High speed broadband to become a legal right

Old October 4th 18, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default High speed broadband to become a legal right

Not sure if I've linked to this before, so ...

"High speed broadband to become a legal right.

Universal Service Obligation will deliver high speed broadband across
the UK - Published 20 December 2017

From: Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport and The Rt Hon
Karen Bradley MP

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will be
delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO), giving
everyone in the UK access to speeds of at least 10 Mbps by 2020.

In the summer, we received a proposal from BT to deliver universal
broadband through a voluntary agreement. We welcomed BT's proposal and
have considered this in detail alongside a regulatory approach. We did
not feel the proposal was strong enough for us to take the regulatory
USO off the table, and have therefore decided not to pursue BT's
proposal in favour of providing a legal right to broadband."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...-a-legal-right

From: Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport and The Rt Hon
Karen Bradley MP

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will be
delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO), giving
everyone in the UK access to speeds of at least 10 Mbps by 2020.

In the summer, we received a proposal from BT to deliver universal
broadband through a voluntary agreement. We welcomed BT's proposal and
have considered this in detail alongside a regulatory approach. We did not
feel the proposal was strong enough for us to take the regulatory USO off
the table, and have therefore decided not to pursue BT's proposal in
favour of providing a legal right to broadband."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...-a-legal-right

I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of long phone
lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange. Will they have a
get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade the phone line if there's 10
Mbps by some other means such as mobile or Virgin, even if it's more
expensive"?

I'm suffering with a line that gets about 1.5 Mbps download and very slow
upload (speedtest.net says it's about 0.1 Mbps). And talking to my
neighbours, they get the same, so it's not just my line that has a bad
joint. I console myself that until a few years ago, there was no hope of
getting ADSL, and the only way to get connected was via dial-up.

I'm looking at buying a new house (where we are at present is a stop-gap
between selling our old house and finding a new one) and a lot in small
towns or suburbs do not yet have FTTC. Some have Virgin, which is great for
speed but also costs a lot more. I think it's the dreaded problem of lines
which are too close to the exchange and so go directly rather than via a
green cabinet that can have FTTC equipment. BT really do need to get their
act together and speed up their installation of green-cabinet equipment
close to the exchange (but far enough away not to cause crosstalk with the
exchange) for all those exchange-only lines.

Old October 5th 18, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

NY wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will
be delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO)
I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of long phone

lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange. Will they have a
get-out clause

It would hardly be a universal obligation if they did, presumably
non-copper solutions such as 4G/satellite/line-of-sight will be used
where required?
Old October 5th 18, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 5 October 2018 10:28:04 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will
be delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO)
I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of long phone

lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange. Will they have a
get-out clause

It would hardly be a universal obligation if they did, presumably
non-copper solutions such as 4G/satellite/line-of-sight will be used
where required?

Of course - how they deliver it is not the customers' business - as at present, and 3/4/5G, satellite or microwave are all feasible. In remote places where this is the best solution mobile data is likely to be pretty lightly used, so not a huge problem.
Old October 5th 18, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Java Jive wrote:
The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will be
delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO) I wonder
what they will do about people who are at the end of long phone

lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange. Will they have a
get-out clause

It would hardly be a universal obligation if they did, presumably
non-copper solutions such as 4G/satellite/line-of-sight will be used where
required?

So it will only be universal in the sense of finding *some* way of getting
faster broadband, not universal in the sense that everyone will be able to
get ADSL or FTTC/VDSL at 10 Mbps at the same or a two-tier (*) price
without having to pay an extra cost because the only solution is 4G or
Virgin.

(*) At present, many ISPs charge one of two prices depending on which
exchange you are connected to, presumably reflecting a premium that BT
charge ISPs for rural lines/exchanges.

From: Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport and The Rt Hon
Karen Bradley MP

The Government has confirmed that universal high speed broadband will be
delivered by a regulatory Universal Service Obligation (USO), giving
everyone in the UK access to speeds of at least 10 Mbps by 2020.

In the summer, we received a proposal from BT to deliver universal
broadband through a voluntary agreement. We welcomed BT's proposal and
have considered this in detail alongside a regulatory approach. We did
not feel the proposal was strong enough for us to take the regulatory
USO off the table, and have therefore decided not to pursue BT's
proposal in favour of providing a legal right to broadband."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...-a-legal-right

This allows copper providers to be told
to supply more copper.

Phone Internet and cable Internet cumpanies
to benefit. Fiber Internet companies
are not given a look in despite
fiber Internet is 20x cheaper per bit
than any phone Internet or cable Internet.

The regulatory system stacked with crooks
working for phone Internet and cable Internet
cumpanies. A true USO also includes fiber - THANKS!
Old October 5th 18, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont[_2_]

On Fri, 5 Oct 2018 10:20:22 +0100, NY wrote:

I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of long phone
lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange. Will they have a
get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade the phone line if there's 10
Mbps by some other means such as mobile or Virgin, even if it's more
expensive"?

When this was first in the news it was that everyone will have the
right to 'ask' for high speed. It didn't guarantee that they would get
it.

Now it's subject to a cost ceiling (as stated in the article) but I
don't know what that is. It's a USO for those where the supplier can
afford it!

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old October 5th 18, 04:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd

I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of
long phone lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange.
Will they have a get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade
the phone line if there's 10 Mbps by some other means such as
mobile or Virgin, even if it's more expensive"?

Yes, maximum free build cost is 3,000 or something, any more and you pay the
balance since the most remote premises may cost more than 40,000. And you may
get wireless broadband initially, not fibre.

And there is no rush, by 2033 for full fibre to all homes and businesses.

Angus

Old October 5th 18, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 05/10/2018 15:13, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
I wonder what they will do about people who are at the end of
long phone lines in rural areas several miles from an exchange.
Will they have a get-out clause like "we don't have to upgrade
the phone line if there's 10 Mbps by some other means such as
mobile or Virgin, even if it's more expensive"?

Yes, maximum free build cost is 3,000 or something, any more and you pay the
balance since the most remote premises may cost more than 40,000. And you may
get wireless broadband initially, not fibre.

And there is no rush, by 2033 for full fibre to all homes and businesses.

There's rather more of a rush in Scotland, however, by 2021 ...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-45586744
Old October 6th 18, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richmond[_2_]

In Cleveland (USA) they used millimetre wave wireless. I am not sure how
that works, maybe using dishes, but I think it is not so good in fog and
rain. If you have no broadband at all I guess even broadband on sunny
days only would be a boon.

https://www.digitalc.org/connect-the...ected-program/

--
~