Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

Old November 6th 18, 07:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Default Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

My neighbour Tony has ADSL from Plusnet. Last Tuesday Tony ordered -
via the Plusnet Member Centre - an upgrade to FTTC. He received an
acknowlegement email Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:40 PM which
includes the text:

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""

We've received your product change request and have now started the
process of moving your products to:

• Broadband package: Unlimited Fibre

• Phone package: Anytime International 300

• Contract: 18 months

• Hardwa Plusnet wireless router

This will change over on 6th November 2018 and your new cost per month
will be 42.98.

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""

Tony's router hasn't arrived. So I've lent him something that with work
with VDSL.

Neither has the service been regraded to FTTC which should have happened
today, before 6pm. I've monitored it continuously during the day (using
F8Lure) and there has been no break in connection which would normally
occur while the Openreach technician changes the wiring in the nearby
"green cabinet". The router shows that the connection is still ADSL.

Tony has emailed and has received an automated reply
telling him that the mailbox is not monitored.

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

--
Graham J
Old November 6th 18, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Graham J wrote:
[...]

I did something similar earlier this year. I also got the wrong date, but I
did get a router well in advance.

Ringing them is the best way. They tend to be pretty good and get things
fixed. However, you may need to wait a while as they are always very busy.

Old November 6th 18, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

Default PING BOB PULLEN was Plusnet regrade from ADSL to FTTC

On 06/11/2018 18:23, Graham J wrote:

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

If you're lucky Bob Pullen will turn up here...

Andy
Old November 7th 18, 12:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 28 + on desktop

Graham J wrote:
[...]

I've been waiting for it here from December 2012. That's when our
cabinet was due to be converted. Since then the date has been put
forwrd in jumps of 3 months, 6months or 12 months. About a year ago it
all changed and instead of a connection date it became "the cabinet is
under review. The fibre broadband solutions will be explored and we'll
update once done", so I guess 'Not in my life time' is a more
appropriate comment.
--
Heard melodies are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 28+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old November 7th 18, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Don't bother in sending emails to plusnet, they disabled the email
customer service for residential customers. You need ot use the phone
(and wait one hour) or try to raise a ticket through the web.

In my case the router arrived very early, in less than one week. I didn't
bother plugging it in while the ADSL was still working.

Three weeks after I got the router in the post, the ADSL router
stopped working, and I had to plug the Plusnet router. At that point
VDSL was working fine.

BTW the configurability of the plusnet router is awful and cannot be used
as a modem only, so I had to buy an Openreach modem to be able to use
my OpenWrt router.
Old November 7th 18, 08:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Flyi�g �u� 2��8 + on desktop wrote:

[snip]

Is this par for the course for Plusnet?

I've been waiting for it here from December 2012. That's when our
cabinet was due to be converted. Since then the date has been put
forwrd in jumps of 3 months, 6months or 12 months. About a year ago it
all changed and instead of a connection date it became "the cabinet is
under review. The fibre broadband solutions will be explored and we'll
update once done", so I guess 'Not in my life time' is a more
appropriate comment.

But in this case the cabinet exists, and other people including myself
are connected through it.

--
Graham J

Old November 7th 18, 08:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 07/11/2018 00:13, Alfred wrote:

BTW the configurability of the plusnet router is awful and cannot be used
as a modem only, so I had to buy an Openreach modem to be able to use
my OpenWrt router.

Or join the community forum. Be polite with your posting and someone
from PN helpful contacts you on or 'off' list in an hour or so. I've
found that to be the best route to get problems resolved

https://community.plus.net/t5/Forum/ct-p/Forum

--
Mark
Old November 7th 18, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Alfred wrote:

[snip]

BTW the configurability of the plusnet router is awful and cannot be used
as a modem only, so I had to buy an Openreach modem to be able to use
my OpenWrt router.

That's worth knowing, thanks; since the user will need a VDSL modem in
order to work with his existing router.

--
Graham J
Old November 7th 18, 08:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Alfred wrote:

the configurability of the plusnet router is awful and cannot be used
as a modem only, so I had to buy an Openreach modem to be able to use
my OpenWrt router.

You could run openWRT *on* the Hub One ...
Old November 7th 18, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018 00:13:54 +0000 (UTC), Alfred
wrote:

BTW the configurability of the plusnet router is awful and cannot be used
as a modem only, so I had to buy an Openreach modem to be able to use
my OpenWrt router.

So now you've got two boxes for internet access instead of one, using
two power sockets and extra wires. But you don't need to accept the
equipment your ISP provides; you can buy your own. There are several
modem/router/wi-fi boxes for domestic use that can manage ADSL or VDSL
and all in one box. You could equip yourself with one of these at any
time of your own choosing, and then if you ever decide to upgrade to
fibre you'll only need to change a few settings on the day that ADSL
stops working. You won't even need to get out of your chair.

Rod.

---