VDSL VLAN tag question

Old November 3rd 18, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Default VDSL VLAN tag question

Graham J wrote:
A relative has a V2830 with an Openreach modem connected to the WAN2
port, using VDSL, and this does not require the VLAN tag 101 where the
ISP is Zen Internet. Do you think the requirement may depend on the
ISP, or on the type of modem in use?

FTTC uses PTM with a VLAN of 101. This is truth for at least for BT.

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre...r/td-p/1040540
https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre...1040540/page/2

In my current setup with OpenWRT there is no 101, just PPPoE.
I guess that Plusnet also uses the 101 vlan, like BT, but the external
modem itself takes care of the 101.

The manual of the external modem says nothing about that.

https://www.sudo.ws/todd/hg612/EchoL...%20Guid e.pdf
Old November 3rd 18, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 03/11/2018 10:18, Chris Green wrote:

The 2860n can certainly separate WiFi LANs on different SSIDs. In the
VLAN configuration you can assign SSIDs as well a LAN ports to each
VLAN.

Yes, and so can the 2830. I was looking in the wrong place in the
manual, in the Wireless LAN section instead of the VLAN section.

It's been quite a while since I last tried to set this up, and then
couldn't get it to work, and, although I now think I know what went
wrong - if you set a VLAN tag on one SSID you have to set them on
*all* - as it wasn't then important to the customer's immediate needs,
I've not had a chance since to correct the router's config to what I
originally planned. There was an exchange of emails suggesting that I
go up before this last summer's season to do that and other work, but my
estimate of costs frightened him off !-)
Old November 3rd 18, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 02/11/2018 17:56, Andy Burns wrote:
Java Jive wrote:

I have no experience of VDSL specifically,
Do you really mean VLAN?

Yes he does, it's used in a similar way to the VPI=0/VCI=38 for
openreach PPPoA with ADSL, IIRC some of the unbunbdled providers
(Be/bulldog) used different values.

Theoretically allowing multiple virtual circuits, but I highly doubt you
could ever order two different ISP connections over a single line.

I think I understand, presumably what is a single VLAN among many from
the point of view of the supplying ISP is just 'the WAN' from the point
of view of a reseller or a customer connecting to that VLAN.
Old November 3rd 18, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 02/11/2018 17:17, Andy Burns wrote:
Graham J wrote:

Using a Vigor 2860 router with WAN1 connected to a VDSL service, it is
necessary to enable the VLAN tag with value=101.

Can anybody explain what this actually does?

openreach can supply multiple VLANs within the PPPoE session, e.g. I
believe if you have BT Sport channels they are multicast on a separate
VLAN, it's bad form to use VLAN=1 for real traffic, so I guess somebody
in Martlesham chose 101.

Separate VLAN for TR069? or for BT-Wifi if you're on BT Internet?

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old November 3rd 18, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Alfred wrote:

Are you using LEDE/OpenWRT?
I use a similar setup with a BT home hub with OpenWRT and an Openreach
modem for VDSL (FTTC) over othernet connected to the WAN port.

config interface 'wan'
option _orig_ifname 'eth0'
option _orig_bridge 'false'
option ifname 'eth0.2'
option proto 'pppoe'
option username '
option password 'XXXX'
option ipv6 'auto'

Mine ...

config interface 'WAN1'
option proto 'pppoe'
option username '
option password 'xxxxx'
option ipv6 'auto'
option delegate '0'
option mtu '1508'
option ifname 'dsl0.101'

Old November 3rd 18, 09:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Java Jive wrote:

I think I understand, presumably what is a single VLAN among many from
the point of view of the supplying ISP is just 'the WAN' from the point
of view of a reseller or a customer connecting to that VLAN.

yes, I'd say so.
Old November 3rd 18, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Sat, 03 Nov 2018 15:52:10 +0000, Graham J wrote:

A relative has a V2830 with an Openreach modem connected to the WAN2
port, using VDSL, and this does not require the VLAN tag 101 where the
ISP is Zen Internet. Do you think the requirement may depend on the
ISP, or on the type of modem in use?

Presumably the OpenReach modem is pre-configured.

I don't believe it varies with ISP. Or even with the transit provider.

I used to connect to my ISP via BT Wholesale, but I now do it via Talk
Talk wholesale. I still have the VLAN 101 set on my 2860.
Old November 4th 18, 11:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

option ifname 'dsl0.101'

I assume that you are using the internal modem, not a separate router
and external openreach modem.
Old November 4th 18, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Graham J wrote:
Alfred wrote:

[snip]

I think the 101 tag is only when you use the internal modem for ADSL
(possibly also for VDSL).* For the setup with internal modem I used
network.wan.ifname='ptm0.101'

[snip]

The Vigor V2860 instructions say that the VLAN tag value of 101 is
required for VDSL (but not for ADSL) when using the internal modem.

Probably tomorrow I will test this with an external modem on a V2860 and
a V2830, and will report back.

A relative has a V2830 with an Openreach modem connected to the WAN2
port, using VDSL, and this does not require the VLAN tag 101 where the
ISP is Zen Internet.* Do you think the requirement may depend on the
ISP, or on the type of modem in use?

So, testing as promised:

ISP = Zen Internet, FTTC
Modem connected to WAN2 of router

Using V2830:
No VLAN tag set: connects OK
VLAN tag=101: no connection

Therefore VLAN tagging is not required on WAN2 with this router.

Not tested using the V2860, primarily because I have another problem
with that, which I will post about soon.

--
Graham J

Old November 4th 18, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

testing as promised:

ISP = Zen Internet, FTTC
Modem connected to WAN2 of router

Using V2830:
No VLAN tag set: connects OK
VLAN tag=101: no connection

Therefore VLAN tagging is not required on WAN2 with this router.

As you're using an external modem, the WAN side of the modem handles the
VLAN and just presents an ethernet port which the router can use via its
WAN2 port to establish an PPPoE session, so I wouldn't expect you to
handle the VLAN in this case, the modem is doing it for you.