the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

Old January 17th 19, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

Default the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

On Thursday, 17 January 2019 13:12:34 UTC, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/01/2019 09:15, NY wrote:

They're already making laptops without them: you have to buy an add-on
USB-Ethernet port if you want one, just as you have to buy an add-on
CD/DVD/BluRay drive if you want one.

It's sad to hear that, but I'm not surprised.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Optical drives can simply be used on another PC, but most software and content downloads these days rather than coming on CD's / DVD.

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged often liable to damage.

Indeed many lap tops can now cast the screen wirelessly to a TV rather than using VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP.

Old January 17th 19, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Optical drives can simply be used on another PC, but most software and content downloads these days rather than coming on CD's / DVD.

True, but if you want to install say a Linux distribution, they mostly
come as .iso files which have to be burnt to DVD to install. It's
possible to use a USB stick but it's a lot more complicated and
time-consuming.

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged often liable to damage.

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I get
with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

Indeed many lap tops can now cast the screen wirelessly to a TV rather than using VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP.

I've never managed to make that work, the TV (Sony Bravia) is supposed
to be capable of it, but I can never seem to get it right, easier to use
an HDMI cable. I have one that plugs into the laptop docking station and
just runs along the wall from the desk to the TV in the corner.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 17th 19, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:58:54 +0000, MissRiaElaine
wrote:

Optical drives can simply be used on another PC, but most software and content downloads these days rather than coming on CD's / DVD.

True, but if you want to install say a Linux distribution, they mostly
come as .iso files which have to be burnt to DVD to install. It's
possible to use a USB stick but it's a lot more complicated and
time-consuming.

Not really. There are several software utilities that can create a
bootable USB from an ISO file, "Etcher" for example. It only takes a
minute or so, and if you use a USB3 stick and plug it into a USB3
port, you'll find that the install will go a lot faster than a DVD.

Rod.
Old January 17th 19, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Optical drives can simply be used on another PC, but most software and
content downloads these days rather than coming on CD's / DVD.

That rather assumes that you have a fast internet connection. I've been used
to about 14-20 Mbps on FTTC in our last house, but the house where I'm now
living temporarily while we look for an new one struggles at around 1.2-1.5
Mbps so downloads are painfully slow - especially when my wife wanted to
upgrade her Win 7 PC to Win 10. Anything that comes on CD/DVD is a bonus!

True, but if you want to install say a Linux distribution, they mostly
come as .iso files which have to be burnt to DVD to install. It's possible
to use a USB stick but it's a lot more complicated and time-consuming.

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged
often liable to damage.

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I get
with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

I've not found any RJ45 plugs whose tabs *don't* break off after a few
insertions/removals. They are especially prone to the tab snapping if the
cable gets tangled and you try to pull the plug through loops of cable. The
ones with a protective rubber boot over the tab are a little better in that
respect. I've never had the tab of a BT phone plug snap - maybe thicker
plastic or a less brittle type.

Old January 17th 19, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager[_5_]

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 15:58:54 +0000, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Optical drives can simply be used on another PC, but most software and
content downloads these days rather than coming on CD's / DVD.

True, but if you want to install say a Linux distribution, they mostly
come as .iso files which have to be burnt to DVD to install.

Never say never. I have installed from an ISO image stored on a different
machine.

(cheating probably: using HP iLO)
Old January 18th 19, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Optical drives can simply be used on another PC, but most software and
content downloads these days rather than coming on CD's / DVD.

True, but if you want to install say a Linux distribution, they mostly
come as .iso files which have to be burnt to DVD to install. It's
possible to use a USB stick but it's a lot more complicated and
time-consuming.

It's only slightly more complicated (need to install the appropriate USB
creation software), but the process is essentially the same to burning a
disc: 1) download iso, 2) write to target, 3) reboot pc.

Using a usb is much faster both when "burning" and installing the os.

Old January 18th 19, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged
often liable to damage.

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I get
with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

You need to get snagless connectors where the tag is shielded from
catching on things. For example (note the moulded shields either side
of the tags):
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=158
Old January 18th 19, 02:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 18/01/2019 13:47, Java Jive wrote:
On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged
often liable to damage.

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I
get with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

You need to get snagless connectors where the tag is shielded from
catching on things.* For example (note the moulded shields either side
of the tags):
****http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=158

Yes, some of the patch leads I have are like that, but can you get
crimpable plugs for making your own leads..?

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 18th 19, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Java Jive

On 18/01/2019 14:20, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 18/01/2019 13:47, Java Jive wrote:

On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I
get with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

You need to get snagless connectors where the tag is shielded from
catching on things.* For example (note the moulded shields either side
of the tags):
*****http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=158

Yes, some of the patch leads I have are like that, but can you get
crimpable plugs for making your own leads..?

Same firm:
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=349

Scroll down a bit to, say, UT09711, and you'll find those and other
'snagless' boots where a 1/4-spherical hood covers the end of the tag.
IME, these are better than the first ones that I linked.
Old January 18th 19, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

"Java Jive" wrote in message
On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged
often liable to damage.

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I get
with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

You need to get snagless connectors where the tag is shielded from
catching on things. For example (note the moulded shields either side of
the tags):
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=158

Those "wings" do a pretty good job of shielding the tab, but it's still
possible for a cable (especially a narrower, non-Cat5 cable) to loop round
the tab, in a U shape within the wings. The best is the flexible rubber boot
over the connector and its tab, which makes them pretty much bomb-proof - as
long as the boot doesn't slip off the connector and end up half-way down the
cable.

I wonder why RJ11 and RJ45 tabs are so much more prone to snapping off than
the ones on BT phone connectors. Superior British design? More flexible,
less brittle type of plastic?