ADSL over FTTP

Old November 14th 18, 03:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo[_2_]

Default ADSL over FTTP

I'm trying to figure out what is available on a FTTP line.
It's an almost-new-build property which currently has BT FTTP.
Magsys Codelook says for the postcode:

"FTTC Available from 11th January 2017, being expanded by March 2019, FTTP
from 25th July 2016, FTTP on Demand."

However the address doesn't show on some checkers and the phone number isn't
recognised. Confusingly, around the corner is a site wired by IFNL - but I
don't think this one is. So I suppose it's Openreach FTTP, but I'm not 100%.
(Some checkers accept postcode+number, but I'm not clear if they're giving
results based on postcode alone)

I thought there was a way to get regular ADSL packages (24Mb) over FTTP
plant? Is this general, or is it specific to particular providers? Can you
just order up ADSL from whoever and Openreach will just run it over fibre
not copper?

In which case, how does it work with modems? Will the new ISP send you a
FTTP modem (if the existing BT one can't be repurposed)?

Thanks
Theo
Old November 14th 18, 04:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Theo wrote:

I thought there was a way to get regular ADSL packages (24Mb) over FTTP
plant? Is this general, or is it specific to particular providers? Can you
just order up ADSL from whoever and Openreach will just run it over fibre
not copper?

If the ISP supports FTTP (not all do) you can pay a price equal to the
VDSL price and get capped VDSL speeds (i.e. 40/10 or 80/20) rather than
ponying up for the full 330/30 which you may not require.

In which case, how does it work with modems?

FTTP gets an ONT rather than a modem

https://youtu.be/1-6LKAPlEyk
Old November 14th 18, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 14/11/2018 03:29, Andy Burns wrote:
Theo wrote:

I thought there was a way to get regular ADSL packages (24Mb) over FTTP
plant?* Is this general, or is it specific to particular providers?
Can you
just order up ADSL from whoever and Openreach will just run it over fibre
not copper?

If the ISP supports FTTP (not all do) you can pay a price equal to the
VDSL price and get capped VDSL speeds (i.e. 40/10 or 80/20) rather than
ponying up for the full 330/30 which you may not require.

There are currently only 7 ISPs (including BT Retail) that offer FTTC
connections. The only one that offers 'consumer' pricing is BT. Next
cheapest are Zen I think

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...bre-buy-it-now

Plusnet were running a trial for existing customers, but that's ceased,
and they seen tight lipped regarding launching a package.

--
Mark
Old November 14th 18, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Mark Carver wrote:

There are currently only 7 ISPs (including BT Retail) that offer FTTC

Didn't realise it was that few

Theoretically I can have FTTPoD here, god knows what the price would be,
I have a Virgin FTTH duct 6" away from my wall but I'm not bothered
about signing up with them, 80/20 FTTC is fine for me.
Old November 14th 18, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

In which case, how does it work with modems? Will the new ISP send you a
FTTP modem (if the existing BT one can't be repurposed)?

To be precise, most ISPs just send cheap integrated modem-routers that
are impossible to configure to work as modem only.
Old November 14th 18, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

There are currently only 7 ISPs (including BT Retail) that offer FTTC
connections. The only one that offers 'consumer' pricing is BT. Next
cheapest are Zen I think

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...bre-buy-it-now

Plusnet were running a trial for existing customers, but that's ceased,
and they seen tight lipped regarding launching a package.

I have now Plusnet 45/15Mbps FTTC (VDSL) at home. They use the BT netnork.
What was what Plusnet was trialing?
Old November 14th 18, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Alfred wrote:

I have now Plusnet 45/15Mbps FTTC (VDSL) at home. They use the BT netnork.
What was what Plusnet was trialing?

The trial is/was FTTP.

Old November 14th 18, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

I have now Plusnet 45/15Mbps FTTC (VDSL) at home. They use the BT netnork.
What was what Plusnet was trialing?

The trial is/was FTTP.

Now I see, you mean FTTPoD.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...in-demand.html

BTW, is there a way to get residential 'real fiber' through another
company that is not Virgin?

Either resellers of the Virgin network or somebody having their own
network for residential customers.
Old November 14th 18, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 14/11/2018 12:17, Alfred wrote:
I have now Plusnet 45/15Mbps FTTC (VDSL) at home. They use the BT netnork.
What was what Plusnet was trialing?

The trial is/was FTTP.

Now I see, you mean FTTPoD.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...in-demand.html

BTW, is there a way to get residential 'real fiber' through another
company that is not Virgin?

Well yes, (apart from FTTP-oD) BT Openreach provided FTTP, mostly new
build housing of course.

My lad has it in a new build flat he moved into a year ago. It's really
depressing to stand in the road and see about 20 domestic BT hub WiFi
SSIDs. (At least I've given him a non BT hub, and set an original SSID)

At a consumer level pricing etc, the realistic choice is only BT Retail
(it's the same price as their FTTC 'Infinity' packages), and no you
can't get a 'up to 17 Megs 'ADSL' style package, which if you only
require broadband for light tablet/phone use (like my mother uses for
instance), is a PITA.

Sky, TalkTalk, and now PlusNet seem to have no burning desire to offer
FTTP packages (apparently the provision method with BT is very different
to ADSL/FTTC, so it's a staff training cost vs income thing)

--
Mark
Old November 14th 18, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alfred[_2_]

Sorry, I have not been clear in my last message.

I see that OpenReach and other small companies are building their own
FTTP networks (I guess mostly in newly built high rises).

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nvestment.html

My question is, are there any resellers of those FTTP 'real fiber' networks?
Does Virgin allow resellers?