viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

Old December 9th 18, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Default viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

I am on O2 using GiffGaff and if I pay £10 per month (or less) I can
legally tether when using my 3Gb per month; 3 permit tethering only on
contract connections, not on PAYG or monthly bundles.

I have a Three PAYG SIM in my iPad. It's one of those that give you 200Mb
free per month. I've just tethered another device to it and run a full
speed test and browsed the web. So it seems Three also also PAYG SIMs to
tether now.

Old December 9th 18, 08:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 09/12/2018 20:04, Tweed wrote:

I am on O2 using GiffGaff and if I pay £10 per month (or less) I can
legally tether when using my 3Gb per month; 3 permit tethering only on
contract connections, not on PAYG or monthly bundles.

I have a Three PAYG SIM in my iPad. It's one of those that give you 200Mb
free per month. I've just tethered another device to it and run a full
speed test and browsed the web. So it seems Three also also PAYG SIMs to
tether now.

Well, yes and no. I too have tethered on 3 without problem but I know of
two people on 3 PAYG who have received text messages tell them they are
in breach of contract.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old December 9th 18, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 09/12/2018 19:44, Tweed wrote:

Now why do EE, VF, and O2 consider there is a market for 4G in that area
but 3 seemingly do not*. Also at the moment the only one of the four
having a 4G wi-fi router available (with cable ethernet connection) is
EE - the others just rely upon a mi-fi unit or a USB dongle.

When did you last try Three? I know I sound a bit like their marketing
department (no connection with them - honest) but they seem to have been
investing heavily 4G of late. My own area now has coverage, and if you look
at their coverage checker, where they do have coverage it is largely 4G.
Given the improvement in spectrum efficiency of 4G over 3G, they would be
mad to stay with 3G since they have the least spectrum allocation of any of
the 4 operators.

To be exact 3rd November 2018. The site owner is on 3 contract and I
used his phone to see what it thought was/is available. It could see
2G/3G/4G on EE, VF, and O2, but only 2G and 3G on 3. My 4G mi-fi on 3
also would only get 3G. QED?

Old December 9th 18, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tweed[_2_]

Woody wrote:
[...]

Seems they've not got there yet. What does the Three postcode coverage
checker say? Is it truthful? It's showing Glenfinnan as 3G only, which is
what I found in June. However that was better than VF who could only manage
2G.

Old December 9th 18, 09:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Woody wrote:

I am on O2 using GiffGaff and if I pay £10 per month (or less) I can
legally tether when using my 3Gb per month; 3 permit tethering only on
contract connections, not on PAYG or monthly bundles.

No longer true I don't think, 3 allow tethering on any of their tariffs.

--
Chris Green

Old December 10th 18, 07:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 09/12/2018 20:39, Tweed wrote:
Woody wrote:
[...]

Surprisingly - not - the postcode checker shows no 4G coverage, albeit
it is very rural and postcodes cover large areas.

Old December 10th 18, 10:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

Woody wrote:

I am on O2 using GiffGaff and if I pay £10 per month (or less) I can
legally tether when using my 3Gb per month; 3 permit tethering only on
contract connections, not on PAYG or monthly bundles.

No longer true I don't think, 3 allow tethering on any of their tariffs.

...except PAYG.

No, including PAYG. I have a 3 PAYG and they actually told me that I
can now tether.

--
Chris Green

Old December 10th 18, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Sunday, 9 December 2018 19:36:47 UTC, Tweed wrote:
Now why do EE, VF, and O2 consider there is a market for 4G in that area
but 3 seemingly do not*. Also at the moment the only one of the four
having a 4G wi-fi router available (with cable ethernet connection) is
EE - the others just rely upon a mi-fi unit or a USB dongle.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devi...0&colour=Black

Three seem to offer a router with Ethernet

Draytek have sold one for about a decade.
Old December 10th 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/12/2018 13:02, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 9 December 2018 19:36:47 UTC, Tweed wrote:
Now why do EE, VF, and O2 consider there is a market for 4G in that area
but 3 seemingly do not*. Also at the moment the only one of the four
having a 4G wi-fi router available (with cable ethernet connection) is
EE - the others just rely upon a mi-fi unit or a USB dongle.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devi...0&colour=Black

Three seem to offer a router with Ethernet

Draytek have sold one for about a decade.

Amazing considering 4G services didn't start until 2013

--
Mark