Jersey fibred up

Old October 10th 18, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default Jersey fibred up

Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in Jersey now has fibre broadband.

Contrary to claims by other contributors to this that this would only cost tuppence, it cost over 40M to reach 45k premises using 3Mm or 4,000 miles of fibre (reports differ). That's nearly 1,000 per connection! Their government paid nearly half.

If you actually want gigabit Ethernet, JT will charge you 70pm and even then usage is capped. Cheaper options are available, but with the speed throttled and an even lower cap.

Jersey is a small densely populated island, keeping cable runs short. Extrapolated to the UK, with 30M dwellings and probably 4M business premises, would give an overall cost of 32Billion. Whilst there would be some economies from the greater scale, this would be offset by numerous connections in remoter parts of the country.

Installing universal fibre is only cheaper than copper in Dreamland...
Old October 10th 18, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[...]

The cost is 16b and benefit is 120b.

Old October 10th 18, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 13:19:38 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

[...]

That is still about 500 per connection.

How did you assess the benefit?
Old October 10th 18, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 10/10/2018 13:10, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in Jersey now has fibre broadband.

I could not decide from the report whether every premises HAS fibre or
HAS ACCESS TO fibre if they want it.

Has JT ripped out all the copper?

Does everyone have to provide a power socket?

Is the voice connection being transferred to the fibre and so needing a
UPS which I would not want to leave on when not at home.

Old October 10th 18, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 13:30:24 UTC+1, MB wrote:
On 10/10/2018 13:10, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in Jersey now has fibre broadband.

I could not decide from the report whether every premises HAS fibre or
HAS ACCESS TO fibre if they want it.

Has access.

Has JT ripped out all the copper?

Not yet, but it will do.

Does everyone have to provide a power socket?

Dunno - but probably. I had this problem with ISDN provided over fibre - no S-Bus power.

Is the voice connection being transferred to the fibre and so needing a
UPS which I would not want to leave on when not at home.

Don't see why you would need an UPS - Jersey has long had the highest mobile penetration too.

Old October 10th 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

MB wrote:

On 10/10/2018 13:10, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.

I could not decide from the report whether every premises HAS fibre or
HAS ACCESS TO fibre if they want it.

Has JT ripped out all the copper?

Does everyone have to provide a power socket?

Is the voice connection being transferred to the fibre and so needing a
UPS which I would not want to leave on when not at home.

Tons of standard phone cumpany trolls rolling off your
tongue there.

You don't need any of it.

Just wifi and smartphone with apps like
Localphone, whatsapp wechat skype etc.

Haven't used a real phone in a decade!!

Old October 10th 18, 04:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 05:23:28 -0700 (PDT), just as I was about to take
a herb, "R. Mark Clayton" disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

That is still about 500 per connection.

You have to have LOADS of money to live in Jersey don't you? Even
people who were born there cannot return unless they are rich.
--
Cheers,

DrT

"If you want to find out what is wrong
with democracy, spend five minutes with
the average voter". - Winston Churchill
Old October 10th 18, 05:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 10 October 2018 14:34:23 UTC+1, 7 wrote:
MB wrote:

On 10/10/2018 13:10, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Various news reports that after seven years' rollout every premise in
Jersey now has fibre broadband.

I could not decide from the report whether every premises HAS fibre or
HAS ACCESS TO fibre if they want it.

Has JT ripped out all the copper?

Does everyone have to provide a power socket?

Is the voice connection being transferred to the fibre and so needing a
UPS which I would not want to leave on when not at home.

Tons of standard phone cumpany trolls rolling off your
tongue there.

You don't need any of it.

Just wifi and smartphone with apps like
Localphone, whatsapp wechat skype etc.

Haven't used a real phone in a decade!!

Few people in this group realised you were that old...
Old October 10th 18, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

and wrote:

That is still about 500 per connection.

You have to have LOADS of money to live in Jersey don't you? Even
people who were born there cannot return unless they are rich.
--
Cheers,

DrT

Cheaper housing is reserved for those born on the island - immigrants have to buy very expensive houses or just come on holiday.

Old October 10th 18, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 10/10/2018 17:37, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Cheaper housing is reserved for those born on the island - immigrants have to buy very expensive houses or just come on holiday.

I think people moving to the island for essential work can get residency
if no local can do the job. If only the same applied in the UK!