Differing speed testing results

Old January 12th 19, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

Default Differing speed testing results

I've always used speedtest.net and until a week or so ago my pings were
always 7-9ms, mid 60s download and around 18-19 upload. This with a VF
75Mbps service.

Two weeks ago speedtest.net started reporting pings in the 20s,
downloads +/-15 but uploads only marginally reduced to 17. I've
probably done around 20 tests in the past week at varying times but all
results are in this frame.

VF support contend that I'm synced at 70Mbps to my router so the problem
is not with them.

Then today, just out of curiosity, I sequentially tried 12 different
websites offering speed tests. The best ping I got was 23ms, the worst
download 8.10Mbps and the best download 65.30 Of the 12 tests 3 were in
the 60s, 1 in the 50s, 1 below 10 with the remaining 7 being in the
upper teens. Upload speed varied very little, worst being 17.4 and the
best 18.29Mbps.

What is going on? I'm totally confused :-(

Malcolm
Old January 12th 19, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mr Pounder Esquire

Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

My speeds using speedtest.net were a bit slower a few weeks ago.
I turned off the Superhub 3 for a few mins and then turned it back on.
Speeds went back to normal.
Try it.

Old January 12th 19, 06:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sat 12/01/2019 13:55, Malcolm Loades wrote:
[...]

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT there
are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have been
typing this I have done several checks:
Speedtest 111/6.0/10 as down/up/ping
Netmeter 82/6.3/10
uSwitch 114/6.0/?
Testmy.net 118.5/5.7/?

Several of the others clearly use speedtest and all gave more or less
the same figures.
I am on a VM 100Mb service and usually get 114/6/9 give or take
depending on time of day to some extent.

One question: are you doing your speedtests over wi-fi or a wired
connection? Wi-fi signal strengths and whether you are using 2.4GHz or
5GHz can make HUGE differences.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com
Old January 12th 19, 07:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT there
are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have been
typing this I have done several checks:
Speedtest*** 111/6.0/10 as down/up/ping
Netmeter*** 82/6.3/10
uSwitch******* 114/6.0/?
Testmy.net*** 118.5/5.7/?

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT Wholesale
site:
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

One question: are you doing your speedtests over wi-fi or a wired
connection? Wi-fi signal strengths and whether you are using 2.4GHz or
5GHz can make HUGE differences.

Yes, it's best to test using cabled connections.
Old January 12th 19, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

On Sat 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT
there are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have
been typing this I have done several checks:
Speedtest*** 111/6.0/10 as down/up/ping
Netmeter*** 82/6.3/10
uSwitch******* 114/6.0/?
Testmy.net*** 118.5/5.7/?

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT Wholesale
site:
****http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

One question: are you doing your speedtests over wi-fi or a wired
connection? Wi-fi signal strengths and whether you are using 2.4GHz or
5GHz can make HUGE differences.

Yes, it's best to test using cabled connections.

Oh dear. Just run the BT tester twice. First time it gave me a download
of 147Mb and the second time 356Mb, upload both times was about 5.9Mb
and the pings were 26 and 38mS.

Could it be confused because I'm on VM cable?

Old January 12th 19, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 12/01/2019 20:01, Woody wrote:

On Sat 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT
Wholesale site:
*****http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Oh dear. Just run the BT tester twice. First time it gave me a download
of 147Mb and the second time 356Mb, upload both times was about 5.9Mb
and the pings were 26 and 38mS.

Could it be confused because I'm on VM cable?

My comment above assumed an ADSL connection. For others there is going
to be some variability between the different possible pathways between
your outpoint and the server.
Old January 12th 19, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Malcolm Loades[_2_]

On 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT there
are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have been
typing this I have done several checks:
Speedtest*** 111/6.0/10 as down/up/ping
Netmeter*** 82/6.3/10
uSwitch******* 114/6.0/?
Testmy.net*** 118.5/5.7/?

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT Wholesale
site:
http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

4 sequential tests on btwholesale returned latency of 37.38 - 40.75,
download speed 49.72 - 242.24!!!!!, upload 13.74 - 15.32

Makes no more sense that the other dozen tests.

One question: are you doing your speedtests over wi-fi or a wired
connection? Wi-fi signal strengths and whether you are using 2.4GHz or
5GHz can make HUGE differences.

Yes, it's best to test using cabled connections.

All tests done using LAN cable, only one tab open in the browser, no
other network connections and no background processes.

Malcolm

Old January 12th 19, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 12/01/2019 20:48, Malcolm Loades wrote:
On 12/01/2019 19:42, Java Jive wrote:
On 12/01/2019 18:34, Woody wrote:

Generally speaking I get consistent results from speedtest.net BUT there
are other speed testing sites that vary wildly. Whilst I have been
typing this I have done several checks:
Speedtest*** 111/6.0/10 as down/up/ping
Netmeter*** 82/6.3/10
uSwitch******* 114/6.0/?
Testmy.net*** 118.5/5.7/?

For landline connections, you can't do much better than the BT Wholesale
site:
****http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

4 sequential tests on btwholesale returned latency of 37.38 - 40.75,
download speed 49.72 - 242.24!!!!!, upload 13.74 - 15.32

I just don't see that sort of variation in any test that I run, but then
I have a very slow connection anyway. Presumably the faster the
connection, the more other factors are significant in affecting download
speed.

Makes no more sense that the other dozen tests.

Nevertheless, it's the one that OpenReach uses, so you're getting it
'from the horse's mouth'!
Old January 13th 19, 08:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brighton Rock

[...]

It is not because you are on VM. Unfortunately the current version of
the Openreach test is broken with most browsers. Although some report it
working with Edge and Internet Explorer.

--

Michael

Old January 13th 19, 09:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 13/01/2019 08:45, Brighton Rock wrote:

It is not because you are on VM. Unfortunately the current version of
the Openreach test is broken with most browsers. Although some report it
working with Edge and Internet Explorer.

This sounds like ******** to me. I've used it successfully in Firefox
and Pale Moon. However it does require that you have Flash installed
for your browser, and enabled at least on an optional basis. I agree
that's a little outmoded now, but, as I've already pointed out, this is
the tester the one that, AIUI, OpenReach themselves use, so it's the
best one to use when reporting faults, etc.