Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

Old November 26th 18, 04:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Mobile faster than wi-fi in many countries

Note the slovenly misdescription in the title and throughout the
article, for 'WiFi' read 'landline'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46346172

"Speed tests in 80 countries revealed wi-fi was left lagging in 33
nations, according to wireless coverage mapping company OpenSignal.

Mobile data should also get a further speed boost when 5G networks
arrived, it said.

Wi-fi remained the fastest way to go online in most countries surveyed,
including the UK and Ireland."
Old November 26th 18, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_]

In message , Java Jive
writes:
Note the slovenly misdescription in the title and throughout the
article, for 'WiFi' read 'landline'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46346172

"Speed tests in 80 countries revealed wi-fi was left lagging in 33
nations, according to wireless coverage mapping company OpenSignal.

Mobile data should also get a further speed boost when 5G networks
arrived, it said.

Wi-fi remained the fastest way to go online in most countries surveyed,
including the UK and Ireland."

I agree it's _slightly_ sloppy usage, but the first line of text in the
article is the caption to the header picture, which specifically says
"wi-fi via a fixed line".

The whole thing seems to be a relay of a report (press release?) from
"wireless coverage mapping company OpenSignal.". I sense it's not
entirely objective - for example, OpenSignal said phone-makers needed
to "ensure they do not accidentally push consumers' smartphones on to a
wi-fi network with a worse experience than the mobile network". That
doesn't take account of the fact that most wi-fi networks are unlimited
usage, whereas most mobile data is paid (either by amount of data, or at
least has a daily/monthly/whatever cap), so using wifi where available
may be wise. (Besides, I think even my Android 4.2.2 has "use wi-fi
where available" as an _optional_ setting, i. e. can be turned off.)
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)[email protected]+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

Have you ever heard about a petition, disagreed with it, but been frustrated
that there's no way you can *show* that you disagree? If so, have a look at
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/232770 - and please pass it on if you
agree, especially to twitter, facebook, gransnet/mumsnet, or any such forum.

There's not an app for that.
Old November 28th 18, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 26/11/2018 17:01, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
In message , Java Jive
writes:
[...]

The one that is critical is do not allow insane sized operating system
upgrades to download whilst on a paid for by volume of data connection.

My own 3G connection will run 20Mbps at home whereas my best fixed line
is 5M and for most rural domestic users round here 1-2M is more typical.
So apart from the data charges which sting a little 3G is way faster
(and 4G is a distant pipe dream - most masts here are still EDGE 2.5G).

Peer to peer microwave link is establishing itself in North Yorkshire as
it is faster than either and has lower data charges. Many have already
abandoned their fixed line in favour of this alternative. The only catch
is that you require strict unobstructed line of sight to another node.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 28th 18, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Carlos E.R.

writes:
[...]

Well, my WiFi does at most 45 Mbit (with a 600 Mbit land line). So 4G,
with a theoretical speed of 301Mbit, is faster than my WiFi - unless
there are many phones in the area actively using internet, because the
speed is shared.

Many people have such slow WiFi. And even slower if living on a flat
(apartment): 1 MB is typical.

Yes, it is possible to purchase access points using 5 Gh and improve speed.

--
Cheers, Carlos.
Old November 28th 18, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

In article , Carlos E.R.
wrote:

Well, my WiFi does at most 45 Mbit (with a 600 Mbit land line).

that would be a *very* old wifi router, long overdue to upgrade,
especially when the uplink is more than 10x faster.

So 4G,
with a theoretical speed of 301Mbit, is faster than my WiFi - unless
there are many phones in the area actively using internet, because the
speed is shared.

4g is a marketing name.

lte advanced and advanced pro, often called gigabit lte, are well in
excess of 300mbit.

https://5g.co.uk/guides/lte-advanced-pro/
Data speeds in excess of 3Gbps (LTE-A: 1Gbps)
http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/97-lte-advanced
Increased peak data rate, DL 3 Gbps, UL 1.5 Gbps

regardless, saturating a single cell tower would take a *lot* of
simultaneous network activity, even at slower speeds.

Many people have such slow WiFi. And even slower if living on a flat
(apartment): 1 MB is typical.

nonsense. 802.11g from 15 years ago is faster than that and flat is
preferred over multiple floors.

Yes, it is possible to purchase access points using 5 Gh and improve speed.

yep, and for very little money too, however, not required to be faster
than 45mbit.
Old November 28th 18, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 28/11/2018 13:03, Carlos E.R. wrote:
On 28/11/2018 12.57, Martin Brown wrote:

My own 3G connection will run 20Mbps at home whereas my best fixed line
is 5M and for most rural domestic users round here 1-2M is more typical.
So apart from the data charges which sting a little 3G is way faster
(and 4G is a distant pipe dream - most masts here are still EDGE 2.5G).

Well, my WiFi does at most 45 Mbit (with a 600 Mbit land line). So 4G,
with a theoretical speed of 301Mbit, is faster than my WiFi - unless
there are many phones in the area actively using internet, because the
speed is shared.

That seems insanely slow WiFi speed for such a fast landline.

Many people have such slow WiFi. And even slower if living on a flat
(apartment): 1 MB is typical.

If there are zillions of users all fighting for the same channel 11 as
BT used to by default set them up to do then you can get a huge slowdown
due to collisions. I persuaded my nearest neighbours to use channels so
that people on the same channel are separated as widely as possible.

