Streets with UK's slowest and fastest broadband named

Old December 12th 18, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

Default Streets with UK's slowest and fastest broadband named

"A village street in Bamfurlong, Gloucestershire, has been named as the
slowest for broadband internet, according to an annual survey.

The study said homes on Greenmeadows Park averaged just 0.14 megabits
per second (Mbps).

The fastest spot, by contrast, is said to offer speeds that are nearly
1,900 times faster.

It was named as Abdon Avenue in Birmingham, where the average speed was
recorded as being 265.89Mbps.

[...]

Of note, the Gloucestershire street is only about one mile (1.6km) away
from GCHQ, the communications-focussed intelligence agency, which has
some of the fastest internet access of all."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46528345

Old December 12th 18, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

On 12/12/2018 11:46, Java Jive wrote:
"A village street in Bamfurlong, Gloucestershire, has been named as the
slowest for broadband internet, according to an annual survey.

The study said homes on Greenmeadows Park averaged just 0.14 megabits
per second (Mbps).

They must be one of those unlucky places with hybrid copper aluminium
wiring and nicely corroded rectifying junctions between them. Our local
notspot for ADSL manages almost twice that speed at 0.256M.

It would be useful if someone published the areas with serious lack.

The fastest spot, by contrast, is said to offer speeds that are nearly
1,900 times faster.

It was named as Abdon Avenue in Birmingham, where the average speed was
recorded as being 265.89Mbps.

[...]

Of note, the Gloucestershire street is only about one mile (1.6km) away
from GCHQ, the communications-focussed intelligence agency, which has
some of the fastest internet access of all."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46528345

I doubt if they would be willing to share any of it.

Actually on this subject does anyone know of a database of true signal
strength as a function of location (not the theoretical coverage maps of
the providers but actual data points). I am interested in finding which
of the various networks is least bad for a friend at the foot of a cliff
with masts on it. On paper he is well within range but in practice the
signals are beamed past him without touching the ground. I know that
Three, O2 and EE have no coverage but I could do with maps for any other
players that take into account local topology rather than just range.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown