A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Jersey fibred up



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old October 13th 18, 09:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 256
Default Jersey fibred up

In article ,
DrTeeth wrote:


Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.
^^^^^^^


What was your premise for not using the customary plural form?


That sentence looks 100% grammatically correct to me. Even the
apostrophe has been used correctly.


There is no grammatical error. But it's surprising that
"Socrates is a man" and "all men are mortal" now have fibre
broadband.

And when I wonder visited the oldest building on Jersey a few weeks
ago I didn't notice any fibre broadband the

http://www.bbc.co.uk/staticarchive/4...f868d4445d.gif

-- Richard
  #22  
Old October 14th 18, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Timer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Jersey fibred up

In message , DrTeeth
writes
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:24:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, Graham. disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.

^^^^^^^

What was your premise for not using the customary plural form?


That sentence looks 100% grammatically correct to me. Even the
apostrophe has been used correctly.


It's rather debatable. It rather depends whether it's a rollout OF seven
years or a rollout FOR seven years. The best solution might be to say "a
seven year rollout".
--
OT
  #23  
Old October 14th 18, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 12
Default Jersey fibred up

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 08:48:01 +0100, Old Timer wrote:

In message , DrTeeth
writes
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:24:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
Graham. disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.
^^^^^^^

What was your premise for not using the customary plural form?


That sentence looks 100% grammatically correct to me. Even the
apostrophe has been used correctly.


It's rather debatable. It rather depends whether it's a rollout OF seven
years or a rollout FOR seven years. The best solution might be to say "a
seven year rollout".


I thought the complaint was about 'premise':

"Some people suppose that since “premises” has a plural form, a single
house or other piece of property must be a “premise,” but that word is
reserved for use as a term in logic meaning something assumed or taken as
given in making an argument. Your lowly one-room shack is still your
premises."
  #24  
Old October 14th 18, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Timer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Jersey fibred up

In message , Bob Eager
writes




I thought the complaint was about 'premise':

Missed that!
--
OT
  #25  
Old October 14th 18, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 77
Default Jersey fibred up

On 14/10/2018 10:47, Bob Eager wrote:

I thought the complaint was about 'premise':

"Some people suppose that since “premises” has a plural form, a single
house or other piece of property must be a “premise,” but that word is
reserved for use as a term in logic meaning something assumed or taken as
given in making an argument. Your lowly one-room shack is still your
premises."


The police seem particularly prone to calling somewhere they're about to
attack with the 'big red key' a 'premise', never understood why.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #26  
Old October 14th 18, 06:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 333
Default Jersey fibred up

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 16:40:46 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, MissRiaElaine disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

The police seem particularly prone to calling somewhere they're about to
attack with the 'big red key' a 'premise', never understood why.


Police have a weird way of talking all together. For example where we
would say "car" they have to say "vehicle". Nobody except they talk
like that. The use of "premise" sounds correct, albeit old fashioned.
I like the sound of it as used.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"The best argument against democracy
is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
  #27  
Old October 14th 18, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 77
Default Jersey fibred up

On 14/10/2018 17:52, DrTeeth wrote:

Police have a weird way of talking all together. For example where we
would say "car" they have to say "vehicle". Nobody except they talk
like that. The use of "premise" sounds correct, albeit old fashioned.
I like the sound of it as used.


So do I, strangely enough. Said by anybody else, it seems wrong, but for
them it sounds right.

By the way, never go drinking with police officers. They'll drink you
under the table. A friend of mine was once in the police (he retired on
medical grounds) and I went to the pub with him and several of his mates
once. They all seemed to manage to drink about six pints to my one..!


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #28  
Old October 15th 18, 12:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 333
Default Jersey fibred up

On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 19:12:07 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, MissRiaElaine disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

By the way, never go drinking with police officers. They'll drink you
under the table.


Within 2 days of arriving at university, I was on the dental society
drinking team. I could take on the whole Met! My children are now at
uni, and they blame me that it takes them over half a bottle of vodka
to get nicely fuzzed as they have inherited my liver!
--
Cheers,

DrT

"The best argument against democracy
is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
  #29  
Old October 15th 18, 01:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 77
Default Jersey fibred up

On 14/10/2018 23:53, DrTeeth wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2018 19:12:07 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, MissRiaElaine disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

By the way, never go drinking with police officers. They'll drink you
under the table.


Within 2 days of arriving at university, I was on the dental society
drinking team. I could take on the whole Met! My children are now at
uni, and they blame me that it takes them over half a bottle of vodka
to get nicely fuzzed as they have inherited my liver!


Thanks, that will fill me nicely with confidence when my next check-up
is due..!

Seriously, I do get on ok with my current dentist, he's extremely good.
The last one I went to before I moved up here gave me a very good piece
of advice - when choosing a dentist, speak to the lab techs. They know
who does the best work, and they do, it's how I found the guy I see now.


--
Ria in Aberdeen

[Send address is invalid, use sipsoup at gmail dot com to reply direct]
  #30  
Old October 15th 18, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 333
Default Jersey fibred up

On Mon, 15 Oct 2018 00:03:51 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, MissRiaElaine disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

They know
who does the best work, and they do, it's how I found the guy I see now.


That's a good one, never heard that before. It is not the full story
though, but it is a damn good start.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"The best argument against democracy
is a five-minute conversation with
the average voter." - Winston Churchill
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jersey Telecom Fibre Optic Gigabit Broadband in Top Ten fastest ISP Nick Le Lievre uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 22 January 14th 13 11:13 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2018 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.