SOT -

Old November 21st 18, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default SOT - RBS customer lost thousands of pounds in scam

On 21/11/2018 19:36, NY wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
news

Don't you have any Post Offices up your way Mac, or are they different
in Scottishland?

Will a post office accept as a branch of a bank (NatWest, Barclays etc)
to allow you to pay in a cheque so it will be credited to your bank
account?

They wouldn't accept mine for my bank (which for security reasons I do
not intend to name) - there was some problem with not having the right
sort of envelope when I tried.

I thought I was hard done-by to have to travel 20 miles to a town which
still has a NatWest bank, but in the Highlands it sounds to be much
worse if it's 75 or 100 miles to the nearest bank.

There are other banks closer by. There used to be an RBS branch in
Lairg, but it's been replaced by their mobile banking service which
comes and sits in the car park two or three days a week. There are
various branches of various banks in Tain, Dingwall, Inverness, etc,
but, particularly disappointing wrt Inverness, not a branch of my bank.
As Inverness is generally thought of as 'The capital of the Highlands',
WTF is their branch in Nairn?

But, more generally, I think it ought to made mandatory for all UK banks
to accept all cheques on other UK banks and process or transfer them at
no cost - after all, the costs will presumably balance out in the long
run. If they can do it with cash machines, why not paying in cheques?
Old November 21st 18, 10:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 21/11/2018 19:51, Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

paying in a cheque *still* requires the piece of paper to be
transported to the branch, either by taking it yourself or by posting it.

My bank's android app allows you to take a photo of cheques (up to 500)
to pay them in.

I think Halifax has or is implementing that, but not sure, I'll have to
check. Fortunately, I still have a branch within walking distance (oh
bugger that's the kiss of death on it..!)

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 21st 18, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 11/21/2018 3:44 PM, Java Jive wrote:

There are other banks closer by.* There used to be an RBS branch in
Lairg, but it's been replaced by their mobile banking service which
comes and sits in the car park two or three days a week.

That was a Bank of Scotland, not a _Royal_ Bank of Scotland. I
frequently used their ATM when I came up on the train.

My nearest bank (RBS) is in Tongue, but it's closing next month - they
never bothered to install an ATM, but it was still handy to have a
proper bank. Now I have to go to Thurso or Inverness for an ATM or a bank.
Old November 21st 18, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Recliner[_3_]

Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

paying in a cheque *still* requires the piece of paper to be transported
to the branch, either by taking it yourself or by posting it.

My bank's android app allows you to take a photo of cheques (up to 500)
to pay them in.

Yes, my HSBC mobile banking app will scan and pay in cheques. I think the
daily limit is 750. It works on both iOS and Android.

For some odd reason, you have to take pictures of both the front (and
generally blank) rear of the cheque. It took me a little while to figure
out how to correctly frame the cheque, but I now find it far more
convenient than going to my physical branch less than two miles away.

So I now have almost no remaining reasons to visit my bank branch.

Old November 22nd 18, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB[_2_]

On 21/11/2018 21:41, S Viemeister wrote:
My nearest bank (RBS) is in Tongue, but it's closing next month - they
never bothered to install an ATM, but it was still handy to have a
proper bank. Now I have to go to Thurso or Inverness for an ATM or a bank.

Don't the mobile banks venture into that area?

Can't cheques be paid in at any bank or even places like Post Offices or
do they make a charge?

Old November 22nd 18, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 22/11/2018 09:22, MB wrote:

Can't cheques be paid in at any bank

No, and it's a f*king absurdity

or even places like Post Offices

Apparently the PO *is* supposed to be able to do this, but, as
previously explained, when I tried, they said that they hadn't got the
correct form or envelope for my bank.

or
do they make a charge?

I don't see why they should need to charge, but the banks won't even
accept each others' cheques *with* a charge!
Old November 22nd 18, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 19:51:09 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

paying in a cheque *still* requires the piece of paper to be transported
to the branch, either by taking it yourself or by posting it.

My bank's android app allows you to take a photo of cheques (up to 500)
to pay them in.

What do you do with the physical cheque after you've done this? If you
destroy it immediately there's a risk that if the electronic procedure
goes wrong you've got no proof that you ever had the money, and if you
keep it there's nothing to stop you (or someone else) trying to pay it
in again somewhere else. Do you just keep it until you have electronic
confirmation via your online login, or are you obliged to post the
cheque to your bank so that they can confirm it for themselves later?
If the latter, what happens if the cheque goes astray in the post?

Somehow this reminds me of the question of how that popular sci-fi
device, the teleporter, would work. A machine scans you, atom by atom
at one location, and another machine creates a copy, atom by atom,
somewhere else. At some point the original (you) will have to be
destroyed, otherwise it will have been a duplication process rather
than a method of transport, but even if the copy is a perfect replica
with all your memories, what has happened to the version of you that
went into the transmitter? Would you ever consider using one?

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old November 22nd 18, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 22/11/2018 10:14, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Somehow this reminds me of the question of how that popular sci-fi
device, the teleporter, would work. A machine scans you, atom by atom
at one location, and another machine creates a copy, atom by atom,
somewhere else. At some point the original (you) will have to be
destroyed, otherwise it will have been a duplication process rather
than a method of transport, but even if the copy is a perfect replica
with all your memories, what has happened to the version of you that
went into the transmitter? Would you ever consider using one?

And you can't create the copy of yourself from energy in the form of
radiation without creating an anti-copy of yourself, and what happens to
that? And how do you prevent the anti-copy and the copy ever meeting,
resulting in a massive explosion, and thus no more you?

I remember pointing this out to a fellow physics A-level student who was
a fan of Star Trek, and thought teleporting was a really cool idea.
After some argument, he admitted: "Yeah! You're right! Oh f*k! That's
completely ruined it for me now!"
Old November 22nd 18, 11:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

My bank's android app allows you to take a photo of cheques (up to 500)
to pay them in.

What do you do with the physical cheque after you've done this?

I tend to write "paid by app dd/mm/yyyy" on the back, mainly so I don't
find it later and try to pay it in again.

are you obliged to post the
cheque to your bank so that they can confirm it for themselves later?

No.

Old November 22nd 18, 12:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 22/11/2018 09:22, MB wrote:
On 21/11/2018 21:41, S Viemeister wrote:
My nearest bank (RBS) is in Tongue, but it's closing next month - they
never bothered to install an ATM, but it was still handy to have a
proper bank. Now I have to go to Thurso or Inverness for an ATM or a
bank.

Don't the mobile banks venture into that area?

Not where I live.

Can't cheques be paid in at any bank or even places like Post Offices or
do they make a charge?

Bank branches will refuse to do lots of things if you don't actually
have an account with them. The PO are slightly more forgiving if you can
afford to queue for 40 minutes or so every time you want to do anything.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown