Why would I be told "no carrier" when there are green lights at bothends?

Old January 17th 19, 06:32 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

Default Why would I be told "no carrier" when there are green lights at bothends?

I have a Linux server (actually a Dell PC mini-tower) with three network
connections: one via the onboard socket and the other two via PCIe cards.

On one of the cards there is no network connectivity and "networkctl"
says "no-carrier". But there are green lights on the NIC and on the
switch port at the other end (yes I tried a different cable).

I thought a green light meant there was a carrier, i.e. that level 0 was
operating. I must be wrong, but what do the lights mean in that case?

--
Henry Law n e w s @ l a w s h o u s e . o r g
Manchester, England
Old January 17th 19, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jaimie Vandenbergh

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 18:32:48 +0000, Henry Law
wrote:

I have a Linux server (actually a Dell PC mini-tower) with three network
connections: one via the onboard socket and the other two via PCIe cards.

On one of the cards there is no network connectivity and "networkctl"
says "no-carrier". But there are green lights on the NIC and on the
switch port at the other end (yes I tried a different cable).

I thought a green light meant there was a carrier, i.e. that level 0 was
operating. I must be wrong, but what do the lights mean in that case?

That's what they're supposed to mean, and usually do.

I had an Intel X540 fail on me recently that presented the same as
yours, lights up but no traffic on either port. Firmware would still try
and PXEboot, the card was recognised and driver loaded by the OS, no
carrier. Everything was working except the actual networking. Same
behaviour under CentOS and FreeBSD. Firmware update made no change.

Toss into the recyclers and pick up a new one.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"I'd tried caffeine a few times; it made me believe I was focused and
energetic, but it turned my judgment to ****. Widespread use of
Old January 17th 19, 11:16 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Henry Law

On 17/01/2019 19:04, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
Toss into the recyclers and pick up a new one.

PS you were quite right. Replaced and it's now working fine. Thank you.

Old January 18th 19, 11:25 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking
Jaimie Vandenbergh

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:16:09 +0000, Henry Law
wrote:

On 17/01/2019 19:04, Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
Toss into the recyclers and pick up a new one.

PS you were quite right. Replaced and it's now working fine. Thank you.

Sometimes it's the only language these *******s understand.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
I love children, especially when they cry, for then someone takes them away.
-- Nancy Mitford