the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

Old January 18th 19, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NY

Default the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
On 18/01/2019 13:47, Java Jive wrote:
On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and unplugged
often liable to damage.

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I get
with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

You need to get snagless connectors where the tag is shielded from
catching on things. For example (note the moulded shields either side of
the tags):
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=158

Yes, some of the patch leads I have are like that, but can you get
crimpable plugs for making your own leads..?

You can, but I found it impossible to persuade the different colours of wire
to go into the correct holes in the plug and then to get a good contact with
the IDC terminal when you crimp. That was with a proper crimping tool.

Old January 18th 19, 02:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 18/01/2019 14:38, NY wrote:

I wonder why RJ11 and RJ45 tabs are so much more prone to snapping off
than the ones on BT phone connectors. Superior British design? More
flexible, less brittle type of plastic?

Could it be because the tab is on the side..? I agree they do look to be
more substantial in design.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 18th 19, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns[_5_]

MissRiaElaine wrote:

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

many lap tops can now cast the screen wirelessly to a TV rather
than using VGA/DVI/HDMI/DP.

I've never managed to make that work

I've had it work, but it was rather 'choppy' much easier to use a
chromecast (or I suspect a firestick, but I've never used one of they).
Old January 18th 19, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MissRiaElaine[_2_]

On 18/01/2019 14:41, NY wrote:
"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message

Yes, some of the patch leads I have are like that, but can you get
crimpable plugs for making your own leads..?

You can, but I found it impossible to persuade the different colours of
wire to go into the correct holes in the plug and then to get a good
contact with the IDC terminal when you crimp. That was with a proper
crimping tool.

Practice, although I admit even after 20 years I still get it wrong,
especially with stranded cable. Plus there are plugs you can get with a
guide into which you poke the wires before putting into the plug body
for crimping.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Old January 18th 19, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Wade[_3_]

On 18/01/2019 14:38, NY wrote:
"Java Jive" wrote in message
On 17/01/2019 15:58, MissRiaElaine wrote:

On 17/01/2019 13:27, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

A wired connection is fine, but when frequently plugged and
unplugged often liable to damage.

That can depend on the quality of the connectors. The main problem I
get with el-cheapo RJ45 plugs is the tags breaking off.

You need to get snagless connectors where the tag is shielded from
catching on things.* For example (note the moulded shields either side
of the tags):
http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=158

Those "wings" do a pretty good job of shielding the tab, but it's still
possible for a cable (especially a narrower, non-Cat5 cable) to loop
round the tab, in a U shape within the wings. The best is the flexible
rubber boot over the connector and its tab, which makes them pretty much
bomb-proof - as long as the boot doesn't slip off the connector and end
up half-way down the cable.

I wonder why RJ11 and RJ45 tabs are so much more prone to snapping off
than the ones on BT phone connectors. Superior British design? More
flexible, less brittle type of plastic?

Its a bit of a fiddle but it works....

https://www.instructables.com/id/Rep...Ethernet-Plug/

Dave
Old January 18th 19, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.[_3_]

"Java Jive" wrote in message
[...]

I've broken many of those too, usually when pulling a tangled cable.

At least the broken BT plug is stable in its socket; the spring
contacts on RJ types tend to unseat them.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 18th 19, 06:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers
critcher[_3_]

On 17/01/2019 11:06, Tony Mountifield wrote:
In article ,
Java Jive wrote:
On 17/01/2019 09:14, Chris Green wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
I'm waiting for a router to come out with no Ethernet ports at all.

Why? Even though you may only normally use WiFi, sometimes unforeseen
circumstances can make a faster cabled connection incredibly useful.

I didn't read that as "I'm hoping for a router with no Ethernet ports",
but rather as "I anticipate it's only a matter of time before routers
with no Ethernet ports come on the market."

Cheers
Tony

its a joke
Old January 18th 19, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Vir Campestris

On 18/01/2019 14:47, MissRiaElaine wrote:
Plus there are plugs you can get with a guide into which you poke the
wires before putting into the plug body for crimping.

I just bought some "Cat6" plugs which are like that (the holes are
staggered in a zigzag to be Cat6 compatible).

I find them _much_ easier to make up.

Andy
Old January 22nd 19, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers
Chris Bartram

On 16/01/2019 23:57, MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/01/2019 18:33, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number
of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are
offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no
wired connection faster than 100M.

I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and
that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so
its not really a problem. However, for anybody using a media server or
any other service on the LAN there's hardly any point in going
wireless at all

There must be some rationale for this, apart from plain cost cutting -
what is it ?

Apathy. Plus the belief of manufacturers that everybody uses wireless.
I'm waiting for a router to come out with no Ethernet ports at all.

Already happened. Google IIRC.