High speed broadband to become a legal right

Old October 9th 18, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

Default High speed broadband to become a legal right

On 09/10/2018 16:53, Graham J wrote:
It's about 5mm diameter in black with a yellow stripe along its length.

That's actually a duct. The fibre is inside.

Andy
Old October 9th 18, 11:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/10/2018 16:53, Graham J wrote:
It's about 5mm diameter in black with a yellow stripe along its length.

That's actually a duct. The fibre is inside.

In the same way that an electric cable is a conductor inside some
insulation. But normally the word cable is used for the complete
assembly, rather than saying the copper wire is in an insulating duct.

I accept that the proportions are different - the fibre is probably 62.5
microns diameter, while copper wire might be anything from 0.1mm upwards.

There are probably 72 fibres in this cable, see:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/03/new-micro-fibre-optic-cable-help-bt-openreachs-uk-network-capacity.html

--
Graham J
Old October 11th 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Caspersz

On 04/10/18 18:16, Java Jive wrote:
Not sure if I've linked to this before, so ...

"High speed broadband to become a legal right.

Not to have people sleeping on the streets to become a legal right?

--
Adrian C
Old October 15th 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 09/10/2018 22:53, Graham J wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/10/2018 16:53, Graham J wrote:
It's about 5mm diameter in black with a yellow stripe along its length.

That's actually a duct. The fibre is inside.

In the same way that an electric cable is a conductor inside some
insulation.* But normally the word cable is used for the complete
assembly, rather than saying the copper wire is in an insulating duct.

I accept that the proportions are different - the fibre is probably 62.5
microns diameter, while copper wire might be anything from 0.1mm upwards.

There are probably 72 fibres in this cable, see:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/03/new-micro-fibre-optic-cable-help-bt-openreachs-uk-network-capacity.html

Not at all like a conductor in a normal cable.

Our install had a bunch of monkeys install a duct from the junction box
across the road to our house. I say monkeys, because they didn't even
know what the bend radius limit was.

A few days later another guy turned up with a bunch of kit and blew a
fibre through the duct. This time it's the term fibre I use loosely -
I'm sure it has a protective cover. Which is loose inside the duct, but
tight on the fibre.

2nd guy spliced in the bit that goes from our house external box into
the modem.

He wouldn't put the JB up in the corner though - didn't want to use the
splicer up a ladder... I must box it in. It's under the firewood pile.

I have a direct burial (SWA) cable out to my office in the garden. I
also have a duct which contains a length of CAT5E cable.

Andy
Old October 16th 18, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Vir Campestris wrote:
[...]

I think what you are describing is FTTP.

I am describing the infrastructure for FTTC.

My description was of the fibre running TO the green cabinet, which was
pulled through an underground duct along a couple of miles of roadside
verge then taken up poles for its run through the village. The 5mm
diameter black and yellow thing that I'm calling a cable is jointed in a
couple of places; the joints are fixed about 3 metres up a pole.

These joints have two circular pieces about 10cm diameter around which
the "cable" is wound a couple of times. I didn't see any of these
joints being made, but I overheard a technician explaining that he would
have to temporarily run the "cable" ends to his van to make the joint there.

At one location the "cable" was left overnight before the joint was made
to the next section. The "cable" was left in a coil about 50cm diameter
tied onto the pole with a plastic ty-rap, labelled. The text on the
"cable" reads:

MULT1 ELEMENT LU OH FIBRE CABLE 36F/18 PROPERTY OF BT PGH 3318

I think this means it contains 36 fibres.

I stand by my assertion that the best description of this is "cable"
rather than "duct".

--
Graham J
Old October 18th 18, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 16/10/2018 08:35, Graham J wrote:
I think what you are describing is FTTP.

Correct.

snip

The text on the "cable" reads:

MULT1 ELEMENT LU OH FIBRE CABLE 36F/18 PROPERTY OF BT PGH 3318

I think this means it contains 36 fibres.

I stand by my assertion that the best description of this is "cable"
rather than "duct".

I haven't seen the ends of that. It may well be a cable (in the rope
maker's sense too - a bundle of fibres).

That explains the discrepancy.

Andy