Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

Old November 8th 18, 02:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Default Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

You could run openWRT *on* the Hub One ...

That's right, the instructions to install OpenWRT are here

https://openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c8cqmpc6c...kDW8Jq88a?dl=0

Looks like a lot of fun.
Old November 8th 18, 02:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Or join the community forum. Be polite with your posting and someone
from PN helpful contacts you on or 'off' list in an hour or so. I've
found that to be the best route to get problems resolved

https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

There's also the plusnet.* hierarchy.

nntp://usenet.plus.net/plusnet.tech.general
nntp://usenet.plus.net/plusnet.service.customer-feedback
Old November 8th 18, 08:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default PING BOB PULLEN was Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

On 07/11/2018 22:43, Graham J wrote:

So I've no confidence in the advice Tony has been given, and I'm
regretting ever having recommended Plusnet to him in the first place.

You pays yer money, and you takes yer choice......

And I say that as a PN customer of 8 years now.

Technical issues, that in my case have all be minor, and were 100% BT
Openreach related have become more difficult to resolve, than they were
in 2010.

You certainly can't pick up and phone and be talking to someone in three
minutes. PN is a mass market ISP now, but IME it's the least worst out
of the others (BT, TalkTalk, Sky, and shudder the utter mupperty that
is Vodafone)

If you want personal service, and to have routers/modems that you like
to manage, it's a case of splashing out more cash, buy the hardware
yourself (yes it will cost more than 6.99), and go to Zen or similar.

--
Mark
Old November 8th 18, 09:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Clive Page wrote:
On 07/11/2018 07:35, Mark Carver wrote:
Or join the community forum. Be polite with your posting and someone
from PN helpful contacts you on or 'off' list in an hour or so. I've
found that to be the best route to get problems resolved

https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

My experience differs.** About 2 months ago Plusnet brought in new
billing software.* I and, from seeing forum postings, a large number of
others had problems seeing our bill on-line.** It seems to be
particularly bad if using Firefox as a browser, which has been perfectly
ok for reading Plusnet bills for several years.* Nobody seems to have
taken the slightest notice of any of the problems that I and others have
reported, and after 2 months the bill still does not show up if I use
Firefox.* Nobody has tried to contact me 'off' list.

Interesting. I use Firefox version 63.0.1 which claims to be
up-to-date. I use the "Business Broadband" product.

I log in. The welcome page has a link to "My bills". Click it.

A page shows "Bills and payments". The last bill amount is a link,
click it. A new browser window opens, which uses Acrobat Reader DC to
display the bill.

However, this invocation of Acrobat Reader DC does not have the menu
bar, so the only print option is the icon near the top right, and this
will print all the pages to the default printer. I can't choose an
alternative installed printer or select fewer than all the pages. No
doubt this depends on the way that Plusnet tell the browser to call
Acrobat, because other web sites I deal with don't have this limitation.

I can of course use the "download" icon to save the bill then choose
which page or printer I require.

At what stage does your browser fail?

--
Graham J
Old November 8th 18, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

I log in.* The welcome page has a link to "My bills". Click it.
A page shows "Bills and payments".

On the home page it it claims my next bill is due on 8th December, if I
go to the bills page it shows my most recent bill is from 8th October,
presumably November is free?

The actual bill download doesn't seem to set a MIME type, just called
"$STANDARD" with no file extension, hence it's not automatically
associated with my PDF viewer.
Old November 8th 18, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Andy Burns wrote:
Graham J wrote:

I log in.* The welcome page has a link to "My bills". Click it. A page
shows "Bills and payments".

On the home page it it claims my next bill is due on 8th December, if I
go to the bills page it shows my most recent bill is from 8th October,
presumably November is free?

The actual bill download doesn't seem to set a MIME type, just called
"$STANDARD" with no file extension, hence it's not automatically
associated with my PDF viewer.

If you try it on a different computer, and a different browser, do you
see the same symptoms?

--
Graham J

Old November 8th 18, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Graham J wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

The actual bill download doesn't seem to set a MIME type, just called
"$STANDARD" with no file extension, hence it's not automatically
associated with my PDF viewer.

If you try it on a different computer, and a different browser, do you
see the same symptoms?

I assume that they assume everyone uses a plug-in or javascript renderer
to view PDF files within the browser, rather than launching an eternal
viewer as I do.

I tried with Chrome and its inbuilt renderer and that worked, when I
told Chrome not to use its renderer it downloaded as $STANDARD.pdf
rather than $STANDARD in firefox, it's no big deal but shows rather thin
testing ...
Old November 8th 18, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
[...]

I think that sums up my experience with PN. They have unfortunately slipped
from "best" to "least worst", but they are still better than BT, TT, Sky
etc. They do actually employ people for whom English is their first/only
language, which is better than *trying* to hold a conversation with someone
who is speaking Indian-accented English and who has the Indian cultural
issues (inability to say "no", so they will tell you that something has been
done even when it hasn't; repeated use of your name at every sentence-end;
insistence on following their script instead of *listening* to what you tell
them when you brief them of what does and doesn't work, and short-circuiting
parts of their script accordingly).

PN don't have these problems (yet?) and it is possible to hold a
conversation of equals, without the strange combination of being clueless
yet patronising that Indian call centres have.

They need to sort out their staffing levels so they can always answer the
phone in a shorter time. Any company that says "don't call at our busiest
times" is really saying "we sometimes don't have enough staff to satisfy the
demand". And that's their problem, not yours - except that the more staff
they employ, the more their service will cost.

Satisfaction level with PN: it used to be 9/10; now it has dropped to about
7 / 10. But to be fair, most of the other big names score about 3/10.

Old November 8th 18, 03:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

You certainly can't pick up and phone and be talking to someone in three
minutes. PN is a mass market ISP now, but IME it's the least worst out
of the others (BT, TalkTalk, Sky, and shudder the utter mupperty that is
Vodafone)

What it makes PN stand out from the others is the fact that they give
a usenet news server. That's truly a feat in 2018. That and the
heroicity of Bob Pullen giving customer support through usenet.
Old November 8th 18, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 08/11/2018 14:09, Alfred wrote:
What it makes PN stand out from the others is the fact that they give
a usenet news server. That's truly a feat in 2018. That and the
heroicity of Bob Pullen giving customer support through usenet.

Absolutely. I used to have Plusnet, and was happy.

Now all I need is the FTTP support - which was in beta last time I looked.

Andy