ADSL over FTTP

Old November 14th 18, 01:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

Default ADSL over FTTP

On 14/11/2018 12:37, Alfred wrote:
Sorry, I have not been clear in my last message.

I see that OpenReach and other small companies are building their own
FTTP networks (I guess mostly in newly built high rises).

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nvestment.html

It's not just high rise towers, it's most (if not all now) new housing
developments. Everything from council housing, to posh 8 bed dwelling
housing estates.

It's up to the developer to choose which fibre infrastructure teLco
installs the network. There's handful of other companies that
install FTTP networks on developments, and they offer a handful
of resellers you can choose to have a broadband service with.

Reading some of the threads in the ThinkBroadband Forum, if you do
move into a new dwelling, back sure it has a BT Openreach provided
FTTP system !

--
Mark
Old November 14th 18, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
7[_2_]

On 14/11/2018 02:13, Theo wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what is available on a FTTP line.

No such thing as ADSL over FTTP.

What you got is fiber to a 50,000 cabinet that multiplexes
100+ telephone, TV and Internet lines to ONE FIBER
slowing everyone down.

The remaining fibers are sold between 8000 to 100,000
because BT (Britich Telecum) thick shiites added with fake
accounting the 50,000 cabinet and all the analogue lines
to work out the price the remaining fibers.

The remaining fiber is worth exactly 150 install charge
and 30 a month for 1gbit fiber link if say they used
several hundred cores. So no they didn't, they installed
4 or 5 fibers even though 96 core is $2 per meter.

But in order to lie to goverment, treasury, DCMS and offcum,
they use the fake price per cable instead of the real price.
Minimum 1500 per fiber.

A 3456 core fiber cable is 1.5" in diameter could have
been laid instead and would have paid for itself in
under 2 years at 30 per 1gbit symmetric fiber connection
to the home and install charge of 150 per connection.

Old November 14th 18, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Alfred wrote:
My question is, are there any resellers of those FTTP 'real fiber' networks?
Does Virgin allow resellers?

IFNL, now called OFNL, have a handful of resellers:
https://www.ofnl.co.uk/availableisps

But it's a complete mess of a patchwork of different infrastructure
providers and different ISPs - and it's something that people who move into
new properties don't realise how limited their options are.

Theo
Old November 14th 18, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 14/11/2018 08:30, Mark Carver wrote:

There are currently only 7 ISPs (including BT Retail) that offer FTTC
connections.

ITYM FTTP ...
Old November 15th 18, 08:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 14/11/2018 21:06, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 14/11/2018 08:30, Mark Carver wrote:

There are currently only 7 ISPs (including BT Retail) that offer FTTC
connections.

ITYM FTTP ...

Well spotted !

--
Mark
Old November 23rd 18, 06:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
+++ATH0

On 2018-11-14 05:05, 7 wrote:

A 3456 core fiber cable is 1.5" in diameter could have
been laid instead and would have paid for itself in
under 2 years at 30 per 1gbit symmetric fiber connection
to the home and install charge of 150 per connection.

Apart from the fact you can't buy more than about 1Mbps CIR for your
1Gbps bearer after the cost of providing the infrastructure is accounted
for, unless you are running a loss leader.
Old November 24th 18, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

Please don't reply to the village idiot ,in those 4 lines he proves he
knows nothing about telecoms and even less about business.He regularly
posts his totally uninformed drivel.

Also in reply to the topic of this tread, I read the BT sin on FTTP and
they present it as Ethernet, so how/why you would want to try to get
adsl working over it is beyond me.

Obviously you can get a PPP session working over it and therefore it
would work as as any other home internet connection.

As it runs over Ethernet I am not sure you could call it broadband in
the correct use of that term ,others may know better than me. I cant be
bothered to research the layer 1 and 2 details for Ethernet.

Old November 25th 18, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

grinch wrote:
Also in reply to the topic of this tread, I read the BT sin on FTTP and
they present it as Ethernet, so how/why you would want to try to get
adsl working over it is beyond me.

Not the analogue side of ADSL, but paying the price of a 17Mbps package from
the usual suspects (Sky, Plusnet, TalkTalk etc) rather than 40/80/300Mbps
package. A lot of people don't need much bandwidth, and if their new-build
only comes with FTTP they're stuck paying more than someone who just has
copper.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...bre-buy-it-now
is the list of FTTP providers, by the way. The cheapest seems to be
Spectrum, at 25 pounds per month isn't as bad as BT but it's still about
double the deals you get from Sky etc on copper.

Theo
Old November 25th 18, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Theo wrote:
grinch wrote:
Also in reply to the topic of this tread, I read the BT sin on FTTP and
they present it as Ethernet, so how/why you would want to try to get
adsl working over it is beyond me.

Not the analogue side of ADSL, but paying the price of a 17Mbps package from
the usual suspects (Sky, Plusnet, TalkTalk etc) rather than 40/80/300Mbps
package. A lot of people don't need much bandwidth, and if their new-build
only comes with FTTP they're stuck paying more than someone who just has
copper.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...bre-buy-it-now
is the list of FTTP providers, by the way. The cheapest seems to be
Spectrum, at 25 pounds per month isn't as bad as BT but it's still about
double the deals you get from Sky etc on copper.

Appart from money there may be more reasons to choose DSL sometimes.

In my experience with FTTP providers overseas in the US, I have seen
horrible things, like putting customers behind a NAT, and having to
call the customer service to open a port. In that case it wasn't the
cable-modem, the appartment had an ethernet socket, so you just used
your own router with DHCP.

In the European continent, interesting things also happen, like using
the cheapest network carrier companies to connect their networks to
the internet, which results in ping times worser than ADSL, even in
the bandwidth they give is much higher than ADSL. Also giving faulty
integrated cable-modem routers, that give high bandwidth when they
work as modem-routers, but when you make them work as modem give lower
bandwidth.

In the UK I never had the chance to try FTTP providers, but there must
be a lot of interesting stories to tell.

FTTP is not a panacea. Do not expect it to fix all your internet
connection problems.
Old November 25th 18, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 24/11/2018 14:15, grinch wrote:
Please don't reply to the village idiot ,in those 4 lines he proves he
knows nothing about telecoms and even less about business.He regularly
posts his totally uninformed drivel.

At least he knows not to top post.

Also in reply to the topic of this tread, I read the BT sin on FTTP and
they present it as Ethernet,* so* how/why you would want to try to get
adsl working over it is beyond me.

With you there.
Obviously you can get a PPP session working over it and therefore it
would work as as any other home internet connection.

Why would you want to do that?

As it runs over Ethernet I am not sure you could call it broadband in
the correct use of that term ,others may know better than me. I cant be
bothered to research the layer 1 and 2 details for Ethernet.

It doesn't run over Ethernet, it runs over GPON and I've never bothered
to look at what the protocol is. There's a fibre modem, and what comes
out of that is cat5(ish) running TCP/IP (4 and 6) over Ethernet.

BT provide a second box, which is a standard ADSL modem/router - but the
ADSL is turned off. It's connected to the fibre modem over Ethernet, And
I think it does all the firewall work as well ad being an Ethernet
switch and an WiFi hub.

Andy