5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three

Old November 19th 18, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default 5G will let users ditch fixed-line home broadband, says Three

On 19/11/2018 10:32, Chris in Makati wrote:

On Mon, 19 Nov 2018 09:17:05 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

* Cost

By using mobile phone technology, they're using off-the-shelf technology
and modifying it to their requirements. This is much cheaper and more
reliable than developing a bespoke technology from scratch.

I wasn't suggesting there should be any development of new technology.
In fact quite the opposite. I said there were more solutions already
available than just using public mobile networks.

I suggest that you read the government announcement that I've already
linked.

* Coverage

While coverage is a problem, solving it will also help mobile phone
users in remote locations, thus killing two birds with one stone.

Will it?

Just because they're using 4G doesn't necessarily mean the network
will be available for public use. I haven't read anything that says
the general public will have access to their network.

AIUI, they are basing it on off-the-shelf 4G, the network for which they
are paying to have extended into remote areas. While the emergency
services will have priority, in normal non-emergency situations citizens
will be able to use the network the same as they already do now.
Elsewhere I've posted about a new mast in our neighbourhood constructed
as part of the emergency services rollout, which we managed to get moved
from its original intended location in the middle of a much photographed
view, and here at home my mobile now locks onto to that, rather than the
more distant one that it did before.
Old November 19th 18, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Chris

Tweed wrote:
Java Jive wrote:
On 18/11/2018 13:22, Tweed wrote:

I can't remember who on this thread is struggling with coverage, but I
think you were on Vodafone. Would O2 be any better, or are you one of the
unlucky 2/5%?

No, t'weren't me. I'm on Virgin (EE). My gripe is the lack of decent
data plans at an affordable price that would allow me to discontinue my
land line.

I doubt that will ever be the case. Mobile broadband uses a scarce resource
(spectrum) so it gets rationed by price. Even 5G, which improves capacity
by beam forming (ie spatially) and by going up in frequency (ie more cell
sites) is only reckoned to increase capacity by 3 to 5 times according to
Three. Heavy users aren't really wanted by the mobile networks. Users who
contract to largish chunk of data each month but don't use much of it are
the ideal customer. Whenever the marketing folk have triumphed over reality
and an unlimited plan has been put in the market it only seems to last a
short while before it either gets withdrawn or heavily restricted. Three
will do 40Gb for 23/month, but they seem reluctant to offer capacities
beyond that.

Which is nowhere near enough for many households. We'd use that up in a
week!

Landline internet is here to stay.

Old November 19th 18, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 18 November 2018 14:23:21 UTC, Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd wrote:
I understand correctly.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ency-services-
mobile-communications-programme/emergency-services-network

Sanitised version, not mentioning massive delays and cost overruns.

https://publictechnology.net/article...es-network-pro
ject-draining-%C2%A3330m-year-police-budget

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/1...k_delays_1_bil
lion/

The existing Airwave system needs to run for three or more years at massive
cost, due to poor 4G coverage compared to Airwave.

The police will even have to deploy lots of mobile base stations to cover
incidents with poor or no 4G coverage. And probably satellite phones.

Angus

Indeed - now under 1k and 30/month, although look similar in size and weight to my 1986 Technophone.

There seems to be an assumption that current police radios get universal coverage - I doubt they do.
Old November 19th 18, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 19/11/2018 14:01, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

There seems to be an assumption that current police radios get universal coverage - I doubt they do.

ISTR reading somewhere they supposedly have 98% of the UK land mass
coverage, rather than 98% of the population, as is often quoted for the
mobile networks. However I've never had access to one to check..!

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 19th 18, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 19/11/2018 08:53, Chris in Makati wrote:

But, AIUI, the simple fact is, they haven't, they've chosen 4G.

You asked if I was saying they shouldn't be able to communicate. Now
you say it's their choice to use a system that may not be suitable. If
it's their choice then it's not something that's forced on them.

It's more than likely that the choice was made by the accountants and
holders of the purse-strings rather than the operational officers, who
simply want a system that works.

--
Ria in Aberdeen