Differing speed testing results

Old January 15th 19, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Brown[_2_]

Default Differing speed testing results

On 13/01/2019 18:28, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 13/01/2019 16:05, Java Jive wrote:
On 13/01/2019 13:40, Plusnet Support Team wrote:
On 12/01/2019 22:35, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 20:48, Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT
there
are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have been
typing this I have done several checks:
Speedtest*** 111/6.0/10 as down/up/ping
Netmeter*** 82/6.3/10
uSwitch******* 114/6.0/?
Testmy.net*** 118.5/5.7/?

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT
Wholesale
site:
*****http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

4 sequential tests on btwholesale returned latency of 37.38 - 40.75,
download speed 49.72 - 242.24!!!!!, upload 13.74 - 15.32

I just don't see that sort of variation in any test that I run, but then
I have a very slow connection anyway.* Presumably the faster the
connection, the more other factors are significant in affecting download
speed.

It's been fundamentally broken for a while now as I see it. I've been
able to pull down reported speeds in the 100's of mbps when I'm
provisioned on an 80mpbs FTTC connection!

Attempt just now:

Download speed: 0.00
Upload speed: 5.18
Ping Latency(ms): 79.38

Which is utter nonsense.

I only see ping times 25ms when things are going wrong or it is an
insanely busy time of day (and that's on a relatively slow ADSL line).

Again, I can only repeat that on a slow connection I do not see that
sort of variability.* I presume that this is because for a slow
connection the most likely bottleneck is the connection itself, not
other things that are happening in the user's own site or the wider
internet, whereas with faster connections, it is more likely that other
factors will be able to affect the result, perhaps only temporarily, but
significantly if it happens to occur during a test.

It should never return a result hundreds of mbps higher than what my
line can realistically achieve (and it frequently does).

I presume it isn't really designed to be used like that, but it is an
odd behaviour.

It's also still dependent on Flash, which in this day and age is crazy.

Indeed.

There was an attempt to migrate to an HTML 5 version a while back but it
got rolled back due to problems.

I wonder if they introduced some gremlins at the same time?

I believe there will be another attempt to make the transition before
too long.

Regardless, the last time I checked, the various issues had been
acknowledged by Wholesale.

I wouldn't trust any of the various speed tests to be absolutely
accurate but I would be inclined to expect that using the same one at
different times of day will establish if there are contention problems.

The most likely cause of erratic loading of webpages on an otherwise
fast link are exponential backoff when packets go missing or unwise use
of a particularly slow DNS server that takes ages to respond.

Makes no more sense that the other dozen tests.

Nevertheless, it's the one that OpenReach uses, so you're getting it
'from the horse's mouth'!

Openreach != BT Wholesale.

Not now, yet I still see engineers using that tester when they visit my
home!

The problem with most of the others is that they contain advertising,
and if the user is unwise enough to start the test before the
advertising has finished loading, or if the advertising reloads on a
periodic basis, then the test download will appear to take longer than
it should because the test download + advertising is what is actually
being timed

Depends on the size of the adverts. FWIW the BBC weather page takes
about 5s to load on my puny rural 5Mbps interleaved ADSL so if it is
taking the same time on a link that syncs more than an order of
magnitudes faster then something is up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old January 16th 19, 03:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
+++ATH0

On 2019-01-14 03:53, Roderick Stewart wrote:
Another thing that can slow down the response of a web browser is too
many diverts to other sites in order to show you embedded adverts, or
simply to track what you're looking at. Some websites are worse than
others in this respect, and if you use a blocker such as Ghostery on
your browser, some websites become almost unusable, presumably due to
the number of rejections it gives out and which have to be responded
to before you get to see any of the content of the site you actually
want to see.

What a load of cobblers. The whole point of these things is that they
prevent the crap content you don't want to see being loaded in the first
place. Poor site design, or your computer being old or just riddled with
crapware and viruses is more likely to be the culprit.
Old January 16th 19, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 19:39:01 -0800, +++ATH0

On 2019-01-14 03:53, Roderick Stewart wrote:
Another thing that can slow down the response of a web browser is too
many diverts to other sites in order to show you embedded adverts, or
simply to track what you're looking at. Some websites are worse than
others in this respect, and if you use a blocker such as Ghostery on
your browser, some websites become almost unusable, presumably due to
the number of rejections it gives out and which have to be responded
to before you get to see any of the content of the site you actually
want to see.

What a load of cobblers. The whole point of these things is that they
prevent the crap content you don't want to see being loaded in the first
place. Poor site design, or your computer being old or just riddled with
crapware and viruses is more likely to be the culprit.

The fact that some websites respond quickly and some slowly would seem
to rule out crapware on my computer. The fact that in many cases the
slowness of a website is consistently related to that website would
also seem to rule out random delays due to the route to that
particular website being busy. It's almost as it it had something to
do with the website itself...

Rod.
Old January 16th 19, 03:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

On 12/01/2019 13:55, Malcolm Loades wrote:
I've always used speedtest.net and until a week or so ago my pings were
always 7-9ms, mid 60s download and around 18-19 upload. This with a VF
75Mbps service.

Two weeks ago speedtest.net started reporting pings in the 20s,
downloads +/-15 but uploads only marginally reduced to 17. I've
probably done around 20 tests in the past week at varying times but all
results are in this frame.

VF support contend that I'm synced at 70Mbps to my router so the problem
is not with them.

Then today, just out of curiosity, I sequentially tried 12 different
websites offering speed tests. The best ping I got was 23ms, the worst
download 8.10Mbps and the best download 65.30 Of the 12 tests 3 were in
the 60s, 1 in the 50s, 1 below 10 with the remaining 7 being in the
upper teens. Upload speed varied very little, worst being 17.4 and the
best 18.29Mbps.

What is going on? I'm totally confused :-(

Malcolm

UPDATE

Not sure why I tried this but I'm glad I did! I opened a VPN connection
to a London server and then ran a test with each of the 12 testers I
reported on before .... and the variation has virtually disappeared.
Every one of the tests returned a download result in the 60s, uploads
similar to before which were always in the correct window.

Does this prove a problem with my ISP, Vodafone, who still deny any
problems with their network?

Malcolm