Differing speed testing results

Old January 13th 19, 11:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

Default Differing speed testing results

On 13/01/2019 09:36, Java Jive wrote:
On 13/01/2019 08:45, Brighton Rock wrote:

It is not because you are on VM. Unfortunately the current version of
the Openreach test is broken with most browsers. Although some report it
working with Edge and Internet Explorer.

This sounds like ******** to me. I've used it successfully in Firefox
and Pale Moon. However it does require that you have Flash installed
for your browser, and enabled at least on an optional basis. I agree
that's a little outmoded now, but, as I've already pointed out, this is
the tester the one that, AIUI, OpenReach themselves use, so it's the
best one to use when reporting faults, etc.

So how come I get a reported 242Mbps download on a 75Mbps service?

But the real question is what can I do next?

Earlier in the thread you can see the enormous variation between the 12
sites I've used 8.10Mbps to 65.3Mbps (ignoring that ridiculous 242Mbps).

Vodafone say my modem is synced with them at 70Mbps so it's not their
problem. I get exactly the same results (near as damn it) with any
combination of LAN, wireless, PC, laptop, and 3 different browsers.

The practical manifestation of this is that web pages are slow to load
e.g. type https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather, press enter and then it's 5
seconds of blank screen before the page starts to render. Doesn't sound
long but count to 5 in your head and you'll realise what a delay it is.
Videos stream, however, without buffering.

I have no idea what to do next - help!

Malcolm
Old January 13th 19, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sat, 12 Jan 2019 22:35:58 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

On 12/01/2019 20:48, Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT there
are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have been
typing this I have done several checks:
Speedtest*** 111/6.0/10 as down/up/ping
Netmeter*** 82/6.3/10
uSwitch******* 114/6.0/?
Testmy.net*** 118.5/5.7/?

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT Wholesale
site:
****http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

4 sequential tests on btwholesale returned latency of 37.38 - 40.75,
download speed 49.72 - 242.24!!!!!, upload 13.74 - 15.32

I just don't see that sort of variation in any test that I run, but then
I have a very slow connection anyway. Presumably the faster the
connection, the more other factors are significant in affecting download
speed.

Makes no more sense that the other dozen tests.

Nevertheless, it's the one that OpenReach uses, so you're getting it
'from the horse's mouth'!

The only 100% guaranteed way of ensuring you're measuring your
connection speed and nothing else is to eliminate everything else.
First, connect one computer directly to your router by ethernet cable
and disconnect everything else. Switch wireless off to eliminate all
the tablets, phones, Alexas, TV streamers, radios and other gadgets
you'd probably otherwise forget about. Then upload a large test file
of known size to a location on your own ISP's server and then download
it, and time it. (Some ISPs provide a test file for this purpose). Any
test using an independent website will inevitable involve data
travelling over part of the internet that is outside your ISP's
control, and could only possibly slow it down.

Without a doubt this is more hassle than using any of the handydandy
speed test websites, but maybe it's worth doing once just to see how
the results from the various websites relate to it. If any speed test
website gives values that are actually *higher* than a file transfer
directly with your own ISP, be suspicious, be very suspicious.

Rod.
Old January 13th 19, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sun 13/01/2019 10:27, Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

Ah, have you fallen into the trap? VF are saying your router is sync'd
at 70Mb which is probably true, but that doesn't mean that everything
behind it is running at that speed. For example if the feed goes over a
34Mb radio link then given contention you are only likely to get a
fraction of that.

VM is Chronic for that. I might be on a 100Mb service - and until they
recently decided performance monitoring (of which I was part) in my area
was no longer needed Sam Knows (on behalf of VM) showed that in fact
most of the time I was getting well north of 110Mb - but it doesn't mean
that if I try to download something at 19h on a weekday it is that
quick. On the other hand do that same download at 6h30 on a weekday and
it is lightning fast.

It sounds to me like there is considerable buffering taking place
somewhere along the download path and the web page is not being
delivered until it has been completely built.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 13th 19, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

Try some large downloads. Like an Ubuntu install ISO and monitor the
download rate in the browser or process monitor.
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desk...itecture=amd64

I've been a bit skeptical of speed testers for two reasons 1) ISPs may be
tempted to prioritise those connections, and 2) I don't understand how a
d/l can increase continually in speed during the test - I get this
regularly with speedtest.net.

