Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

Old November 7th 18, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

Roderick Stewart wrote:
On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 00:13:54 +0000 (UTC), Alfred
wrote:

BTW the configurability of the plusnet router is awful and cannot be used
as a modem only, so I had to buy an Openreach modem to be able to use
my OpenWrt router.

So now you've got two boxes for internet access instead of one, using
two power sockets and extra wires. But you don't need to accept the
equipment your ISP provides; you can buy your own. There are several
modem/router/wi-fi boxes for domestic use that can manage ADSL or VDSL
and all in one box. You could equip yourself with one of these at any
time of your own choosing, and then if you ever decide to upgrade to
fibre you'll only need to change a few settings on the day that ADSL
stops working. You won't even need to get out of your chair.

I know that.

It's an issue of principle: if Plusnet agreed to supply a router for
only the cost of the postage, then they should do so.

Equally, if Plusnet agreed to regrade the line yesterday, then I expect
them to have done so. Now I know that Plusnet are in the hands of
Openreach to achieve this, so I expect them to monitor Openreach and
send an email when the regrade did not take place, with an explanation
and indication of when it will happen. So far, nothing!

In this specific instance the incoming phone line arrives in the garage
which is where we want the modem. So we have installed a long Ethernet
cable from there to the centre of the house, where there is an existing
router connecting to the modem and providing reasonable wireless coverage.

However, if any of this stops working, we can connect the Plusnet router
in the garage and call them to report the fault.

--
Graham J
Old November 7th 18, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 07/11/2018 07:33, Graham J wrote:
Flyi�g �u� 2��8 + on desktop wrote:

[snip]

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

I've been waiting for it here from December 2012.* That's when our
cabinet was due to be converted.* Since then the date has been put
forwrd in jumps of 3 months, 6months or 12 months. About a year ago it
all changed and instead of a connection date it became "the cabinet is
under review.* The fibre broadband solutions will be explored and we'll
update once done",** so I guess 'Not in my life time'* is a more
appropriate comment.

But in this case the cabinet exists, and other people including myself
are connected through it.

They are still at the mercy of an OpenReach engineer on site to actually
swap over a few links in the exchange. No engineer = nothing happens.

I get the feeling they only do routine scheduled upgrade stuff if there
are no more pressing faults that need to be dealt with immediately.

Hereabouts they break one working line for every three they work on -
the old cables and connectors are that fragile

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 7th 18, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/11/2018 08:11, Graham J wrote:

Equally, if Plusnet agreed to regrade the line yesterday, then I expect
them to have done so.

What do their internal notes say (if anything) ?

Acessed here (once you've logged on to your customer portal)

https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?p=search&view_by=30days&utm_medium=affi liate-mbl&awc=6535_1536239587_ec65e255bd81baf19d1827d3c0 c1a6f6

--
Mark
Old November 7th 18, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Mark Carver wrote:

https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?p=search&view_by=30days&utm_medium=affi liate-mbl&awc=6535_1536239587_ec65e255bd81baf19d1827d3c0 c1a6f6

Oh dear, they seem to have "improved" the whole portal the same way they
"improved" the invoice viewing page :-(

Old November 7th 18, 12:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 + on desktop

Graham J wrote:
Flyi?g ?u? 2??8 + on desktop wrote:

[snip]

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

I've been waiting for it here from December 2012. That's when our
cabinet was due to be converted. Since then the date has been put
forwrd in jumps of 3 months, 6months or 12 months. About a year ago
it all changed and instead of a connection date it became "the
cabinet is under review. The fibre broadband solutions will be
explored and we'll update once done", so I guess 'Not in my life
time' is a more appropriate comment.

But in this case the cabinet exists, and other people including myself
are connected through it.

So does mine but there's no fibre connected to it, even though the
exchange does supply fibre to most of their customers.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 28+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old November 7th 18, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Graham J wrote:
My neighbour Tony has ADSL from Plusnet.* Last Tuesday Tony ordered -
via the Plusnet Member Centre - an upgrade to FTTC.* He received an
acknowlegement email Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:40 PM which
includes the text:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""

We've received your product change request and have now started the
process of moving your products to:

• Broadband package: Unlimited Fibre

• Phone package: Anytime International 300

• Contract: 18 months

• Hardwa Plusnet wireless router

This will change over on 6th November 2018 and your new cost per month
will be 42.98.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""

Tony's router hasn't arrived.* So I've lent him something that with work
with VDSL.

