Vigor V2860 WAN2 to modem to Plusnet

Old November 4th 18, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Vigor V2860 WAN2 to modem to Plusnet

Configuration is:

Vigor 2860
WAN1 connected to VDSL service from Zen Internet
WAN2 connected to modem to ADSL service from Plusnet.
Error Router: Message [ PPPoE : No response from server side. ]

The problem with Plusnet is present regardless of whether WAN1 is used
or not.

But:

Using Vigor 2830
WAN1 not connected
WAN2 connected to modem to ADSL service from Plusnet.
This connects OK

However: Vigor 2860
WAN1 not connected
WAN2 connected to modem to VDSL service from ***Zen Internet***
This works OK.

I suspected a problem about a couple of months back (September 2018).
At that time I had a Vigor V2910 and two ADSL modems - this was before
the Zen connection was upgraded to VDSL. The Plusnet connection
appeared to fail. Ater much testing I assumed that there was a problem
with the very old V2910 and decided to pension it off. In the mean time
I configured its WAN2 to communicate with a router rather than a modem,
which behaved as expected.

So there appears to be an incompatibility between the WAN2 port of some
Vigor routers and the Plusnet ADSL service.

Has anybody else seen this?

--
Graham J

Old November 4th 18, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

WAN2 connected to modem to ADSL service from Plusnet.
Error Router: Message [ PPPoE : No response from server side. ]

The problem with Plusnet is present regardless of whether WAN1 is used
or not.

But:

Using Vigor 2830
WAN1 not connected
WAN2 connected to modem to ADSL service from Plusnet.
This connects OK

Did you try using PPPoA for plusnet adsl, not PPPoE? even if you are
using an external modem over ethernet.

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/...tion-settings/

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name
Connection type or encapsulation 'PPPoA' or 'PPP over ATM'
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
Virtual Path Identifier (VPI) 0
Virtual Channel Identifier (VCI) 38
Multiplexing method 'VC Based' or 'VCMUX' or 'VC-Multiplexing'
Old November 4th 18, 03:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Alfred wrote:
[...]

PPPoA is not an option available on the WAN2 port of any Vigor router.
'PPP over ATM' relates to the transport mechanism of the modem. The
other parameters you quote also relate to the modem, not the router; and
are configured in the modem itself.

--
Graham J

Old November 4th 18, 03:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

On 04/11/2018 13:13, Alfred wrote:
Vigor 2830

Once/if you have fix/ed the above you then have the issue of routing.
Which ISP does a particular packet take ? As you are not running a
routing protocol how will it decide ?

I had this working years ago on a cisco with 2 adsl cards in it.
One Was to the ISP I was working for at the time and the other my
personal Demon Internet account.

As I knew all the IP address ranges of the ISP I worked for I put static
routes for the superblocks via their dsl circuit and a default route to
the rest of the internet via my Demon account.

To keep it simple I used Google's DNS for both.

I am not sure that a cheap soho router will be able to do this, but
Drayteks are better than most.

2 nic cards in your PC and 2 dsl routers one for each ISP will also work
as long as the IP range is different on each routers internal LAN and
you setup routing as above
Old November 4th 18, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

grinch wrote:
On 04/11/2018 13:13, Alfred wrote:
Vigor 2830

Once/if* you have fix/ed the above you then have the issue of routing.
Which ISP does a particular packet take ? As you are not running a
routing protocol how will it decide ?

[snip]

All serious testing was done with only the WAN2 port connected, so the
routing issue doesn't arise.

However the Vigor routers have a load-balancing GUI so the route that
traffic takes can be managed from that. It can take account of the raw
line speed, and user preferences so for example traffic to your bank's
website always goes through a given route (to avoid the potential
problem of packets within the same session arriving at the bank from
different IP addresses).

--
Graham J

Old November 4th 18, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Did you try using PPPoA for plusnet adsl, not PPPoE? even if you are
using an external modem over ethernet.

PPPoA is not an option available on the WAN2 port of any Vigor router.
'PPP over ATM' relates to the transport mechanism of the modem. The
other parameters you quote also relate to the modem, not the router; and
are configured in the modem itself.

It was just a stab in the dark.

Are you sure the ADSL modem is functional? If not you can get a Draytek
Vigor 120 ADSL modem for very cheap on ebay.
Old November 4th 18, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Alfred wrote:
Did you try using PPPoA for plusnet adsl, not PPPoE? even if you are
using an external modem over ethernet.

PPPoA is not an option available on the WAN2 port of any Vigor router.
'PPP over ATM' relates to the transport mechanism of the modem. The
other parameters you quote also relate to the modem, not the router; and
are configured in the modem itself.

It was just a stab in the dark.

Are you sure the ADSL modem is functional? If not you can get a Draytek
Vigor 120 ADSL modem for very cheap on ebay.

I tried several modems. They all work with WAN2 on the V2830, and the
one that supports VDSL works when connecting to Zen via WAN2 on the V2860.

It is the combination of V2860, its WAN2, and Plusnet that fails.

One of the modems I tried was in fact a V120.

--
Graham J

Old November 4th 18, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 04/11/2018 12:02, Graham J wrote:
[...]

No, I don't think you can draw that conclusion, at least not on the
evidence you have presented to us. See below ...

Has anybody else seen this?

No, but on the evidence given above I think your conclusion is
premature. All you've actually proved is what you have stated above,
that one modem connected to the 2860 WAN2 works while the other does
not, so I'd check the simple things first, which you may have done
already but not told us.

Compare the subnet settings between each modem and the 2860 WAN2.
For the one that works, how is it set up, fixed IPs or DHCP, and is the
one that doesn't work the same, or the other? Make sure that in the
case that doesn't work, the 2860 WAN2 port settings reflect what the
modem is expecting, in other words fixed IP or receive IP via DHCP, as
appropriate.
Old November 4th 18, 05:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

On 04/11/2018 15:45, Graham J wrote:
grinch wrote:
On 04/11/2018 13:13, Alfred wrote:
Vigor 2830

Once/if* you have fix/ed the above you then have the issue of routing.
Which ISP does a particular packet take ? As you are not running a
routing protocol how will it decide ?

[snip]

All serious testing was done with only the WAN2 port connected, so the
routing issue doesn't arise.

However the Vigor routers have a load-balancing GUI so the route that
traffic takes can be managed from that.* It can take account of the raw
line speed, and user preferences so for example traffic to your bank's
website always goes through a given route (to avoid the potential
problem of packets within the same session arriving at the bank from
different IP addresses).

To be honest I don't have that much experience with low end routers,I
work mainly with Cisco and BGP.

If you say it will work I cant argue but I can be 100% certain my
suggestions will work ,because I have tested them.

I would run the Zen FTTC via the modem and pppoe and the plusnet via the
built in modem on pppoa ,that should not be that difficult to get working.
Old November 4th 18, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

grinch wrote:
[...]

Fair comment, but the WAN1 port shows the full modem performance
statistics, whereas the WAN2 port only shows SNR margin and attenuation
if used with a Vigor V130 modem.

So I want to use WAN2 for Plusnet. Given that WAN2 works with Zen, what
is different about Plusnet that WAN2 does not work?

--
Graham J