WiFi conundrum - what's this MAC address from?

Old November 18th 18, 07:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Default WiFi conundrum - what's this MAC address from?

I have a Draytek 2860n as my main (VDSL) router and an old 2820n being
used as a wireless access point to extend coverage as we have a large
house. The 2820n has its WANs turned off and has a wired connection
from its LAN side to the 2860n LAN. It's all running on the usual
192.168.1.x LAN subnet.

I have the 2860n set to use channel 11 for WiFi and the 2820n is set
to use channel 6 (there are a couple of routers across the road using
channel 1). We're out in the sticks so there's not much WiFi
'visible'.

When I look at the routers' "Access Point List" in the web
configuration I see a strange entry with an odd, unidentifiable, MAC
address.

On the 2860n I see:-

Index BSSID Channel RSSI SSID Authentication
1 B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 11 68% WPA2/PSK
2 00:50:7F:8B:35:43 6 68% ISBD WPA2/PSK
3 00:50:7F:8B:35:40 6 68% 2860n WPA2/PSK
4 0A5:9D:8A:E0:63 1 23% BT-WiFi-with-FON NONE
5 C4:71:30:3E:63:4D 1 26% FON_FREE_INTERNET NONE
6 C4:71:30:3E:63:4C 1 26% Newbourne-FON WPA2/PSK

On the 2820n I see:-

BSSID Channel SSID
0A:1D:AA:C3:9B:E0 11 ISBD
00:1D:AA:C3:9B:E0 11 2860n
B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 11
0A5:9D:8A:E0:63 1 BT-WiFi-with-FON
C4:71:30:3E:63:4D 1 FON_FREE_INTERNET
C4:71:30:3E:63:4C 1 Newbourne-FON

So what's that B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 MAC address? It doesn't appear to be
registered as belonging to any manufacturer, from the 2820n's point of
view it looks as if it might be coming from the 2860n but from the
2860n it's anyone's guess where it's from. Using a simple WiFi
scanner app on an Android tablet doesn't show it up at all. Are the
two Draytek's creating a 'virtual' WiFi signal - or what?

--
Chris Green

Old November 18th 18, 07:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Typical! Almost immediately after posting this I worked out what it
is. It's a Vtech Baby Alarm, I just turned off the 'sender' in our
grandson's room and B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 has disappeared.

I wonder why the MAC address isn't registered.

--
Chris Green

Old November 18th 18, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

No, scrub that, the B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 seems to have come back even
though the baby alarm is off. It initially seemed to be the source
but now it would appear not. The B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 channel number
moves about though, between 11 and 6 and back, I'm not quite sure when
or why though.

--
Chris Green

Old November 18th 18, 08:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

My 2860n shows the IP address of relating to each MAC address in the
"Station List" - can yours do that? (General tab?)

Does the IP address help?

Does the DHCP table show anything in the HOST ID column relating to this
strange MAC address?

Is there a very similar MAC address (differing only in the least
significant digit) in the DHCP table? This might give a clue to the
manufacturer or device ....

On each router in turn, what does "AP Discovery" show? Does the strange
MAC address appear there?

If you power off the 2820n does the 2860n continue to show that MAC even
after the display is refreshed?

Conversely, power of the 2860n and see what the 2820n shows.

For each router, what wireless mode is configured?

On the 2860n, how many SSIDs are active? Ditto 2820n?

--
Graham J

Old November 18th 18, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On 18/11/2018 19:10, Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Mobile phone?

Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old November 18th 18, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Graham J wrote:
Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Ah, but the entries in the "station list" are WiFi clients aren't
they? That's what they appear to be on my 2860n. The entries in the
"Access Point List" are WiFi signals that the 2860n can 'see' when it
scans.

Does the IP address help?

Does the DHCP table show anything in the HOST ID column relating to this
strange MAC address?

Is there a very similar MAC address (differing only in the least
significant digit) in the DHCP table? This might give a clue to the
manufacturer or device ....

I'm not using the 2860n's DHCP for the 192.168.1.x LAN and there's
nothing very similar looking on the other LAN I'm using (where it is
the 2860n's DHCP).

On each router in turn, what does "AP Discovery" show? Does the strange
MAC address appear there?

Yes, this is what I've listed above. It's called "AP Discovery" in
the menu but "Access Point List" when you open it.

If you power off the 2820n does the 2860n continue to show that MAC even
after the display is refreshed?

Conversely, power of the 2860n and see what the 2820n shows.

Yes, it stays there in both cases, just swaps about from channel 11 to
channel 6 and back.

