Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

Old December 8th 18, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 21:03:40 -0000, "NY" wrote:

I will replace my present PC hardware with a faster PC with gigabit LAN etc
when it is possible to install Window 7 on it without having to buy a fresh
copy. Sadly PCs that come bundled with Windows (as opposed to buying it from
a shop) are not licensed for Windows on any other computer, even if you
destroy the original copy - well, that's the *official* story, anyway.

You'll be waiting a long time then. You haven't got long before
Microsoft abandon it completely, so it would be wise for you to
abandon it too. It's pointless to stick with a system that's doomed.

The last time I did a fresh install of Windows 7, several years ago, I
ended up leaving it overnight to complete more than two hundred
updates. It appeared to lock up several times for so long that I
thought it had crashed, so after several fruitless attempts I
eventually forgot about it and went to bed. Miraculously it seemed to
have sorted itself out by the morning. Windows 7 was nice while it
lasted but modern systems are better than this. You'll have to go with
the flow eventually.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old December 8th 18, 11:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Piet

Carlos E.R. wrote:
My downloads happen at 12 Mbytes, at 1 metre from the access point,
using a modern laptop that has 802.11 ac. That is, I get about
120 mbps.

That's about the rate at which you're flooding this newsgroup...

-p

Old December 13th 18, 05:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
+++ATH0

On 2018-12-05 06:51, nospam wrote:

cat5 is obsolete. cat6 or better should be installed in renovations and
new construction to support 10gig.

Which no-one is ever likely to need, so it won't happen. 10GbE over
copper is power hungry and pointless for home users, and Cat6 cable is
more expensive and irritating to install and terminate correctly.
Old December 13th 18, 02:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

In article , +++ATH0
wrote:

cat5 is obsolete. cat6 or better should be installed in renovations and
new construction to support 10gig.

Which no-one is ever likely to need, so it won't happen. 10GbE over
copper is power hungry and pointless for home users, and Cat6 cable is
more expensive and irritating to install and terminate correctly.

nonsense.

gigabit is currently a bottleneck even for home users and cat6 does not
require any additional effort to install nor does it need termination.
Old December 13th 18, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 13/12/2018 14:13, nospam wrote:
In article , +++ATH0
wrote:

cat5 is obsolete. cat6 or better should be installed in renovations and
new construction to support 10gig.

Which no-one is ever likely to need, so it won't happen. 10GbE over
copper is power hungry and pointless for home users, and Cat6 cable is
more expensive and irritating to install and terminate correctly.

nonsense.

gigabit is currently a bottleneck even for home users and cat6 does not
require any additional effort to install nor does it need termination.

This is why I say install ducts.

I've got Cat5E between my house and my man cave - and I haven't even
bothered to get a gig-capable switch for the end. (It's on the shopping
list... just after the NAS...)

Maybe in 10 years time I'll pull a fibre.

Andy
Old December 14th 18, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

In article , Vir Campestris
wrote:

gigabit is currently a bottleneck even for home users and cat6 does not
require any additional effort to install nor does it need termination.

This is why I say install ducts.

conduit.

I've got Cat5E between my house and my man cave - and I haven't even
bothered to get a gig-capable switch for the end. (It's on the shopping
list... just after the NAS...)

why not? they're cheap.

Maybe in 10 years time I'll pull a fibre.

most likely sooner than that.
Old December 15th 18, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
grinch

wrote:

cat5 is obsolete. cat6 or better should be installed in renovations and
new construction to support 10gig.

What are you doing the makes cat5 obsolete ? cat5 is gigabit capable up
to 100m ,I personally have tested it at 50m and it worked fine. That
test was done using the RFC2544 test and calibrated network testers.

Which no-one is ever likely to need, so it won't happen. 10GbE over
copper is power hungry and pointless for home users, and Cat6 cable is
more expensive and irritating to install and terminate correctly.

nonsense.

Its is more expensive per metre and it is more difficult to terminate
but you soon get the hang of it after a few wasted plugs

gigabit is currently a bottleneck even for home users and cat6 does not

If you are finding gigabit a bottleneck at home might I suggest finding
your personal network fault/issues. Duplex/speed issues perhaps?

In the office I work it there are about 450 people and each of our
personal Ethernet connections( 2 vlans voice data) are FastEthernet ,the
backbone is 10Ge though and we have no issues.

Cat6 is future proofing yes but usually it for bragging rights for those
who have it.

require any additional effort to install nor does it need termination.

Yes it does I can do both, and Cat5 is easier. What use would
unterminated cable be ???