Yes, it is possible to purchase access points using 5 Gh and improve speed.

Most ISP provided modems are capable of 5GHz operation and 802.11n these
days - maybe you should ask your ISP to replace your antidiluvian unit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old November 28th 18, 05:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

In article , Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

while 5ghz is certainly preferred, 802.11n @ 2.4gz would be faster than
his 45mbit.
Old November 28th 18, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"nospam" wrote in message
Most ISP provided modems are capable of 5GHz operation and 802.11n these
days - maybe you should ask your ISP to replace your antidiluvian unit.

while 5ghz is certainly preferred, 802.11n @ 2.4gz would be faster than
his 45mbit.

Depends whether there are other routers that use the same channel within
interference range. That would slow things down down a lot if there are
collisions.

Also, the range of 5 GHz is a *lot* less. Some devices, such as my wife's
iPad, try 5 GHz in preference, even if you give the two networks different
SSIDs, but then are reluctant to switch over to 2.4 even when 5 gets weak as
you move out of range. I eventually had to disable 5 GHz because her iPad
would struggle on at ludicrously low levels of signal (ie with a couple of
internal walls in between) rather than using 2.4 which was still very
usable.

I've yet to find a wireless laptop that communicates at more than about 80
Mbps (when doing a large file copy), even when there's nothing else on the
same channel, the router is capable of 400 and the laptop and router are
next to each other. My laptop tends to connect at about 40 Mbps (according
to Task Manager | Networking) but then gradually slows down to about 5. If I
disable the laptop's wifi and plug into the router by Ethernet, a big file
copy will run at about 100 Mbps - assuming I'm copying to another computer
on the LAN which is connected by wifi - so it's not computer or HDD speed
that is throttling it.

Wifi is great for portability, but I remain to be convinced that it is able
to match it for speed. For web browsing, the ADSL WAN speed is the limiting
factor, so you don't notice, but file access between two local computers
doesn't have that restriction so you should be able to get (in theory) 400
Mbps (assuming no other wifi traffic, and assuming Gigabit Ethernet to the
other computer.

Old November 28th 18, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
nospam

In article , NY
wrote:

Most ISP provided modems are capable of 5GHz operation and 802.11n these
days - maybe you should ask your ISP to replace your antidiluvian unit.

while 5ghz is certainly preferred, 802.11n @ 2.4gz would be faster than
his 45mbit.

Depends whether there are other routers that use the same channel within
interference range. That would slow things down down a lot if there are
collisions.

interference affects any wifi.

Also, the range of 5 GHz is a *lot* less. Some devices, such as my wife's
iPad, try 5 GHz in preference, even if you give the two networks different
SSIDs,

if the ssids have different names, the preference is not dependent on
band.

but then are reluctant to switch over to 2.4 even when 5 gets weak as
you move out of range. I eventually had to disable 5 GHz because her iPad
would struggle on at ludicrously low levels of signal (ie with a couple of
internal walls in between) rather than using 2.4 which was still very
usable.

use the same ssid for both and it will intelligently switch.

some wifi routers can adjust the threshold at which it switches.

ideally, set up one or more 5ghz wifi access points elsewhere in the
house, wherever it's needed. mesh units make this *very* easy but
non-mesh units will also work.

I've yet to find a wireless laptop that communicates at more than about 80
Mbps (when doing a large file copy), even when there's nothing else on the
same channel, the router is capable of 400 and the laptop and router are
next to each other. My laptop tends to connect at about 40 Mbps (according
to Task Manager | Networking) but then gradually slows down to about 5. If I
disable the laptop's wifi and plug into the router by Ethernet, a big file
copy will run at about 100 Mbps - assuming I'm copying to another computer
on the LAN which is connected by wifi - so it's not computer or HDD speed
that is throttling it.

80mbps is abnormally slow for modern wifi and even not so modern wifi.

Wifi is great for portability, but I remain to be convinced that it is able
to match it for speed. For web browsing, the ADSL WAN speed is the limiting
factor, so you don't notice, but file access between two local computers
doesn't have that restriction so you should be able to get (in theory) 400
Mbps (assuming no other wifi traffic, and assuming Gigabit Ethernet to the
other computer.

in theory, better than gigabit speeds.
in reality, near gigabit speeds.

wired gigabit to the wifi access point becomes the bottleneck.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/imag...ynology_rt1900
ac/synology_rt1900ac_up-n-dn.jpg

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/imag...sus_rtac86u/as
us_rtac86u_5ghz_peak_dn.jpg

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/soluti...rise-networks/
802-11ac-solution/q-and-a-c67-734152.html
Old November 28th 18, 06:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,comp.mobile.android,uk.telecom.broadband
123456789

On 11/28/2018 6:03 AM, Carlos E.R. wrote:

my WiFi does at most 45 Mbit (with a 600 Mbit land line). So 4G,
with a theoretical speed of 301Mbit, is faster than my WiFi

How do you test your speed?

When I test my overall speed I often get different answers depending on
the device used, even though I test at the same (seconds apart) time,
same cable connection, same WiFi, and using the same speed test site.
Reported speeds have varied by as much much as 50 Mbps. As a general
rule the cheaper the device I'm using the lower the reported speed. So I
usually just the same device for day to day comparisons.