For each router, what wireless mode is configured?

Mixed (11g + 11n), if that's what you mean.

On the 2860n, how many SSIDs are active? Ditto 2820n?

There's two on each, the one's you can see above, ISBD and 2860n.

--
Chris Green

Old November 18th 18, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 18/11/2018 18:35, Chris Green wrote:

So what's that B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 MAC address? It doesn't appear to be
registered as belonging to any manufacturer, from the 2820n's point of
view it looks as if it might be coming from the 2860n

So test that - what happens if you temporarily disable the WiFi on the
2860n, connecting your PC to the 2820n via a cable if necessary, then
try switching off the WiFi on the 2820n (or the whole unit), and connect
to the 2860n via cable?

but from the
2860n it's anyone's guess where it's from. Using a simple WiFi
scanner app on an Android tablet doesn't show it up at all. Are the
two Draytek's creating a 'virtual' WiFi signal - or what?

My guess is that its a local router with its SSID hidden, giving out a
signal that's too weak for your mobile to pick up (you could try to find
it by taking the mobile out into the road), and ...

On 18/11/2018 19:10, Chris Green wrote: The B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 channel
number
moves about though, between 11 and 6 and back

.... its channel selection is set to auto.

But to be sure that it's not you, check that all your other kit in the
house is turned off first, and especially that mobiles and tablets
aren't set up to be WiFi tethering APs.
Old November 18th 18, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 18/11/2018 18:35, Chris Green wrote:
2 00:50:7F:8B:35:43 6 68% ISBD WPA2/PSK
3 00:50:7F:8B:35:40 6 68% 2860n WPA2/PSK

0A:1D:AA:C3:9B:E0 11 ISBD
00:1D:AA:C3:9B:E0 11 2860n

BTW, it's not relevant to your problem as such, but to cover a building
as you're trying to do, you ought to have both SSIDs the same, with the
same password, so that mobiles, tablets, laptops, etc, can move about
the building without losing connection.
Old November 18th 18, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J[_2_]

Chris Green wrote:

[snip]

My 2860n shows the IP address of relating to each MAC address in the
"Station List" - can yours do that? (General tab?)

Ah, but the entries in the "station list" are WiFi clients aren't
they? That's what they appear to be on my 2860n. The entries in the
"Access Point List" are WiFi signals that the 2860n can 'see' when it
scans.

OK I misunderstood your original post. Sorry.

[snip irrelevant questions]

I'm not using the 2860n's DHCP for the 192.168.1.x LAN and there's
nothing very similar looking on the other LAN I'm using (where it is
the 2860n's DHCP).

I know this isn't relevant now, but the DHCP server on your 2860n will
show all the client devices, regardless of where in the LAN they are
physically connected. So if there are similar-looking MAC addresses
they would show up.

On each router in turn, what does "AP Discovery" show? Does the strange
MAC address appear there?

Yes, this is what I've listed above. It's called "AP Discovery" in
the menu but "Access Point List" when you open it.

If you power off the 2820n does the 2860n continue to show that MAC even
after the display is refreshed?

Conversely, power of the 2860n and see what the 2820n shows.

Yes, it stays there in both cases, just swaps about from channel 11 to
channel 6 and back.

For each router, what wireless mode is configured?

Mixed (11g + 11n), if that's what you mean.

OK mode 11n ofers higher performance and generally issues two wireless
channels to achieve 40MHz bandwidth rather than 20MHz. The second
channel may be associated with a different MAC address

On the 2860n, how many SSIDs are active? Ditto 2820n?

There's two on each, the one's you can see above, ISBD and 2860n.

What is the SSID named ISBD for, and can you turn it off?

Have you another router (or borrow one) that you can use to scan for
Access Points? If so, does that show this strange MAC? And when both
the 2860n and 2820n are powered off?

--
Graham J

Old November 18th 18, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Humphrey

Chris Green wrote:
So what's that B2:FC:0D:86:71:34 MAC address? It doesn't appear to be
registered as belonging to any manufacturer, from the 2820n's point of
view it looks as if it might be coming from the 2860n but from the
2860n it's anyone's guess where it's from. Using a simple WiFi
scanner app on an Android tablet doesn't show it up at all. Are the
two Draytek's creating a 'virtual' WiFi signal - or what?

Well I can tell you why it's not registered - the "locally administered"
bit is set. So this isn't a "universally administered" address that
would appear in the manufacturer list, it's been manually configured (or
generated by software locally).
B0:FC:0D is registered to Amazon - do you (or your neighbours) have an
Amazon device?

Mike