the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

Old January 29th 19, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless,alt.comp.networking.routers
Johann Beretta[_2_]

Default the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

On 1/28/19 3:26 AM, NY wrote:
"Johann Beretta" wrote in message
I'm not confusing anything.* If you have a 1gbps wireless router with
a 100MB ethernet port, you can d/l stuff from the internet/wired lan
at 100mbps.* No faster..

But.. you can transfer data to another wireless device at 1gbps IF
your devices can operate that fast.

Is it strictly true that a 1 Gbps wireless router can transfer data
wirelessly from PC 1 to PC 2 at that speed? Even assuming that there is
no other wireless traffic, doesn't the fact that the router is having to
handle two data streams (PC1 to router, router to PC2) reduce the data
rate - maybe to half the theoretical maximum.

I'd say you're absolutely correct. Still, that gives you 500mbps
transfer speed. I'm not really claiming it will even do that, I'm sure
there's processor overhead and whatnot, but I suspect that one could do
some number than 100 mbps.

I have found that my router, which advertises speeds of up to 400 Mbps,
rarely achieves a link speed to a computer of more than about 80 Mbps

I can believe that. So if we assume these scale linearly, then a router
advertising 1000 mbps should, theoretically, be able to transfer from pc
to pc at 200 mbps which would be double the ethernet port.

I always plug it
into Ethernet because I get a dramatically better transfer speed.

Of that I have no doubt. There are many factors that affect wireless
transmissions, but nevertheless my only point was that a router with a
100 mbps port can still transfer data faster than 100mbps. Yeah, it
would make a whole hell of a lot more sense to have a 1000mbps ethernet
port, but it's not an isolated case.

Ubiquiti pulled that crap with nearly every M series device they ever
sold (with a few exceptions). Using a 40MHz signal, one could get a
300mbps connection, the system was full duplex which gives you a 150
mbps connection in both directions. But since the radios had to connect
to the rest of the network with the ethernet port, the 100mbps port was
a significant bottleneck.

(*) This is for a situation where there are no other wifi networks in
range and the laptop is within a few feet of the router.

Agreed