Neither has the service been regraded to FTTC which should have happened
today, before 6pm.* I've monitored it continuously during the day (using
F8Lure) and there has been no break in connection which would normally
occur while the Openreach technician changes the wiring in the nearby
"green cabinet". The router shows that the connection is still ADSL.

Tony has emailed and has received an automated reply
telling him that the mailbox is not monitored.

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

My neighbour Tony rang Plusnet at 7:30 this morning. He waited in a
queue until the line dropped at 8am, then redialled. 20 minutes later
he spoke to a real person.

The regrade is now scheduled for 13 November, and the router should
arrive on that day. So I expect to report next week.

-----------

Meanwhile, another neighbour is trying to get his service from Zen
Internet regraded from ADSL to FTTC. At least I can ring or email Zen
and get sensible information promptly.

The initial regrade failed because of a fault in the installation of the
new cabinet, which required a "multi-skilled engineer" to resolve. Not
one of these available for about 10 days! With the fault apparently
fixed another engineer was sent (as an escalation) to patch the fibre
connection to the customer's copper pair in the cabinet; but this one
failed to bring the correct cabinet key on Saturday. Today an engineer
with the correct key arrives, who rings me before starting work. He
also fails, because the relevant copper pair does not actually go
through the cabinet, despite documentation telling him that it should.
So this is a failure on the part of the original installation contractors!

You couldn't make it up!

--
Graham J

Old November 7th 18, 03:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/11/2018 10:42, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:

https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?p=search&view_by=30days&utm_medium=affi liate-mbl&awc=6535_1536239587_ec65e255bd81baf19d1827d3c0 c1a6f6

Oh dear, they seem to have "improved" the whole portal the same way they
"improved" the invoice viewing page :-(

I know, it's followed a lot of other on line resources, and adopted the
'Chad Valley' look and feel.

--
Mark
Old November 7th 18, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

Default PING BOB PULLEN was Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

On 06/11/2018 21:23, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/11/2018 18:23, Graham J wrote:

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

If you're lucky Bob Pullen will turn up here...

Seems like it's in hand reading Graham's subsequent posts?

Old November 7th 18, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 06/11/2018 21:23, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 06/11/2018 18:23, Graham J wrote:

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

If you're lucky Bob Pullen will turn up here...

Seems like it's in hand reading Graham's subsequent posts?

Well, to the extent that my neighbour Tony has a new regrade date and a
promise of delivery of a router; so nothing different to what was
promised originally. No explanation of the reason for the delay.

The failure to carry out the regrade could be attributed to Openreach;
but if that were the case Plusnet could say so. But the failure to
supply the router must surely be directly attributable to Plusnet. So
it looks to me as if the automated process sent an acknowledgement email
but no real person within Plusnet did anything.

I know from recent experience that Openreach is too understaffed around
here to accept a regrade order for a week hence; the delay is more like
to 10 to 14 days. Indeed, an order with Zen Internet placed on 3
October was completed on 16 October.

So I've no confidence in the advice Tony has been given, and I'm
regretting ever having recommended Plusnet to him in the first place.

Sorry Bob ...

--
Graham J

Old November 8th 18, 12:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

On 07/11/2018 07:35, Mark Carver wrote:
Or join the community forum. Be polite with your posting and someone from PN helpful contacts you on or 'off' list in an hour or so. I've found that to be the best route to get problems resolved

https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

My experience differs. About 2 months ago Plusnet brought in new billing software. I and, from seeing forum postings, a large number of others had problems seeing out bill on-line. It seems to be particularly bad if using Firefox as a browser, which has been perfectly ok for reading Plusnet bills for several years. Nobody seems to have taken the slightest notice of any of the problems that I and others have reported, and after 2 months the bill still does not show up if I use Firefox. Nobody has tried to contact me 'off' list.

--
Clive Page