagnosed a failed router PSU. I
fetched a compatible PSU from home (just round the corner) and confirmed
that the router would work properly if it had power.
I tried to report the fault on her behalf (her having done security and
confirmed I could speak for her.) I too got a male non-native English
speaker who was just plain rude. He wanted me to do tests with the
router despite the fact that it was dead. He also wanted me to power up
the router to see if there were any on-screen messages on the Hudl to
indicate her bill had not been paid - he just couldn't seem to get his
head around the fact that I was talking on the phone that was part of
the package and payment is by direct debit. I am not one easily riled
but I started to loose my temper a bit as he just would not listen to
what I was saying and started shouting at me . In the end I just said we
were getting nowhere and rang off.

Here is the bit that might be of interest to readers. I went home and
did a quick Google for the CEO of TT: up popped a site that gave her
name, her direct email address, and her location so I shot off a polite
but firm email to her complaining of the problem and about the rudeness
of her staff. (It's not Dido Harding any more by the way.)
The next morning (Tuesday) the lady got a call from the Chief Execs
Office Complaints Manager. The lady excused herself as she had visitors
so the CEO-CM said she would ring back at 14:00 which she did and I took
the call (after the usual security etc.) She was very apologetic for the
way we had both been treated and said she would have a new modem sent
out that day and would call back to ensure all was well, and that the
agents concerned would be 'retrained' if necessary. True enough the
modem arrived the next morning (HG635 this time) and I fitted it
yesterday. Wa hey, it worked - except that the Internet LED went red
after about a half hour - and this was 100% repeatable both on the new
router and the old one (I had not noticed it on the old one probably as
I didn't have it powered up for long enough.)
I fired off another email to the CEO-CM last night to which she replied
this morning, said she would pass the fault to the Manchester tech team
and even if the fault was on the premises and not of their doing as a
goodwill gesture she would ensure there would be no charge if an
engineer visited. Such an engineer is visiting Monday lunchtime. He did
however ring this morning and said that the LED will go red if the modem
was not used - which I too think is a load of blx.

Interestingly another old boy down the road had similar problems with PO
Broadband (TT in disguise) a couple of years ago. I leant him a totally
different modem which cured the problem for as long as he used it but he
went back to the old modem (actually his second) and it fell over again.
He ended up being sent four identical modems before the fault
mysteriously cleared and has never returned.

OK, a long story for which I apologise, but at least it shows it pays to
complain where it hurts sometimes!

I will report back after the visit on Monday which I will attend.

Old September 21st 18, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Fri 21/09/2018 22:42, Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I would not argue with that Martin. I have already pointed out to her
that she can get better service with a Sheffield call centre and much
cheaper from Plus Net. When all is resolved we will have a dig into her
costs and see what is on offer. VM is on the building (a block of four
flats) but I suspect that may be a bit pricey for her.

Old September 22nd 18, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

It will be a TalkTalk engineer that visits, not Openreach,
nevertheless I would be a good idea to confirm with him/her that the
visit is FOC before letting them in.

It's fortunate that there is no extension wiring hopefully there is
little scope for it being deemed to be your fault

It may be that the DLM was reset by the bungling droid when you had
the PSU problem and, it is having problems re-training itself, maybe
that accounts for the disconnections?

Let's hope for the best then, use tea and biscuits to keep the
engineer there long enough to see if it still occurs.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Old September 22nd 18, 07:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Is it safe?

On 21/09/2018 23:45, Woody wrote:
[...]

I've had an HG533 for some years and is normal for the router's internet
led to go red when no PC is switched on. As soon as the PC is booted up
the led goes green. All my PCs connect through ethernet cable and have
wireless disabled. If I enable wireless (for Kindle downloads eg) I
don't know if the led will go red after a period of inactivity.
Old September 22nd 18, 08:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim+[_2_]

Woody wrote:
[...]

Hmm, we recently realised that my mothers Talktalk internet had gone
intermittent. Moving the router away from the wireless CH stat in the hall
and plugging it into a different phone socket fixed the issue.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old September 22nd 18, 08:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sat 22/09/2018 08:03, Tim+ wrote:
Woody wrote:
[...]

Therein lies an interesting thought. Her DECT phone and its base stand
on the small table right in front of the router. I'll try it later today
when I go round.