SOT -

Old November 22nd 18, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default SOT - RBS customer lost thousands of pounds in scam

On 21/11/2018 21:41, S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/21/2018 3:44 PM, Java Jive wrote:

There are other banks closer by.* There used to be an RBS branch in
Lairg, but it's been replaced by their mobile banking service which
comes and sits in the car park two or three days a week.

That was a Bank of Scotland, not a _Royal_ Bank of Scotland. I
frequently used their ATM when I came up on the train.

You're probably right, I'm always getting them confused.

My nearest bank (RBS) is in Tongue, but it's closing next month - they
never bothered to install an ATM, but it was still handy to have a
proper bank. Now I have to go to Thurso or Inverness for an ATM or a bank.

If you're passing through ...
Asda checkout in Tain offers cashback (no charge)
Outside Tesco in Dingwall (no charge)
Inside Spar at Lairg (can't remember if it deducts a charge)
Skiach services between Evanton and Alness (AFAICR charges)
Old November 22nd 18, 12:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Henson[_2_]

On 22/11/2018 11.30 am, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/11/2018 09:22, MB wrote:
On 21/11/2018 21:41, S Viemeister wrote:
My nearest bank (RBS) is in Tongue, but it's closing next month - they
never bothered to install an ATM, but it was still handy to have a
proper bank. Now I have to go to Thurso or Inverness for an ATM or a
bank.

Don't the mobile banks venture into that area?

Not where I live.

Can't cheques be paid in at any bank or even places like Post Offices or
do they make a charge?

Bank branches will refuse to do lots of things if you don't actually
have an account with them. The PO are slightly more forgiving if you can
afford to queue for 40 minutes or so every time you want to do anything.

Or, indeed, if you are one of the lucky people who has either a Bank or
a Post Office anywhere within ten or twenty miles these days.

--

Tetbury, Gloucestershire, UK
Old November 22nd 18, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 22/11/2018 11:46, Bob Henson wrote:

Or, indeed, if you are one of the lucky people who has either a Bank or
a Post Office anywhere within ten or twenty miles these days.

We have a PO in the neighbouring village.

You could be forgiven for mistaking it for a garden shed - because that
is *exactly* what it is. Open mornings only Mon-Thur can do stamps, some
payments (when the blasted ultra-unreliable PO terminal *and* internet
connection are both actually working). Cannot accept mail no post box
or collection in that village! It exists as a statistical freak to allow
the PO to close other rural Post Offices which make even larger losses.

Nearest banks are all about 12 miles away (ditto cash points).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 22nd 18, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 11/22/2018 4:22 AM, MB wrote:
On 21/11/2018 21:41, S Viemeister wrote:
My nearest bank (RBS) is in Tongue, but it's closing next month - they
never bothered to install an ATM, but it was still handy to have a
proper bank. Now I have to go to Thurso or Inverness for an ATM or a
bank.

Don't the mobile banks venture into that area?

I haven't noticed any, yet. Perhaps after the nearest bank closes next
month.

Can't cheques be paid in at any bank or even places like Post Offices or
do they make a charge?

I don't know - but I don't use cheques much. My area uses cash more than
most, and the lack of easy access to cash is making life difficult.

Old November 22nd 18, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
S Viemeister

On 11/22/2018 6:42 AM, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

I believe they do charge - that was the case with the one in Tongue.

****Skiach services between Evanton and Alness (AFAICR charges)

Old November 22nd 18, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
bert

In article , NY
writes
"Woody" wrote in message
news
Don't you have any Post Offices up your way Mac, or are they
different in Scottishland?

Will a post office accept as a branch of a bank (NatWest, Barclays etc)
to allow you to pay in a cheque so it will be credited to your bank
account?

Yes but check the procedure before you set off ISTR you must put it in
an (approved) envelope with a Paying In slip.
Or do you have to open an account with the Post Office, pay the cheque
into that and then electronically transfer the money to your "real"
bank account?

No
I thought I was hard done-by to have to travel 20 miles to a town which
still has a NatWest bank, but in the Highlands it sounds to be much
worse if it's 75 or 100 miles to the nearest bank.

Most transactions can be accomplished over the phone or online, but
paying in a cheque *still* requires the piece of paper to be
transported to the branch, either by taking it yourself or by posting
it. The first is only free if you are already going into town (eg I do
it when I take my car to be serviced etc); the later costs money. Both
are anything but instant. Roll on the day when you can photograph a
cheque and email it.

I think they would prefer to abolish the cheque altogether.
Knowing financial institutions, they'll probably require the image to
be faxed rather than emailed :-) I have a savings account where they
will only accept instructions to sell units and transfer the proceeds
to my bank account by letter or fax; they will not accept the same scan
of a signed letter by email, only by fax - work that one out!

--
bert
Old November 22nd 18, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clive Page

On 21/11/2018 21:31, MissRiaElaine wrote:
I think Halifax has or is implementing that, but not sure, I'll have to check. Fortunately, I still have a branch within walking distance (oh bugger that's the kiss of death on it..!)

I have the Halifax app too, and it claims to do that, but after taking a picture of both sides of the cheque (the reverse side blank but the app insisted on it all the same) the app simply crashed. Did the same when I tried again. I don't think the system is quite ready for use yet. Or has anyone actually used it successfully?

--
Clive Page
Old November 23rd 18, 12:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

Clive Page wrote:

I don't think the system is quite ready for use yet.
Or has anyone actually used it successfully?

Barclays one is fine, initially it would only take Barclays cheques, now
it takes any bank's.

Old November 23rd 18, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 21/11/2018 19:36, NY wrote:

Most transactions can be accomplished over the phone or online, but
paying in a cheque *still* requires the piece of paper to be transported
to the branch, either by taking it yourself or by posting it. The first
is only free if you are already going into town (eg I do it when I take
my car to be serviced etc); the later costs money. Both are anything but
instant. Roll on the day when you can photograph a cheque and email it.
Knowing financial institutions, they'll probably require the image to be
faxed rather than emailed :-) I have a savings account where they will
only accept instructions to sell units and transfer the proceeds to my
bank account by letter or fax; they will not accept the same scan of a
signed letter by email, only by fax - work that one out!

I have rather a soft spot for faxes, I used to use them a lot at work.
My multi-function-do-everything copier/scanner/printer machine has fax
capability, but nobody ever sends me one :-(

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old November 23rd 18, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

bert wrote:

I think they would prefer to abolish the cheque altogether.

I think we all would. They're an anachronism.