BroadbanterBanter

BroadbanterBanter (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/forum.php)
-   uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/uk-telecom-broadband-uk-broadband/)
-   -   the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ? (http://www.broadbandbanter.co.uk/44914-lesser-spotted-gigabit-ethernet-port.html)

Abandoned Trolley January 16th 19 06:33 PM

the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

hi there

I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number
of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are
offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no wired
connection faster than 100M.

I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and
that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so
its not really a problem. However, for anybody using a media server or
any other service on the LAN there's hardly any point in going wireless
at all

There must be some rationale for this, apart from plain cost cutting -
what is it ?

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

MissRiaElaine[_2_] January 16th 19 11:57 PM

On 16/01/2019 18:33, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number
of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are
offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no wired
connection faster than 100M.

I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and
that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so
its not really a problem. However, for anybody using a media server or
any other service on the LAN there's hardly any point in going wireless
at all

There must be some rationale for this, apart from plain cost cutting -
what is it ?

Apathy. Plus the belief of manufacturers that everybody uses wireless.
I'm waiting for a router to come out with no Ethernet ports at all.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

Bob Eager[_5_] January 17th 19 12:00 AM

On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 23:57:41 +0000, MissRiaElaine wrote:

[...]

Has never bothered me. The router I use isn't even wireless. I use one
wired connection into the main gigabit switches (with a firewall box in
between, as it happens). I do have wireless APs hung off the gigfabit
network. So the only thing that's on the 100Mb/s connection is the VDSL
link - which is much slower than that.

Chris Green January 17th 19 09:14 AM

MissRiaElaine wrote:
[...]

All three FTTC routers I've tried (a D-Link, a TP-Link and a Draytek)
recently have had four Gigabit ports, though my old Draytek 2820n has
only one Gigabit port and three 100Mb/s. I think *modern* routers do
now tend to have all Gigabit.

--
Chris Green

NY January 17th 19 09:15 AM

"MissRiaElaine" wrote in message
[...]

They're already making laptops without them: you have to buy an add-on
USB-Ethernet port if you want one, just as you have to buy an add-on
CD/DVD/BluRay drive if you want one.

Java Jive January 17th 19 09:34 AM

On 17/01/2019 09:14, Chris Green wrote:
MissRiaElaine wrote:
On 16/01/2019 18:33, Abandoned Trolley wrote:

hi there

I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number
of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are
offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no wired
connection faster than 100M.

Given that Gigabit cabling and switches and PCs with Gigabit ports have
all been widely and cheaply available for over a decade, I think it's
reprehensible. But you can only vote with your wallet - just don't
buy kit with only Fast Ethernet capability.

I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and
that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so
its not really a problem. However, for anybody using a media server or
any other service on the LAN there's hardly any point in going wireless
at all

Agreed. The moment you start backing up PC OS image files or media
files over your LAN, Gigabit comes into its own. As it happens I've had
to revert temporarily to having my servers connected to the rest of the
LAN via WiFi, and even though it's 802.11n accessing them is treacle slow.

There must be some rationale for this, apart from plain cost cutting -
what is it ?

Plus the belief of manufacturers that everybody uses wireless.

Yes.

I'm waiting for a router to come out with no Ethernet ports at all.

Why? Even though you may only normally use WiFi, sometimes unforeseen
circumstances can make a faster cabled connection incredibly useful.

All three FTTC routers I've tried (a D-Link, a TP-Link and a Draytek)
recently have had four Gigabit ports, though my old Draytek 2820n has
only one Gigabit port and three 100Mb/s. I think *modern* routers do
now tend to have all Gigabit.

Yes, same here - Cisco WAG320n and DrayTek 2830n.

Tony Mountifield January 17th 19 11:06 AM

the lesser spotted Gigabit Ethernet port ?

MissRiaElaine wrote:
I'm waiting for a router to come out with no Ethernet ports at all.

Why? Even though you may only normally use WiFi, sometimes unforeseen
circumstances can make a faster cabled connection incredibly useful.

I didn't read that as "I'm hoping for a router with no Ethernet ports",
but rather as "I anticipate it's only a matter of time before routers
with no Ethernet ports come on the market."

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk

R. Mark Clayton[_2_] January 17th 19 11:53 AM

On Wednesday, 16 January 2019 18:34:02 UTC, Abandoned Trolley wrote:
hi there

I am just wondering what the general view is of the astonishing number
of wireless routers on the market (both xDSL and cable) which are
offering wireless connections of hundreds of megabits, but have no wired
connection faster than 100M.

I realise that most connections are directed toward the internet, and
that that majority of customers have download speeds less than 100M so
its not really a problem. However, for anybody using a media server or
any other service on the LAN there's hardly any point in going wireless
at all

There must be some rationale for this, apart from plain cost cutting -
what is it ?

AT

---
https://www.avg.com

Not my experience - BT routers since Hub5 in 2013 have Gigabit ports and manages well more than 100Mbps on wireless.

MissRiaElaine[_2_] January 17th 19 01:10 PM

On 17/01/2019 00:00, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 23:57:41 +0000, MissRiaElaine wrote:

Apathy. Plus the belief of manufacturers that everybody uses wireless.
I'm waiting for a router to come out with no Ethernet ports at all.

Has never bothered me. The router I use isn't even wireless. I use one
wired connection into the main gigabit switches (with a firewall box in
between, as it happens). I do have wireless APs hung off the gigfabit
network. So the only thing that's on the 100Mb/s connection is the VDSL
link - which is much slower than that.

I have the Sky Q router for my sins, it's not the best by any stretch of
the imagination, but it works. Only real drawbacks are no easy wall
mounting fixings and only 2 Ethernet ports, but at least both are
Gigabit. Only use one of them to link to the main switch in the rack
anyway, and all I use wireless for is the occasional checking of email
on the phone if there aren't any PC's switched on.

--
Ria in Aberdeen

MissRiaElaine[_2_] January 17th 19 01:12 PM

On 17/01/2019 09:15, NY wrote:

They're already making laptops without them: you have to buy an add-on
USB-Ethernet port if you want one, just as you have to buy an add-on
CD/DVD/BluRay drive if you want one.

It's sad to hear that, but I'm not surprised.

--
Ria in Aberdeen