viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

Old December 10th 18, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default viable to use 4G instead of fixed line?

On Monday, 10 December 2018 14:34:49 UTC, Mark Carver wrote:
On 10/12/2018 13:02, R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Sunday, 9 December 2018 19:36:47 UTC, Tweed wrote:
Now why do EE, VF, and O2 consider there is a market for 4G in that area
but 3 seemingly do not*. Also at the moment the only one of the four
having a 4G wi-fi router available (with cable ethernet connection) is
EE - the others just rely upon a mi-fi unit or a USB dongle.

EE were first by means of re-allocating bandwidth merged 121 and Orange.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Devi...0&colour=Black

Three seem to offer a router with Ethernet

Draytek have sold one for about a decade.

Amazing considering 4G services didn't start until 2013

This is called future proofing.

The Draytek 2930 could connect through a 3G dongle plugged into a USB port several years before that.

You simply bought a generic dongle and put in the SIM card of your choice.

Obviously if either the dongle also supports 4G or you buy a 4G compatible dongle then it will work over 4G. The router does not care what the physical layer of the dongle is and indeed it could be Wi-Fi.

OTOH some routers have a SIM tray in them - this relies on hardware in the router so earlier versions won't support 4G.

--
Mark

Old December 10th 18, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 10/12/2018 15:02, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Amazing considering 4G services didn't start until 2013

This is called future proofing.

The Draytek 2930 could connect through a 3G dongle plugged into a USB port several years before that.

Yes, I know, I've got one

You simply bought a generic dongle and put in the SIM card of your choice.

OTOH some routers have a SIM tray in them - this relies on hardware in the router so earlier versions won't support 4G.

Yes, I've faffed more than enough around with USB dongles in my time.
Horrible. I've got a 4G router with a SIM slot. Vastly superior

--
Mark
Old December 10th 18, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 09/12/2018 20:28, Woody wrote:

Well, yes and no. I too have tethered on 3 without problem but I know of
two people on 3 PAYG who have received text messages tell them they are
in breach of contract.

How can they tell..? If I use X MB/GB of data, how do they know what
device I've used it on..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 10th 18, 04:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 10/12/2018 10:21, Chris Green wrote:

No, including PAYG. I have a 3 PAYG and they actually told me that I
can now tether.

Did you get that in writing..? You may just have spoken to somebody who
simply got it wrong.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old December 10th 18, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

If I use X MB/GB of data, how do they know what
device I've used it on..?

trivially: looking at TTL field of IP headers

marginally less trivially: deep packet inspection.
Old December 10th 18, 05:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:21, Chris Green wrote:

No, including PAYG. I have a 3 PAYG and they actually told me that I
can now tether.

Did you get that in writing..? You may just have spoken to somebody who
simply got it wrong.

It was in an E-Mail and/or on the web site, no voice involved. It
certainly seems to be true too.

I used to have to disguise my laptop by changing the ID string in
Firefox to one for a mobile phone when tethering, now I no longer hav
eto do that.

--
Chris Green
·
Old December 10th 18, 05:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Green

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 10/12/2018 10:21, Chris Green wrote:

No, including PAYG. I have a 3 PAYG and they actually told me that I
can now tether.

Did you get that in writing..? You may just have spoken to somebody who
simply got it wrong.

I just logged in to my 3 account, in the small print at the bottom of
the prices it says:-

If you want to create a personal hotspot on Pay As You Go, you can do
so in the UK or with our Feel At Home in Europe destinations using
your data allowance from an Add-on (up to 30 GB) or cash credit at
1p/MB.

This is a fairly recent change and, I agree, it conflicts with what it
says in their FAQ.

--
Chris Green
·
Old December 10th 18, 06:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 09/12/2018 19:38, Tweed wrote:
From the ispreview article:
* remove any specific tethering or hotspot allowance for new or upgrading
customers, to allow for unrestricted tethering (within the UK or EU);

Does that apply to all mobile operators in the UK now?

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old December 10th 18, 06:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 09/12/2018 20:30, Woody wrote:
To be exact 3rd November 2018. The site owner is on 3 contract and I
used his phone to see what it thought was/is available. It could see
2G/3G/4G on EE, VF, and O2, but only 2G and 3G on 3. My 4G mi-fi on 3
also would only get 3G. QED?

It's years since I saw any 2G on three. Didn't realise they had any left
now.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).
Old December 10th 18, 06:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory[_2_]

On 09/12/2018 20:04, Tweed wrote:

I am on O2 using GiffGaff and if I pay £10 per month (or less) I can
legally tether when using my 3Gb per month; 3 permit tethering only on
contract connections, not on PAYG or monthly bundles.

I have a Three PAYG SIM in my iPad. It's one of those that give you 200Mb
free per month. I've just tethered another device to it and run a full
speed test and browsed the web. So it seems Three also also PAYG SIMs to
tether now.

Er, how would they know????
If they wanted to stop you doing it all they could do is gather evidence
that the traffic they saw looked like it was for a laptop rather than a
tablet.

--

Brian Gregory (in England).