viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

Old January 4th 19, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

Default viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

On Fri, 4 Jan 2019 21:27:44 +0000, Vir Campestris
wrote in :

I really wish we could have remained in Europe and yet been freed of the
pernicious influences of the EU's "United States of Europe". Sadly we
were not offered that third way - it was all or nothing.

That's what we voted to join back in '73. I'm with you.

This has gotten seriously off-topic but I cant resist adding my two
pennorth.

We did indeed vote to join an (ever-increasingly) United States of Europe
back in '73; the crucial step of a common EC-wide currency was in the
blueprint at that time.

It's bull**** to suggest that we weren't offered a third way; we achieved it
(with much pressure from the US) via the disastrous measure of admitting a
whole bunch of countries that didn't qualify for membership--many of which
still don't--thus ensuring that further integration became impossible and
that the free movement of labour within the EC became a political time bomb.
--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old January 5th 19, 01:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

"NY" wrote
That's what we voted to join back in '73. I'm with you.

Run well, the EU could be great, but they rather spoiled things when they

allowed a supreme court in the EU to overrule legal decisions in member
states, and to allow free movement of citizens from *all* EU countries to
work in another EU country.

Part one was on the UKIP web site way back, metric martyrs date, asserting
that the people had been lied to in 1973

I asked then and now how we could have a customs union without a means of
deciding for everyone what tariff category Rubik's cube (say) was in,
overiding national courts.

Same problem if a decision could be nullified by a member amending its
constitution.

--
Mike D

Old January 5th 19, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Tweed wrote:
Mark Carver wrote:
On 31/12/2018 16:28, Tweed wrote:

You don't have to be in the EU to benefit from “free” roaming agreements.
The number of countries within the “free” area exceeds the number of EU
states. Vodafone, to take one example, lists 48.

If you consider Three's 'Go Roam' facility they talk about 71
destinations (destinations of course doesn't necessarily equal countries !)

I think Three showed where the market was going before the EU mandated
“free” roaming was introduced.

It was the other way around. The EU commissioner gave the networks an
ultimatum to vastly reduce roaming charges with a view to enforcement if
they didn't. Three became the first to do so and gained the appearance of
being a market leader. They were simply pre-empting what they going to have
to do any way. Plus, they added other countries outside of the EU.

Once they started offering “free” roaming,
albeit somewhat throttled to start with, it was inevitable that others
would have to follow, EU or not. The networks, much against their wishes,
have become commodity bit pipes. You can't afford to be an inferior bit
pipe in a competitive market.

Old January 7th 19, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 30/12/2018 23:35, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Back in 1988, I got coverage hours out of Harwich sailing to Denmark on 900MHz analogue.

Range over water is very good (no hills you see).

On GSM range is restricted to about twenty miles by the protocol. Similar on 3/4G IIRC.

No, not the timeslot thing doesn't apply to 3 or 4G I think, there have
been documented cases of people on hill tops in Devon, getting charged
for roaming on French networks.

--
Mark
Old January 7th 19, 08:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 30/12/2018 23:35, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Back in 1988, I got coverage hours out of Harwich sailing to Denmark on 900MHz analogue.

Range over water is very good (no hills you see).

On GSM range is restricted to about twenty miles by the protocol. Similar on 3/4G IIRC.

No, not the timeslot thing doesn't apply to 3 or 4G I think, there have
been documented cases of people on hill tops in Devon, getting charged
for roaming on French networks.

I've just read a paper discussing 4G running over more than 100km, by
design. So not time slot restricted.

Old January 7th 19, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 7 January 2019 17:38:50 UTC, Mark Carver wrote:
On 30/12/2018 23:35, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
Back in 1988, I got coverage hours out of Harwich sailing to Denmark on 900MHz analogue.

Range over water is very good (no hills you see).

On GSM range is restricted to about twenty miles by the protocol. Similar on 3/4G IIRC.

No, not the timeslot thing doesn't apply to 3 or 4G I think, there have
been documented cases of people on hill tops in Devon, getting charged
for roaming on French networks.

--
Mark

I will look into this.