A real download should give a truer measure. Assuming no issues with the
upstream server.

Old January 13th 19, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 12/01/2019 22:35, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

It's been fundamentally broken for a while now as I see it. I've been
able to pull down reported speeds in the 100's of mbps when I'm
provisioned on an 80mpbs FTTC connection!

Attempt just now:

Download speed: 0.00
Upload speed: 5.18
Ping Latency(ms): 79.38

Which is utter nonsense.

Makes no more sense that the other dozen tests.

Nevertheless, it's the one that OpenReach uses, so you're getting it
'from the horse's mouth'!

Openreach != BT Wholesale.

Old January 13th 19, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Malcolm Loades
writes
[...]

The 5 second delay on web page load sounds like a different problem from
the link speed issue.

Try changing the DNS servers you are using (8.8.8.8 is Google's).

If the DNS server is responding slowly, given the number of bits of junk
in the average web page - each of which needs a DNS lookup call - then
the pages will load slowly.

The lack of buffering of Video streams suggest that your connection is
probably doing OK, and the variation in speed tests is probably due to
bottlenecks between you and them (depends how Virgin routes to the
various peer networks)
--
Invalid
Old January 13th 19, 05:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 13/01/2019 13:40, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
[...]

Again, I can only repeat that on a slow connection I do not see that
sort of variability. I presume that this is because for a slow
connection the most likely bottleneck is the connection itself, not
other things that are happening in the user's own site or the wider
internet, whereas with faster connections, it is more likely that other
factors will be able to affect the result, perhaps only temporarily, but
significantly if it happens to occur during a test.

Makes no more sense that the other dozen tests.

Nevertheless, it's the one that OpenReach uses, so you're getting it
'from the horse's mouth'!

Openreach != BT Wholesale.

Not now, yet I still see engineers using that tester when they visit my
home!

The problem with most of the others is that they contain advertising,
and if the user is unwise enough to start the test before the
advertising has finished loading, or if the advertising reloads on a
periodic basis, then the test download will appear to take longer than
it should because the test download + advertising is what is actually
being timed.
Old January 13th 19, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 13/01/2019 16:05, Java Jive wrote:
[...]

It should never return a result hundreds of mbps higher than what my
line can realistically achieve (and it frequently does).

It's also still dependent on Flash, which in this day and age is crazy.

There was an attempt to migrate to an HTML 5 version a while back but it
got rolled back due to problems.

I believe there will be another attempt to make the transition before
too long.

Regardless, the last time I checked, the various issues had been
acknowledged by Wholesale.

Old January 13th 19, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 13/01/2019 18:28, Plusnet Support Team wrote:

It should never return a result hundreds of mbps higher than what my
line can realistically achieve (and it frequently does).

I agree, but I've yet ever to see that. It could be a cacheing problem,
I suppose, or some miscalculation at high download rates.
Old January 14th 19, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 15:39:44 +0000, Invalid
wrote:

The practical manifestation of this is that web pages are slow to load
e.g. type https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather, press enter and then it's 5
seconds of blank screen before the page starts to render. Doesn't
sound long but count to 5 in your head and you'll realise what a delay
it is. Videos stream, however, without buffering.

I have no idea what to do next - help!

Malcolm

The 5 second delay on web page load sounds like a different problem from
the link speed issue.

Try changing the DNS servers you are using (8.8.8.8 is Google's).

I've been using 1.1.1.1 for a while, and that seems OK.

Another thing that can slow down the response of a web browser is too
many diverts to other sites in order to show you embedded adverts, or
simply to track what you're looking at. Some websites are worse than
others in this respect, and if you use a blocker such as Ghostery on
your browser, some websites become almost unusable, presumably due to
the number of rejections it gives out and which have to be responded
to before you get to see any of the content of the site you actually
want to see. Ghostery shows the number of sites it's blocking, and I
have seen this occasionally get up to the 70s and 80s. Websites like
this are probably best avoided anyway.

Rod.